Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Epidemic Water Pump Problem!

Old 10-05-2009, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Invertalon
Question,

I have 34,500 miles now... Would this be covered under bumper-2-bumper warranty (@ 3yr/36k) or the powertrain one? (@ 5yr/60k).

Just so I know how soon I need to get it in! I plan to next week though.
If the car is under 3 yrs old then bumper-bumper otherwise your powertrain covers it. The warranty is the warranty, the amount it covers just changes as your car gets older. (Bumper-bumper -> Powertrain -> Nothing )
Old 10-05-2009, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I first heard the "noise" from the pulleys around 18k miles or so and have started seeing the pink around 25k miles, maybe a little earlier. Im glad we've figured this out. Hopefully its not a recurring problem... And Im thinking maybe belt tension has something to do with it.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it's this widespread, a tsb may be coming.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I really do hope so!
Old 10-06-2009, 02:10 AM

Default Sigh....

Originally Posted by elwaylite
If it's this widespread, a tsb may be coming.
So what though if it's a basic design flaw what can they really do about it? It seems like there's a pretty obvious flaw in the design of the water pump and simply replacing it with a new OEM one seems like little more than a stop gap measure. Some people will get lucky I suppose and never have problems others I'm sure will go through pumps every 20k miles until they give up and get a different car. I really love my Tc but this kind of thing makes me wish I would have went with the older slightly higher mileage RSX....

We shall see what the dealer says after Thursday...
Old 10-06-2009, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i beleive if i am correct, when i ordered my water pump to have it replaced there was a superceeded part number, i will double check tomorrow, the only reason really for toyota to do this is if they changed the design/maker of the water pump. Im sure steps have been taken to correct the problem.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They would redesign, they arent just going to keep giving you a pump every 30k miles.

They are still building 2.4's ya know, it would not be very smart to keep making them with a faulty part.

Originally Posted by Omikron77
So what though if it's a basic design flaw what can they really do about it? It seems like there's a pretty obvious flaw in the design of the water pump and simply replacing it with a new OEM one seems like little more than a stop gap measure. Some people will get lucky I suppose and never have problems others I'm sure will go through pumps every 20k miles until they give up and get a different car. I really love my Tc but this kind of thing makes me wish I would have went with the older slightly higher mileage RSX....

We shall see what the dealer says after Thursday...
Old 10-06-2009, 02:37 AM
5 Year Member

the 2AZ's always have problems with the water pumps. if you have the pink stuff on your hood, look down and check the water pump BEHIND the pulley. if there's pink crusty build up there, you'll need a new pump. i can't even tell you how many water pumps i've had to replace on these motors, they just always go bad.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:43 PM

Default Who knows...

Originally Posted by hothotpete
the 2AZ's always have problems with the water pumps. if you have the pink stuff on your hood, look down and check the water pump BEHIND the pulley. if there's pink crusty build up there, you'll need a new pump. i can't even tell you how many water pumps i've had to replace on these motors, they just always go bad.
Yeah when I spoke to the tech at the dealer you could tell he's heard the phrase "pink line on my hood liner" many times. He was like oh yeah those little engines do that all the time. So not sure if there is a redesign out there or not, maybe I'll ask when I take it in.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

got the same ____...calling it in today...how long did this take to get fixed?
Old 10-06-2009, 01:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had to order the parts a day in advance, cause my dealer dosent stock anything. As for the labor i dont see it being longer then an hour.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that would be great if i could wait for it! but we will see...im still waiting to talk to the service dept. im at work and dont want to go there unless something is about to get done...
Old 10-06-2009, 03:53 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Anyone know how hard it is to change out the water pump? I may just buy one from my local parts store and have my buddy change it out. I dread going to the dealership (bad experiences in the past). The OEM pump sounds like a POS, I might as well buy an aftermarket one and atleast have a "lifetime warranty" in case it happens again.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Set my appointment with dealer for 10:30am next Tuesday... See what happens!
Old 10-06-2009, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

going in at noon...will report later this afternoon...
Old 10-06-2009, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

like previously stated its the water pump. the bearing (by the belt) is forced out a bit or a lot (dont know, caused by preassure) and it causes a lil leak and thats how it gets on the belt and thats how it gets sprayed on the engine bay.

part will be there tomorrow or thursday, labor takes about 1.5 hours and its covered under warranty...

highly advise going to get this done if you havent yet...
Old 10-06-2009, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member

AAG: it's pretty easy to do given that you have a belt remover tool and some sockets and pry bar and some mechanical knowledge. if you have someone do it in the garage, make sure you remove ALL THE GASKET CRAP that's on the block, and make sure you use FIPG to seal the new pump. then you'll need to bleed your cooling system. have fun man!
Old 10-06-2009, 11:44 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by hothotpete
AAG: it's pretty easy to do given that you have a belt remover tool and some sockets and pry bar and some mechanical knowledge. if you have someone do it in the garage, make sure you remove ALL THE GASKET CRAP that's on the block, and make sure you use FIPG to seal the new pump. then you'll need to bleed your cooling system. have fun man!
Thanks for the info!
Old 10-07-2009, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've got the pink spray line on the bottom of my hood too (47k miles); I guess it's off to the dealership.

Glad I got the Toyota Platinum extended service contract, so at least I know replacements will be covered up to 100k miles.

Last edited by CIONIDE; 10-07-2009 at 02:23 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:24 AM

Seriously it's an epidemic!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Epidemic Water Pump Problem!