Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

finally got some toys to play with

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 05:33 AM
SL Member

Default finally got some toys to play with

So after a year of owning my car, I finally got the funds *permission* to mod my car a bit.

i got the strup cat back exhaust from fastscions. Shoutout to joseph for hookin me up. they are good ppl there

and i got my axis apex rims from vividracing (they offer 6months bill me later) which def helps.

I like these rims because they are staggered, but the width of the rims are the same. 17x8 all the way around. 2.75" lip in the front and 4" lip in the rear.

i will def update when everything gets here. the exhaust should be in by friday and the rims the next week after.

i do have a few questions.

for the exhaust, will i be able to install it myself (with friends)? is it a bolt on or do i need to weld?

for the rims. I still need to get some tires. i'm assuming everyone is going to recommend tirerack? how much should mounting and balancing along with tpms swap cost? the tire size will be 225/45/17

i would usually just go to a local shop to get it all done, but the tire rack prices are cheaper.

any suggestions what is the best way to get tires?

I will be sure to update on friday and over the weekend. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2010, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Congrats on the New Toys!Exhaust can def be done with friend's as a weekend project bolt on and go! Just have good tools, jack stands and plenty of water or Beer! Great looking wheel congrats on that!

I have had my car since 2007 (Brand new) and just now got wheels but still not installed, still gotta get them powder coated. I did a bunch of other mods (springs,exhaust,intake,strut and sway bar and lots of other mod's) but never wheels till now lol

Ebay is also a great place to get a set of new tires from at a great price!

Also what color is your xB?
Old 07-14-2010, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jaytrey
i do have a few questions.

for the exhaust, will i be able to install it myself (with friends)? is it a bolt on or do i need to weld?

for the rims. I still need to get some tires. i'm assuming everyone is going to recommend tirerack? how much should mounting and balancing along with tpms swap cost? the tire size will be 225/45/17

i would usually just go to a local shop to get it all done, but the tire rack prices are cheaper.

any suggestions what is the best way to get tires?

I will be sure to update on friday and over the weekend. Thanks!
As for the Strup exhaust, its very simple to put on. Just lift the rear end of the car and slide under. I would recommend using PB blaster or some sort in case rust builds up on the bolts. Everything that came with the Strup installation should be enough for you to DIY.

As for the tires, Cionide should be here soon.

For TPMS, I left them on my steelies since I will be switching within seasons.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:22 PM
SL Member

yea, of course i have requested his assistance on this matter. He recommended going with tire rack.

as for the strup, will i need to replace the gasket at all? and where can i get some of that pb blaster?
Old 07-14-2010, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pb blaster can be obtained in an auto store. I live in baltimore as well and wouldn't mind helping you if you needed it.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how much is that strup exhuast anyways... drew do you haveit on your car? how does it suond.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:39 PM
SL Member

$344 after the scionlife discount and shipping from cali.

not bad, but it's a catback as well which sealed the deal for me.

@ richtc: sure..i could use all the help i can get
Old 07-14-2010, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have the strup its a nice exhaust, its not loud at all and has a nice tone to it. Doesn't sound "ricey" at all. Its really easy to put on too Jay, we put mine on in no time at all. If you need help give me a shout.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:51 PM
SL Member

sweet, the more the merrier...i'm also trying to get the nf210's...is that a simple DIY as well? i was reading that i need to rent a compressor or something like that? how long would that take?
Old 07-14-2010, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by papo
how much is that strup exhuast anyways... drew do you haveit on your car? how does it suond.

Na papo i have the Tsudo cat back exhaust and i love it! Looks great and sounds perfect. Have had it since Jan 2008. Peter also has the same exhaust, once he saw and herd mine he had to have it. If you wanna hear it in person sometime just let me know..

Video my friend took.

Sorry for the thread Jack...

Strup is also a great sounding exhaust! A+
Old 07-14-2010, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

Have it Love it.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea, of course i have requested his assistance on this matter. He recommended going with tire rack.
I recommend TireRack & DiscountTireDirect for research, but I recommend a local brick-and-mortar tire shop for purchase & installation of tires. That way if anything goes wrong, or you need to use a road hazard warranty, you have a local place to take care of things quickly. If you get your tires online, many places will make you take off the bad tire & ship it back to them before honoring any kind of warranty purchased from their internet site. Additionally, most shops charge a lot less for mounting & balancing if you purchased your tires from them.

I bought my tires & wheels from America's Tire Co. and they swapped the TPMS sensors for free (only charged me for the rebuild kit), charged a low price for mount & balance, and when I got a nail in the sidewall 1 week after install they had me rolling on a brand new tire (no charge) the very next morning that they borrowed from another tire shop in town because they didn't have my size in stock. Service with a smile.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:12 PM
SL Member

yea, i had the same concern. it's always nice to get something local, that way if anything goes wrong, i can get it fixed fast. however, the prices at my local shop are really not that great. cheapest tire is charging $118 while the same tire on tirerack is like $88.

decisions decisions. my fellow md ppl, got any advice?

we got mr.tire, merchants, ntb, pepboys, and the other regular places like good sears, goodyear...etc etc...

anyone have any input on tires?

thanks
Old 07-14-2010, 11:44 PM
SL Member

ok, quick update.

i just called sears to see how much tires would cost if i got them from there and the lady said that the XB needs at least a V speed rating which means that the tires start out at $200 a pop. Is this true?

i'm not a speed demon by any sense...so i was a bit puzzled by this. any suggestions?

thanks
Old 07-15-2010, 12:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Considering the fact that the OEM Goodyear RS-A tires are H rated (up to 130 mph), and the xB is top speed limited to 127 mph, I respectfully suggest that she doesn't know wtf she is talking about.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Considering the fact that the OEM Goodyear RS-A tires are H rated (up to 130 mph), and the xB is top speed limited to 127 mph, I respectfully suggest that she doesn't know wtf she is talking about.
hahahahamy new sig!
love it!!!!!
Old 07-15-2010, 02:36 AM
SL Member

Hmm...unfortunately, it still seems that sears has the better pricing around the area, even tho the lady was dumb as hell
Old 07-15-2010, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sweet, the more the merrier...i'm also trying to get the nf210's...is that a simple DIY as well? i was reading that i need to rent a compressor or something like that? how long would that take?
The springs shouldn't be too hard if you have the right tools. You can rent a compressor for cheap down payment and which will be reimbursed once you give it back. I suggest you find someone with an air gun to make life easier when you compress springs. When I installed my H-Techs, I used the help of 2 other friends and compressed the springs by manpower and weight. I don't suggest taking the steps I followed. Very unsafe, lol.

As for time, my total was 5 hours, without power tools and a couple of beer breaks.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Springs will probably take you a few hours. The toughest part is actually swapping them off and back on the struts.

A air compressor definitely makes the spring compressing process alot easier, instead of manually cranking it with a wrench.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:07 PM
SL Member

strup exhaust came in yesterday. going to put it on this afternoon. i'll post pics when it's all done!

Quick Reply: finally got some toys to play with