Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Gas mileage left?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 05:56 AM
5 Year Member

Default Gas mileage left?

Hey guys,

I had a question regarding the gas mileage left when you fill up. Now I tend to always have my gauge reading how many miles I have left before my next fill up. I know some like to have avg. mph or mpg but I like the gas mileage left reading.

My question is, when you fill up what is the number that it says for you?

Mine always says 234-238.

Now please correct if I'm wrong, but the 2nd gen xB has a 14 gallon tank. Now if we use city miles to the gallon, then that would be 22 miles times 14 gallons which would equal 308 miles. To get close to 234 that would have to mean that the car actually has a 10-11 gallon tank.

So I may be totally wrong but if I'm not, then is my mileage left before my next fill up wrong? Is there something I'm missing? Does the computer that gauges how many miles left calculate it differently?

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-24-2015, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm willing to bet the car's computer estimates to when the low gas light will come on (a few gallons left in the tank). I doubt that Scion/Toyota would want you literally draining the tank every time because you see you still have miles left.

I wouldn't worry about it.

My tC has a 14 Gallon tank, but when I fill up when the gauge reads absolute zero, I still only put about 12.5 Gallons in.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member

When you put it that way, it would make sense to have that gallon or two hidden from the reading. I don't think they want you to push the car to the brink of being empty. Maybe I'll switch it over to avg mpg.

Appreciate the reply Basebllstar!
Old 02-27-2015, 03:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You have exactly 1 gallon of fuel remaining when the light comes on in any 4 cyl Toyota. The computer estimates the distance you can travel using your average MPG from the display. Ive tested it also and the math works out.
I agree it should have a better system of updating the miles left like when you fill up or once every 30 min or something. With the way i drive mine give or take a gallon says around 19 mpg on average i checked that today. s
So if multiply 14gal x 19mpg = 266 miles

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-08-2019 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:55 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Keffer69
you have exactly 1 gallon of fuel remaining when the light comes on in any 4 cyl toyota. The computer estimates the distance you can travel using your average MPG from the display. Ive tested it also and the math works out. I agree it should have a better system of updating the miles left like when you fill up or once every 30 min or something. With the way i drive mine give or take a gallon says around 19 mpg on average i checked that today. so if multiply 14gal x 19mpg = 266 miles
Whoa, I never would have guessed that. So the computer learns how you drive then based on that it estimates the mileage left. Crazy! I wonder if there's a way to reset the computer. Only because I got the car not long ago and only put gas in it 3 times so far.

Regardless, glad to know it varies by driver.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The computer doesnt really learn how you drive. They all have the ability to display your average MPG. Whatever is displayed on your average mpg screen the computer uses that along with your fuel level to determine how many miles you have left. But it should auto update... and in real time take into consideration all the factors at any given time to give an accurate reading
Old 03-03-2015, 12:12 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Keffer69
you have exactly 1 gallon of fuel remaining when the light comes on in any 4 cyl Toyota.
Not true. I usually fill up the moment the light turns on and it only takes 10-10.5 gallons. The low fuel light is very conservative on the xB.

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-22-2020 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 11-13-2015, 03:17 AM

My 2008 does not have a 14 gallon tank. No way. It's 11 gallons give or take. I like keeping mpg as drive and I check my current driving habits somewhat in check by tracking avg mpg. And my average mpg is steady between 27 and 28- over 89% highway.

Last edited by Analia; 11-13-2015 at 03:19 AM. Reason: add avg mpg
Old 11-13-2015, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by Analia
My 2008 does not have a 14 gallon tank. No way. It's 11 gallons give or take.
Did you change out your fuel tank for a smaller tank???

http://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=...ank%20capacity

https://www.scion.com/models/xB/2015/specs

Or a screen shot right from the owners manual.....

Old 11-16-2015, 12:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
The Family
SL Member

Correct, 14 gal tank per the owners manual. I am personally glad the light comes on with couple gallons or so left. Reminder to fill it up when I see a station. It removes the excuse, I didn't know I was about out of gas. Yes I've heard it, and yes they got an ___ chewing for being Stupid.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive run mine way past E to the point where my family gets nervous about it and the most I've ever seen go in is 12.8 gallons. I don't like that the gages are conservative. My preference is that the miles left is exact and as soon as I hit zero I want to run out of gas and put the full 14 gallons in the tank. To me this is like people that set there clocks ten minutes fast so they are on time. If they know their clock is fast then they can account for that.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I was going to post up a similar question, First off, I didn't know the 2008+ had a 14 gal size gas tank, I had looked it up before and ran across it saying it was 12 and it made sense because when the wife ran it to E it was filling up with 12ish gal.

Now, the initial question was the "distance to empty" used to read 300+ and now when I fill up the tank it reads 280ish. Is there anything other than age that can throw that calibration off? maybe a fuel pump? It is a 2009 and stock other than springs and wheels.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You list wheels, tire size will change distance per revolution ya know
Old 12-10-2015, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheotherBMan
You list wheels, tire size will change distance per revolution ya know
I've had wheels for a while now. I flushed my trans and it was back at the 300+ then just recently when I fill it up hits about 280.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Could be 'winter fuel' I drop a couple mpg's on that mix
Old 05-31-2019, 10:38 PM
SL Member

I don't understand why some of you guys are only getting 280 out of a tank. Basic math, 12 gallon tank @ 30mpg is 360 miles.... And from what I read we have a 2 gallon reserve so some of us should be able to hit 400miles no? Sure I don't like the light coming on but some of these reports seem low.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:49 AM
SL Member

I'm still running my numbers, although without making any factual comments based upon my data I'm not impressed with the mileage I'm getting. I will be filling up today and road trip this weekend for my last test. My dash indicator shows 24mpg to 30mpg around town, work commute.
Let of the pedal and it swells to 80+mpg Just not happening in real life according to my math. Appears to be more like 19mpg averaged per tank. I get better than that in my heavy boat 4Runner with a 4Liter v6. We'll see after this weekend data compiled. I think my xB's computer is very generous.

GoodVibes... I know this is an old thread you started, I will post my number you originally requested tonight. I hope your still her and see it.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-01-2020 at 11:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-01-2020, 11:11 PM
SL Member

Okay, a solid 19.9 mpg around town daily commute heavy traffic, lots of stop and go with A/C on. (that's pretty weak)... I get the same in my 6200lb. 4Runner around town.
I achieved 29.9 mpg today highway, cruise set at 70mph with spurts of almost 90mph, still ran smooth as silk, just didn't feel stable over 80mph. Miles to empty displayed after fill up 275 miles.
I really enjoy this little car, disappointed in the fuel economy.

Last edited by semscion; 02-02-2020 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:13 PM
SL Member

My third tank, city driving and driving like a grandma trying to get better mileage...only 20.4 mpg accelerating slowly, coasting to stops. Horrible mileage for a small car I might as well put my foot in it and enjoy driving it.

Anybody get better city mileage, post up please.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:07 AM
SL Member

Mine is a 2012 xB and I do not much care for the fuel widget. I find it annoying and the information is false.
It is usually set on average as this changes the least and therefore is the least distracting.
The widget reads my average mileage at 26.2 MPG however every time I calculate it after filling it comes closer to 25.
I would much rather have an oil pressure gauge or coolant temperature, so I bought a cheap tablet from amazon and a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle to monitor that more important stuff on long road trips.

Quick Reply: Gas mileage left?