Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

New xB Haters. What's the verdict?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bB2NER
I absolutely love everything written here so far. It almost brought a tear to my eye.
My one worry is... How are we supposed to treat these new xB and xD owners at meets. They won't love the same stuff we do now that they have a completely different genre of vehicle. It's kinda like the way the tC owners think they are better than the classic xB owners. It a strange time right now in Scion land and I hope it all works out for the best.
I totally understand... I too remember the days before the tC.... Before the street racing threads and such. It WAS crazy when a bunch of new tC owners (SCION owners) joined the boards and started dissing the "ugly box car"

Once again it will be strange when this whole new audience arrives. This time, with 2 more vehicles, and the tC, the original JDM xA/xB will become the minority.

-THE DON
Old 04-05-2007, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by THE_DON
I absolutely love everything written here so far. It almost brought a tear to my eye.
My one worry is... How are we supposed to treat these new xB and xD owners at meets. They won't love the same stuff we do now that they have a completely different genre of vehicle. It's kinda like the way the tC owners think they are better than the classic xB owners. It a strange time right now in Scion land and I hope it all works out for the best.
I totally understand... I too remember the days before the tC.... Before the street racing threads and such. It WAS crazy when a bunch of new tC owners (SCION owners) joined the boards and started dissing the "ugly box car"

Once again it will be strange when this whole new audience arrives. This time, with 2 more vehicles, and the tC, the original JDM xA/xB will become the minority.

-THE DON
I hope there will still be a place for us to fit in. Or will we have to join a different forum that caters to only first gen xB/xAs?
Old 04-06-2007, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

-THE DON
I hope there will still be a place for us to fit in. Or will we have to join a different forum that caters to only first gen xB/xAs?

Not true for all of us tC owners. I do love my tC and all...but i still love the box especially and have thought of a million different ways that i would do things if i got one...and i almost bought one along with my tC...but decided to have my front yard completely re-landscaped instead. The xB's and xA's will always have a place at scion meets as they are the OG's.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I personally still like the old box better. The new one looks funny, it's not the JDM tuner car it used to be, and I stand by my original opinion that Scion set out to build a 4-door tC after the success they had with it.

I think the new xB is kinda like the new Beetle. (stay with me here) Same car, same name, just better in every way. Looks are subjective, but it's definitely a whole new car for a whole new crowd. Did the new Beetle ruin the original Beetle's reputation? No. Did VW loose all credibilty for destroying a classic? Not realy. Are there still old guys fixing up classic Bugs? Sure.

-THE DON
I have to TOTALLY agree with these quotes. I think Scion really jumped the gun on pulling the plug on the 1st gen xB so soon. The original xB is like the original VW Beetle. It has PERSONALITY just like the old Beetle did. I think that it had more years of production left in it ... and future sales probably would not have lagged either.

I don't think buyers of the new xB are going to be happy with the gas mileage they will get compared to the old one.

If you looked up the word "practical" in the dictionary you would have seen a picture of an xB.

20 years from now I will be one of those old guys fixing up my Classic xB!
Old 04-06-2007, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'm already an old guy fixing up a classic xb..........
Old 04-06-2007, 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by OldYeller
I'm already an old guy fixing up a classic xb..........
That's funny! In 20 years I'll be 55 too! But you'll be 75!
Old 04-06-2007, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was just at my dealership today researching the tC for a friend at work, and my dealer had just gotten some info on the new B2's. We spent like an hour just geeking out over the car.

I know a lot of people say Scion listened to the wrong people when they drafted the new model, but OH MY DOG, they listened to EVERYTHING. Map lights. Better radio. Better interfaces. Airbags. The high-riding status is the same, the front-and-center gauge cluster is the same, the modability is the same, but the FEATURES....

I wasn't sold on the look of these things, but trust me: every single thing that has ever made you go "mmm, wish I could change _______" on your gen 1 has been addressed on the B2's. Addressed and improved.

I had decided months ago that I was going to hang on to my classic xB until...well...until someone pried the keys out of my cold, dead fingers. After the Auto Show, I decided that if some idiot in a Silverado DID destroy my box, I'd be happy in one of the new ones. After TRULY seeing the specs.....I think I might trade up.

It's REALLY AWESOME. :D Seriously!

The features, the look, the PRICE...makes me want to start surfing for Scion gear again. :D Take it from a cynical, skeptical 25-year-old...the B2's are just as fun as the originals...if not more so.

So, Scion's brilliant marketing and, let's face it, industry-leading features have sold me yet again. Now I just need May to hurry up and get here so I can test-drive the new ones.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I'm aiming to never let my classic xB get run down. It's only original once!

Then we have posts like ZOMGXB (just using you as example, nothing personal) where he is already to jump ship and buy that new thing already because it has better this or faster that. I'm sorry but just because it has a Scion emblem on it doesn't mean you gotta buy it. It's truly amazing how quickly some of these so called xB lovers are ready to buy the next "BIG" thing. It has none of the original charm the classic xB has. It's bloated, rounded, heavy and ugly. The xB is square slender, lightweight and cute.

If something did happen to my xB I would be on the lookout for as nice a RS1.0 I could find and buy it! A true die hard classic xB owner till I die!!!
Old 04-06-2007, 07:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm aiming to never let my classic xB get run down. It's only original once!

Then we have posts like ZOMGXB (just using you as example, nothing personal) where he is already to jump ship and buy that new thing already because it has better this or faster that. I'm sorry but just because it has a Scion emblem on it doesn't mean you gotta buy it. It's truly amazing how quickly some of these so called xB lovers are ready to buy the next "BIG" thing. It has none of the original charm the classic xB has. It's bloated, rounded, heavy and ugly. The xB is square slender, lightweight and cute.

If something did happen to my xB I would be on the lookout for as nice a RS1.0 I could find and buy it! A true die hard classic xB owner till I die!!!
I have to agree on the people jumping ship. I also have to agree with the statement made earlier about the people with tc's treating first gen xa and xb drives diff.... I dont get that one at all. As said before there will be a place for the xa and 1g xb's, I am happy I got the 06 xa cuz its going to be one of the special ones since the different bumpers and all of course there are the rs's still.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I agree! They got the 06 xA right then killed it off. Who am I to figure out what Scion decides? Heck they still have the same dark as heck old people colors.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Excellent interpretation! Did you actually READ my post at some point, or just skim it enough to know I'm warming up to the B2's?

My dealer took me feature-by-feature through the stuff the new one had. He technically wasn't supposed to show me ANY of it, so I can't go into details here, but this isn't a case of OH GOD BIGGER ENGINE I'LL TAKE ONE IN EACH COLOR LOL. I tell you, man, it has exactly the same staggering amount of never-before-seen I-can't-believe-I'm-getting-ALL-THIS-for-under-$40,000 features that sold me on the original before I had even taken it for a test drive.

Sure, it doesn't have the charm of the original xB. But you know what? Nothing is EVER going to have the charm of the original xB. Okay? Is everybody with me? We're talking about the vehicle that basically made the entire minicar class happen! Nothing's ever going to be as exciting or cute or shocking. But as a follow up...ye gods, man, take another look!

Come on - did you really want them to keep making the xB cLassic until everyone's little sister had one? Until the mall parking lots overflowed with them? Until they became...I shan't say it...MAINSTREAM? Of course not.

We're all going to hang onto our cLassics as the stamp of our forward-thinking, trendsetting, let's-face-it-smarter-than-most-car-buyers behavior when it really counted...but like I said, as a followup to the most exciting car this country has seen in the last twenty years....

....you could do a lot worse. So give it a chance.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

There's a lot of talk about the new Xb being ugly.....have you looked in a mirror lately?

Seriously, the old Xb is the definition of ugly! We just learned to like it for it's ugliness. Kind of like the ugly little puppy in the pet store that no one wants.

I bought one like that and she's the best dog I've ever owned! I feel the same way about my Xb. It's so ugly, that people don't talk behind your back. They come right up to you and tell you how "unusual" it is. Just like my dog..."what a precious little doggie!!!" What they are thinking is "it's so ugly that it's beautiful in a special way".

Well.... I guess I'll take my special dog for a ride in my special car now........

PS: Can't wait till someone makes a rear window extension for the 08'....flat is in.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by forby
There's a lot of talk about the new Xb being ugly.....have you looked in a mirror lately?

Seriously, the old Xb is the definition of ugly! We just learned to like it for it's ugliness. Kind of like the ugly little puppy in the pet store that no one wants.
LOL. I like that one.

You know, this is an excellent analogy... we all got interested in the car in the first place because it was different, not because it was...you know...attractive. If they'd just been cute everyone would have had one, and we wouldn't have the community we do. It'd be the New Beetle all over again.

Now that you mention it, I'm thinking back to the first 9 months or so I owned the car.... there were times I'd walk out to the parking lot and see it, and be like "OH YIKES WHAT IS THAT?!"

I was having "I actually bought this thing?!" moments for the first three months or so, and then its unwavering faithfulness, amazing interior space, unrivaled features, and tiny gas bills and payments wore me down. It's like when you hear about couples who were betrothed in other countries, and they just kind of coexist for years, but eventually fall in love. Now I can't imagine life without my B.

I DO worry about B2/cLassic B relations, but that's something that can't be avoided. If we can deal with 16-year-old tC drivers harassing us, we can deal with that. Besides, the new unboxy look gives us something to rag on! (Kind of like how the tC is only faster than other scions JK)

Can you imagine if they'd kept the looks exactly the same but given it a bigger engine and more features? It'd be like Invasion of the Body Snatchers! You'd think it was just a normal friendly xB-driver nodding to you at a stoplight, and then SHRIEEEEEEEEEKKKK off they'd squeal with 40 more horsepower. D:

So, yah, obviously Toyota knows what they're doing. We ARE talking about the people who had the foresight to initiate the minicar class, you know? So relax, keep an open mind, and let's all make our judgements once the car actually exists.

p.s. i hope i'm still in the community in 2011, when scion releases the NEW-new xB as a perfect cube, and all the gen 2 drivers have heart attacks ;)
Old 04-06-2007, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Waiting a year or two for them to get the bugs worked out. i like the tC engine...but Im not real happy bout those big BLIND spots in the pillars.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well by 2010 the whole toyota line will be at least hybrid.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Djbombsquad
Well by 2010 the whole toyota line will be at least hybrid.
The goal was to have a hybrid option by this time, but I think it's since moved back to 2012
Old 04-07-2007, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i was thinking about getting the prius as my next car, saw someone pull up at work and talk his head off about it, and now i'm "partially" interested in it now. lol. I was thinking "stealth". All black with limo tint, then i was thinking about how i love to hear the engine when i drive, then i thought "no way" this car sucks.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I'm really put off by the car's weight, but I'll reserve my judgment until I drive one.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by forby

Seriously, the old Xb is the definition of ugly!
Sorry but most of the real (read first wave) owners NEVER thought they were ugly to begin with and had to get used to the look. I loved the look at the first glance of the original bB back in the 90"s. My prayers were answered when I found out it was coming here. So to most , the xB was never considered ugly.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Randomly polling people you will find that most people do in fact think the xB is ugly as sin. Unless by "most people" you mean "most xB classic owners".

Quick Reply: New xB Haters. What's the verdict?