Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Newbie - 2015 White xB

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 09:44 PM

Default Newbie - 2015 White xB

Hello. New to Scion, not the car scene. Just bought a 2015 White Scion xB as a daily driver. Little surprised by the mpg after the purchase, but it is what it is.

So first and foremost, i got the scion to relieve my 2008 Mini Cooper S from the stresses of daily driving. Coming close to a clutch replacement and a turbo rebuild or replacement on the horizon and couldn't justify paying out 5-6k on the spot. Secondly, I bought this to earn some extra income doing some Lyft and Uber driving.

So far the only upgrades I added from the dealership are the spoiler and protective Scion strip for the rear bumper. Not really planning on doing any additional mods the first year other than maybe the wind visors, drop in filter and possibly strut and sway bar.

Anyways, I reside in the Downey area and just wanted to drop by and introduce myself.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-26-2017 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

congrats on the purchase. i rode in xb taxi's in vegas and loved them. lastly, i have only owned white boxes - an 06 that i got rid of and a 2013 that i still have and love.

as many people mention, yes, the mpg's are much less than the sticker but that is based on the type of driving too. a few folks suggest inflating the hell out of your tires (42psi, iirc) so that's something to try if you're interested in increasing the mpgs.

most importantly: enjoy your ride!
Old 07-21-2015, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

LoL. I purchased by xB to replace my 07 cooper S. I Loved her, but after replacing the clutch(single mass conversion), timing chain assembly, as well as a few other things coming out to just around $4,500, the transmission throwing an output shaft bearing was my final straw. She had 105k and ended up going to auction because she wasn't worth fixing to the dealer that took her in either....

The MPG is quite a change as the Mini's get 40 Mpg EASY, I averaged 43mpg usually.

The xB will be a refreshing change. not as excited to drive as the Go-kart you had, but still nice.

Some nice wheels help the handling, and a decent suspension will tighten her up.

Enjoy the 2GxB. We like Pics here. Pics are our friends.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HA! Same here. My 08 xB was a replacement for my 06 Cooper S. Loved the car when I was driving it but I had every known factory defect happen on that car and there wasn't any way I was going to own it outside of the 2 year factory maintenance plan.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

Maybe we should start a Mini to Scion club? LoL.....someone start a poll.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:54 PM

Yeah. I basically couldn't justify forking over 4-6k in one sitting to fix it vs paying that over a 3 year lease. I'll eventually get her up.

On another note, I replied to this post yesterday and put up a few pics, but for some reason it did not post. Anyways, here's a couple pics of the mini and one of the xb the day i got her from Penske.

Name:  Screenshot_2015-07-16-23-06-49-2_zps9mflrxy4.jpg
Views: 10096
Size:  155.2 KB

Name:  20140413_092200_zps9amwbkp0.jpg
Views: 9875
Size:  76.3 KB

Name:  photo2.jpg
Views: 9883
Size:  171.2 KB
Old 07-22-2015, 02:55 PM

I almost forgot. My spoiler came in. I'll be getting that installed on Sunday.

Also, i've been looking at the wind visors for the windows. Does anyone have any experience with the Weathertech vs the Japanese visors? Runions or something is what I think they're called.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got avs low profile vent visors for my 2013 xb. i just loved the look of them. i think i paid ~$100 for them and put them on with EXTRA STICKY 3M double sided tape. They've been on now for 2+ years w/o issue. just an idea.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by midtowndesi
I got avs low profile vent visors for my 2013 xb. i just loved the look of them. i think i paid ~$100 for them and put them on with EXTRA STICKY 3M double sided tape. They've been on now for 2+ years w/o issue. just an idea.

Those look great. I'm sure i could find it sometime later today after work, but do you have a link to where you bought those?
Old 07-23-2015, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks man - link is here AVS Seamless Vent Visor - Best Price & Reviews on AVS Seamless Low Profile Window Deflectors for Cars, Trucks & SUVs

they already come with double sided sticky tape but i am a control freak and wanted to make sure my $100 visor didnt fly off on the highway or inside of a carwash. so i went to staples and bought a wider roll of sticky tape - maybe 1.5" wide if i remember correctly. I put those on on all 4 visors and they are stuck like glue to the car
Old 07-23-2015, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by midtowndesi
Thanks man - link is here AVS Seamless Vent Visor - Best Price & Reviews on AVS Seamless Low Profile Window Deflectors for Cars, Trucks & SUVs

they already come with double sided sticky tape but i am a control freak and wanted to make sure my $100 visor didnt fly off on the highway or inside of a carwash. so i went to staples and bought a wider roll of sticky tape - maybe 1.5" wide if i remember correctly. I put those on on all 4 visors and they are stuck like glue to the car
Thanks a ton. I was going to go weathertech, but those look nice and lower profile. I'll be getting those.

On another note, since you've been so helpful, I'd like to ask you one other questions. What are you using on your interior (dash,doors) to clean? Rubbing my hands over the material, it almost feels cloth like and I wouldn't know the first thing (chemically) to use on it without ruining it.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

regarding my visors, just note that they are low profile and don't "bubble out" like some of the regular ones do. this means that the space between the glass on your door and this visor will be like a finger-width apart. Some people want this space bigger (like for fresh air when driving in the rain) but i couldn't care less. I can still open my windows slightly when it's raining and no water gets in so im a happy camper.

For cleaning the plastic parts (dash, door areas, steering wheel, radio, shifter area, etc which are all plastic by the way (no cloth anywhere there)), i simply use microfiber cloths from the dollar store. I use these if I'm only cleaning dust off of those areas. I wouldn't know either what chemical to use on it so to prevent a costly error, i sometimes just use a spray water bottle and again the microfiber cloths.

for interior stuff, i almost never use chemicals. the only chemicals i use are windex, rainx anti fog and water repellent for the glass on the car and that's it. It's a simple car so I try to keep the maintenence of it simple as well.

hope this helps a bit.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:50 AM
5 Year Member

26.5mpg is normal with this car.