Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Oil consumption and how it affects motor? PLEASE READ

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Oil consumption and how it affects motor? PLEASE READ

So I took my 08 xb (now with 35,500 miles) in about 6 months ago for the oil consumption test. It went through about 2/3 quart in 1200 miles I believe. Maybe a tad less. I can take it in one more time before my 10 years is up so probably around May or June is the deadline. I still don't think my car will fail the test to get rebuilt due to how low the miles are on it. My question is is it worth trying to get the warranty work done or should I just add oil when it starts getting worse between oil changes. I do basic oil and get it done everything 3000 miles. May be better to stick with 3k instead of switching to synthetic where I think you can go 5k and up due to the oil consumption being more the longer between changes. Curious what I should do. Keep the car and keep adding oil the worse it gets or if I should "try" really hard to fail the test next time. I have heard that it won't hurt the motor necessarily but that it just burns oil because of the pistons and rings. Is that the case? I am also a little worried about having my engine rebuilt because some people on here didn't have very good luck and had even worse issues afterwards.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wouldn't want a dealership hack rebuilding my motor..I would just add oil as needed....check you oil once a week, top up as necessary, and enjoy the reliability and long life span this motor will give you...
Old 12-31-2016, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Agreed. I wouldnt trust some fool at the dealership to rubuild my motor. A lot of them are not any more qualified than the guy a jiffy lube. Every honda and toyota i have ever owned used oil and they all ran problem free till 200K+ miles and still ran when sold. Aside from wear parts like alternator, water pump, battery, brakes, starter EXC you should be fine for a long time. And how in gods name do you have such low miles on that year XB? Just check the oil once a week and top off as needed. Its cheap and the motor wont let you down. The 2.4 AZ-FE was toyotas work horse for over 10 years. Sure it has some small quarks but nothing you need to worry about.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Keffer69
Agreed. I wouldnt trust some fool at the dealership to rubuild my motor. A lot of them are not any more qualified than the guy a jiffy lube. Every honda and toyota i have ever owned used oil and they all ran problem free till 200K+ miles and still ran when sold. Aside from wear parts like alternator, water pump, battery, brakes, starter EXC you should be fine for a long time. And how in gods name do you have such low miles on that year XB? Just check the oil once a week and top off as needed. Its cheap and the motor wont let you down. The 2.4 AZ-FE was toyotas work horse for over 10 years. Sure it has some small quarks but nothing you need to worry about.
Sucks that ever dealership have buffoons working there, its always like rolling a dice when going there. I've had my master power switch trim broken when i took it in for that overheating switch recall. Also during another visit, some clown stole my pocket knife i had in my door slot and replaced it with another cheap looking knife.

Anyways, i ended up letting them do the engine rebuild to fix the excessive oil consumption. Luckily they did a good job, my xB has been running great. Probably gonna change the oil this upcoming weekend, it will be the first oil change since the rebuild.