Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Oil Consumption Update!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 02:05 AM

Smile Oil Consumption Update!!

Excessive Oil Consumption on 2AZ-FE Engine LSC ZE7 | TOYO Headquarters

Toyota extended the warranty for this issue! It's not a recall but they are going to fix the issue.
I'm guessing this is to try to get out of the class action lawsuit?

But none the less happy news

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-27-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does anyone know the standards they are using to measure the oil consumption?

I know I've been running a thicker oil to try and help minimise consumption....maybe I'll do an oil change back to the recommended 0w before I take it in?

Just started thinking...I wonder if mods might disqualify people from this warranty work..(intake/header/etc)

Last edited by Roller_Toaster; 02-04-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member

Mods will definitely disqualitfy you. The service Writer will find any reason to do so, good luck.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:30 PM

They will do an oil change if needed so I wouldn't waste the money. They will charge you for the oil change. But they have you come back between 1000-1200 miles to measure how much was used. If it needs to be topped off they dont charge. I have to go back soon. I had just had my oil changed so they didn't need to do one. They make sure you are using the correct oil first.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just talked to a good friend of mine who is actually a toyota tech about this.

Changed my oil yesterday (was running full syn 5w20), and my dipstick was completely dry when I changed it at 3k miles.

He immediately told me this wouldn't qualify (apparently because my oil light didn't come on), and to wait a while before taking my car in to see if it starts consuming more.

I'll definitely be putting the engine back to stock before I take it in as well, as he confirmed it "could" easily be used to disqualify me.

Update, burning two quarts of oil every 3,000 miles does NOT qualify you for the replacement parts. It is considered "within spec".

Just an fyi for everyone.

Last edited by Roller_Toaster; 02-05-2015 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member

Just messed up my engine because of this issue abt a week ago Mods will not disqualify you because they have to prove the mods caused the issue and from what my mechanic told me both my cold air intake and my headers would not cause this issue My engine basically stalled on me after i had seen the engine oil light come out when i was getting out of the freeway so i guess the circular motion of the vehicle pushed the oil toward one side went straight then it came off but before i knew it it shut down my car and yes the dip stick was dry put oil started and it sounded really bad towed it to dealer after some research abt this issue called corporate got a Reference number told them is was still under warranty regardless of my miles at the dealer but they got a mechanic from corporate to look at it and confirmed he reason my engine had stalled was because of lack of lubrication but then again they told me they covered it since ive been going to Toyota dealers for every maintenance ive done to my car Hope this helps
Old 02-14-2015, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member

Just had my Car stall on me again like it wanted ti accelerate but then couldn't and it did that until I just decided to stop luckily just made it to a girlfriends house But the dealer doesn't have time until Monday so gonna have it towed that Day
Old 02-21-2015, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

With 66k, my xb2's engine is burning a quart of oil every 1500 miles. The dealer did an oil consumption test. Now they're recommending an engine rebuild. I told them to use synthetic oil since the beginning. They refused to because they said the engine doesn't require it. Luckily I bought an extended warranty.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You actually don't want to use synthetic to break an engine in, either new or after rebuild. It's better to break an engine in with regular oil while the little shavings and such come loose then after the first 500-1000 miles drain it and you can switch to synthetic.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Actually German and other performance cars come from the factory with synthetic oil. (Mobil 1) So I would believe it is better to use synthetic oil. Toyota doesn't use synthetic oil from the factory to keep costs down. If you've noticed most of the high mileage cars here on Scion Life are using Mobil 1 or similar synthetic oil.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by marcusjdm
Actually German and other performance cars come from the factory with synthetic oil. (Mobil 1) So I would believe it is better to use synthetic oil. Toyota doesn't use synthetic oil from the factory to keep costs down. If you've noticed most of the high mileage cars here on Scion Life are using Mobil 1 or similar synthetic oil.
Oh, I'm not talking for normal use, just break in. I personally run Amsoil and haven't run anything below Mobil 1 in my cars for well over a two decades. I'm a big proponent of synthetic oils for engine longevity just not for initial break in.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2011 xB, Model 8.0 - Failed Test...2qts low after 1000k

So they have my car overnight so they can tear up the engine all day tomorrow to confirm what parts they need.
My question is, how bad does the test have to fail in order to get a new engine? Mine used 2 qts in 1000k. That's getting worse from three mos. ago.

Just curious. It would be great if they threw a new engine in there of course, but not sure what to expect.

Thanks!!!!!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-22-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:09 PM
Scion Representative
5 Year Member
SCION CORP

Originally Posted by gregabyte
So they have my car overnight so they can tear up the engine all day tomorrow to confirm what parts they need. My question is, how bad does the test have to fail in order to get a new engine? Mine used 2 qts in 1000k....that's getting worse from three mos. ago.

Just curious. It would be great if they threw a new engine in there of course, but not sure what to expect.

Thanks!!!!!
Thanks for the update! We'll be glad to talk with you and explain details of that warranty extension. Feel free to give us a call at 866-707-2466 to further discuss. ^LT
Old 12-09-2015, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, got mine back from the dealer yesterday.

New pistons and rings and the engine is running a bit smoother than it used to.

Little sloppy on the work though. Used too much gasket seal so there is squeeze out the extended a 1/2" out. I'll have to go through and trim them back down to make it look better. And I wasn't pleased to find that they broke one of my false floors in the hatch. Wasn't mad about it getting broken, things happen, but more from the fact that I had to find it upon inspecting the car. Got the usual, "it was broken when it came in", from the mechanic except for the fact that I use the hatch daily and it wasn't broken when I dropped it off and I was on the phone with him as he took it apart to get to the battery so I'm pretty sure he would have said something about it right then.

Not a big deal, I'll just have to rebuild it and they already said they'll pay for the parts. Just a pain because I have to take the time to do it.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:08 AM

Default Dealer has had my 09xb for 5 weeks

They gave me a loaner after I failed the oil consumption test. They wouldn't even tell me how bad it was, but I've been in the loaner for 5 weeks. I'm wondering if the oil consumption problem could have caused my transmission problem, reverse doesn't catch well.

In the mean time, I'm putting 500 miles a week on their Camry instead of my xb, but I miss my car!
Old 07-24-2016, 11:45 PM

Angry

Originally Posted by Roller_Toaster
Just talked to a good friend of mine who is actually a toyota tech about this.

Changed my oil yesterday (was running full syn 5w20), and my dipstick was completely dry when I changed it at 3k miles.

He immediately told me this wouldn't qualify (apparently because my oil light didn't come on), and to wait a while before taking my car in to see if it starts consuming more.

I'll definitely be putting the engine back to stock before I take it in as well, as he confirmed it "could" easily be used to disqualify me.

Update, burning two quarts of oil every 3,000 miles does NOT qualify you for the replacement parts. It is considered "within spec".

Just an fyi for everyone.
I took mine in about 3 months ago for the oil consumption test and was told I am "within spec". After losing 3 qts between oil changes at 5000 miles. My dealership said it was within spec to lose up to 4 qts between oil changes. Only cars I have EVER owned that required me to add oil between changes was a messed up one. They only pay for two test to be done, after that YOU have to pay!!!
Old 09-07-2016, 09:21 AM
5 Year Member

BEWARE of Dealership Tricks!

Old 09-15-2016, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionARAbee

https://youtu.be/7QaZU13uZRE
What did they have to say when you showed them this?
Old 09-16-2016, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionARAbee

https://youtu.be/7QaZU13uZRE

very good catch and very shady dealer practice!!! i wonder how many other dealers are doing this...
Old 09-21-2016, 05:42 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by xdejablu3x
What did they have to say when you showed them this?
No, I did not show them this video. I just want people to be more aware and be more involved when they go get their oil consumption test done, so this won't happen to them.

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption Update!!