Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Oil Consumption Update!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would stand there and watch them top off the oil and show me the dipstick before sealing it. I have a 2010 and i go 5,000 miles between oil changes. I use Mobile 1 Clean 5000 5W20.
My car uses a little less than 2 quarts between oil changes. Not bad enough to be fixed but she only has 84,000 miles. But then again every Toyota or Honda I have ever owned liked its oil.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-27-2019 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 12-24-2016, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionARAbee
No, I did not show them this video. I just want people to be more aware and be more involved when they go get their oil consumption test done, so this won't happen to them.
It's harder to get people involved because many are trading their tC's in for other vehicles and not many people post on here regularly anymore unless they driver the newer vehicles. I'm here from time to time to find old maintenance threads to work on my car.
My car seems to burn oil too but I just passed my second oil consumption test apparently. They say I'm well within parameters and barely burned a qt. in 1,300 miles. I don't know why when I change my oil about a 1 1/2 qt always seems to come out.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-27-2019 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Awarded U.S. Army icon
Old 12-24-2016, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Keffer69
I would stand there and watch them top off the oil and show me the dipstick before sealing it. I have a 2010 and i go 5000 miles between oil changes. I use Mobile 1 Clean 5000 5W20. My car uses a little less than 2 quarts between oil changes. Not bad enough to be fixed but she only has 84000 miles. But then again every toyota or honda i have ever owned liked its oil.
I've been told by many people in person and from reading online about not using Mobil 1 full synthetic oil. Trust me, I used to use this stuff all the time but apparently they are not really full synthetic. At least in the United States anyways. With some hoop holes in laws they can advertise it being full synthetic here in the states. Something about how oil testing is done and phase III used to be full synthetic and now they have phase IV which is now true full synthetic which is what Mobil 1 oil is not since it's phase III. A little confusing yes but go look it up.

People at bobstheoilguy.com help out a lot. I started using Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic. Supposedly it's better and from the oil tests at Black Stone and others who have done it on bobstheoilguy.com that it keeps it's consistency and doesn't burn as easily as Mobil 1. Whenever I come back home stateside I'm going to try and change my PCV valve to see if they does the trick because sometimes that causes oil consumption as well because the valve gets stuck. Plus it's better and easier to spend $10 on a part that could be the issue and have it scratched off the list of possibles if it isn't.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well here is how I look at it. The oil debate is huge and you are always going to have someone who has a favorite oil or someone who says synthetic is better than dyno oil blah blah. Any name brand oil is just fine and all are about the same. PENZOIL. CASTROL, VALVOLINE, MOBIL, QUAKER STATE. Yes synthetic lasts longer as far as mileage we all know that. But then again synthetic is made of smaller particles and gets between cracks and in seals and pistons easier than dyno oil causing leaks and consumption. I have owned 10+ motorcycles "Crotch rockets" and i see friends only using Amsoil synthetic. I just use manufacturer brand oil Honda or Suzuki whatever bike I have at the time. I have never had an issue. I grew up using white bottle Castrol GTX. Its what my dad and grandfather used. When i got my 2010 xB I was using Castrol Edge full synthetic and after hitting a little over 60K i noticed it using a lot of oil. I switched back to Castrol and the consumption went down since dyno oil doesn't burn off of slip past rings like synthetic. If you don't have a high performance high compression vehicle that needs synthetic i think its a waste of money. I am 32 years old and have owned I think 12 cars all but 2 of them have been either been a Honda or Toyota.

They all used a little oil and all ran to 200K+ and were still running. That being said if i have to add a quart here and there and my car lasts that long I don't really care. Its a small price to pay for the longevity of the car. If you take care of the 2.4 AF-ZE and do regular oil changes and keep her topped off it will last 200K+ all day and at the end of the day that suites me just fine. As far at preventative things I am very **** about my car. I have a drain and fill on tranny fluid every 30K and also change the plugs every 30K. I also change the oil every 3K and the PCV valve every 10K. I do everything at half the mileage suggested just to keep it 100%. Its never let me down and it doesn't really cost that much more. The numbers I use for changing fluids come from the averages of thousands of mechanics. I then chop that number in half and do my thing.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-27-2019 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 04-27-2019, 06:17 PM

Default 2008 xB 151k miles..

Used 3 quarts Mobil 1 since oil change 5K miles ago. Used one quart in last ten days.? I imagine that consumption is more excessive when oil level is very low, however I don't know that.
I believe that oil replacement is cheaper that a ring job, but what a hassle for what has been a good vehicle otherwise.

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-27-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I switched to Valvoline from Mobil one. By accident the jugs were both grey and as Walmart does their always moving ____ around. Anyway I had an instance where no oil showed on the dipstick. And since the switch to Valvoline my motor uses less than a half quart. No bull, its a 2008 and I've always kept a very close eye on it. I used Mobil one every oil change before the switch.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:58 AM

I used to have a Scion xB 2010. Got the oil consumption fixed but after 6 months the engine still burning oil. Oil pressure light came on due to low on oil. The mechanic oil changed my car and did not let him fix the Oil pressure sensor due to lack of budget. Drove my car the next day on the freeway with my family, the engine made a squeeky noise then the engine stalled. Good thing me and my family are safe. Had the car towed to a auto shop and the mechanic told me that the Timing Chain broke and needed a new engine that will cost me a lot. I made some research, if the engine oil is low or using a bad oil and not changing oil regularly will make the timing chain wear out quicker. I cannot afford to pay for new engine and knowing that i will have the same problem. So I ended up giving the car back to the lender. Because of this car not being well made, my credit will take a big hit. I hope all of you who has the same car issue will learn something from this. This just happened this weekend.

_______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-22-2019 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:48 PM
SL Member

Bad factory recommended oil is also a problem with Mercs. A lot of these BlueTEC engines have so much gunk in the intake, turbo, EGR etc. I also heard that they’ve been changing timing chains at 100,000 km. Back in the good old days, that would be at 300,000 km. Then again, it goes back to using the right oil and changing it on the right interval.