Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

A better option to the AVN..

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default A better option to the AVN..

So i was really excited at first at getting my new xb and with the factory AVN but after hearing its 2grand it had me thinking a little bit...it seems just a little to expensive. And doesn't it only include 2 million points of interest?? i started looking at other HU's and i always favor pioneer...don't you guys think this double din HU is a better buy than that factory AVN scion is offering...and since its a double din it would look just as clean as if it came from the factory..and pioneer confirms that it does play videos from your ipod..it just seems like a no brainer.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mcEbqRh...2350&s=0&cc=01

Old 04-22-2007, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A couple of us mentioned it in the 2008 xB Option Pricing thread. Crutchfield has it for $1k with a free backup camera.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i didn't even notice that they had an offer going, this seems like a great deal. thanks
Old 04-22-2007, 07:05 PM
SL Member

I don't have experince installing these things but am wondering if it's possible to hook up the existing AUX and IPOD ports with this unit. The locations of the ports (next to the driver) is the ideal location for me and I'd rather not have cables dangling out of the glove box or something..
Old 04-22-2007, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

rishio, you mean you have the factory ipod cable and you wanted to reuse it?
Old 04-22-2007, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rishio
I don't have experince installing these things but am wondering if it's possible to hook up the existing AUX and IPOD ports with this unit. The locations of the ports (next to the driver) is the ideal location for me and I'd rather not have cables dangling out of the glove box or something..
x2

I would like to know this also is there a way to still use the steering wheel controls with an aftermarket HU?
Old 04-22-2007, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is a module on Crutchfield that allows the steering wheel controls to work on *some* radios. It worked on all past Scions and costs $70.

About the aux port, the nav shown has one integrated. No idea about making the stock ipod link work, but I doubt it.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-QcK1s3t...asp?i=127SWIPS
Old 04-22-2007, 09:30 PM
SL Member

No, I mean the 2008xb has an ipod links inbetween the driver and the front seat passenger. I don't want to install a new system and have that useful spot for aux, ipod link and steering wheel controls wasted.

Originally Posted by raceronabudget
rishio, you mean you have the factory ipod cable and you wanted to reuse it?
Old 04-23-2007, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

theres no sense you buying a new system if all you wanna do is connect your ipod..since the xb comes with the aux and ipod link
Old 04-23-2007, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ExcelRevs
theres no sense you buying a new system if all you wanna do is connect your ipod..since the xb comes with the aux and ipod link
But let's say I wanted the bluetooth and navigation functions of the HU, but I still want to use my iPod as well (and recharge it, too). Does the iPod connector on the HU end for this HU match that of the stock HU?
Old 04-23-2007, 03:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: A better option to the AVN..

So i was really excited at first at getting my new xb and with the factory AVN but after hearing its 2grand it had me thinking a little bit...it seems just a little to expensive. And doesn't it only include 2 million points of interest?? i started looking at other HU's and i always favor pioneer...don't you guys think this double din HU is a better buy than that factory AVN scion is offering...and since its a double din it would look just as clean as if it came from the factory..and pioneer confirms that it does play videos from your ipod..it just seems like a no brainer.
Before you order one of the Pioneer units, check it out fully and make sure its what you want.

Just read the reviews of it and having used a GPS system for years, was wondering WTH Pioneer was thinking when they designed this unit.

While the interfaces for the CD, iPod, etc. all seem to be there, Pioneer cheaped out and has only a one-disk slot in the unit, so its either use it for music or navigation, NOT both. To use the GPS facilities of this unit, you must insert the navigation DVD (making sure you have the correct one) and do your thing. THEN, you can put another CD in the slot and play the music, but if you want to check POIs or change routes (a detour around a wreck maybe?), its time to play the "slot shuffle."

With DVD players and flash memory being so cheap, it looks like Pioneer had their heads planted firmly up their ........ n/m ...... when they designed this unit. Although its not THAT high-priced, its not cheap either and since its new, not much bad press out there for it. but give it a while, to buy it cheaply after people who are looking for the complete package look elsewhere.

I was already to buy this unit, in all seriousness, but after reading specs and reviews, will continue to use my Garmin and the HU that comes in the xB until someone comes out with an alternative (reasonably priced) that does it all.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mickie3
Before you order one of the Pioneer units, check it out fully and make sure its what you want.

Just read the reviews of it and having used a GPS system for years, was wondering WTH Pioneer was thinking when they designed this unit.

While the interfaces for the CD, iPod, etc. all seem to be there, Pioneer cheaped out and has only a one-disk slot in the unit, so its either use it for music or navigation, NOT both. To use the GPS facilities of this unit, you must insert the navigation DVD (making sure you have the correct one) and do your thing. THEN, you can put another CD in the slot and play the music, but if you want to check POIs or change routes (a detour around a wreck maybe?), its time to play the "slot shuffle."

With DVD players and flash memory being so cheap, it looks like Pioneer had their heads planted firmly up their ........ n/m ...... when they designed this unit. Although its not THAT high-priced, its not cheap either and since its new, not much bad press out there for it. but give it a while, to buy it cheaply after people who are looking for the complete package look elsewhere.

I was already to buy this unit, in all seriousness, but after reading specs and reviews, will continue to use my Garmin and the HU that comes in the xB until someone comes out with an alternative (reasonably priced) that does it all.
It sounds like you would benefit from the Pioneer AVIC Z1 or Z2 that has the hard drive that you can rip music to. I think the D3 would be perfect for me because I don't use cds anymore. Just my ipod, i have all my 7000 songs on there, i never use cds anymore except when I rip them to Itunes. Since the D3 plays DVDs, and has the Ipod interface, it just seems like the best solution for me...but take a look at the Z1 if you haven't already. I'm going down to my local stereo shop to take a look at it in person. Has it been confirmed that the 08 XB is in fact a double din???
Old 04-23-2007, 05:22 AM
SL Member

Actually, there is a point. First off, I'm not planning on using an iPod.. but rather an iPhone which is why the location of the ipod adapter is perfect. I also want gps navigation as well without spending 2k. And another big thing is that I want to be able to play movies stored on my iphone onto the audio unit's screen which the pioneer can do but not the scion avn.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:28 AM
SL Member

I actually couldn't care less about having an extra slot. All my music and video is on the ipod so the extra slots are a pretty useless and a waste of money. The important thing is if the pioneer unit integrates nicely with the XB (steering wheel control, ipod/aux connection, good quality sound like the base scion unit..)

Old 04-23-2007, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rishio
I actually couldn't care less about having an extra slot. All my music and video is on the ipod so the extra slots are a pretty useless and a waste of money. The important thing is if the pioneer unit integrates nicely with the XB (steering wheel control, ipod/aux connection, good quality sound like the base scion unit..)

I'm with you, everything is on my IPOD. I hope it does integrate nicely, i think it should, pioneer makes good stuff, and that free backup camera at crutchfield is a nice addition..
Old 04-23-2007, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It sounds like you would benefit from the Pioneer AVIC Z1 or Z2 that has the hard drive that you can rip music to. I think the D3 would be perfect for me because I don't use cds anymore. Just my ipod, i have all my 7000 songs on there, i never use cds anymore except when I rip them to Itunes. Since the D3 plays DVDs, and has the Ipod interface, it just seems like the best solution for me...but take a look at the Z1 if you haven't already. I'm going down to my local stereo shop to take a look at it in person. Has it been confirmed that the 08 XB is in fact a double din???
Will check those models out, however, when I looked at GPS systems before, the ones that were CD or DVD based were so painfully slow that there is no comparison with the ones that use flash memory or a hard drive to store the maps on. This is not exactly new technology, so am still surprised that Pioneer went this route.

My wife has most of her stuff on iPod, but things like her "learning spanish" (she is an ER nurse), etc. that she doesn't use on a regular basis are not something you exactly want to rip onto the iPod, if ya gets my drift.

Hope that someone who has been to the roadshow will let us know if the unit is double or not, makes a heap of difference. Our sales rep has no idea, even though he has been very knowledgeable and sharing with what info he does have.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm with you, everything is on my IPOD. I hope it does integrate nicely, i think it should, pioneer makes good stuff, and that free backup camera at crutchfield is a nice addition..
Check out the quality of the GPS if you want to use it for that purpose. Compared to Garmin, TomTom, et. al., it hasn't exactly gotten rave reviews.

BTW, you are paying about 200$ for that FREE camera at Crutchfield. The unit is available much cheaper elsewhere.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

BTW, you are paying about 200$ for that FREE camera at Crutchfield. The unit is available much cheaper elsewhere.
The unit is availible for ~$750 from a few websites that don't seem very reputable. Maybe $800 from a more normal looking site. The camera sells for about $175 on ebay, so you are only paying about $25-$75 for the security of buying it from Crutchfield. I am really cheap, but I would not hesitate to spend the extra money from a place like Crutchfield, they give tech support for life, have awesome policies, and give you free stuff for intall. They usually come with amazingly clear step-by-step vehicle-specific install instructions as well (though you will have to wait for the 2nd gen's instructions to come out). They even had them for my Fiero, including illustrations of the dash and its innards. I NEVER expected that...
Old 04-23-2007, 01:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm def gonna check out the unit this week at my stereo shop...i started looking at after market HUs because that Scion AVN is a little pricey...i'll check out the D3 and let you know how well the GPS performs. I know standalone GPS would prob be better, but i'm leaning towards the pioneer because i might put a subwoofer in the back eventually..who knows...i'll let you guys know what i think of the unit when i go check it out for anyone thats interested. as far as the free backup camera, its just a freebie, i wouldn't purchase it but the D3 is the same price at crutchfield as my stereo shop and they're an authorized pioneer seller, so it seems like a no brainer.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bigfieroman
The unit is availible for ~$750 from a few websites that don't seem very reputable. Maybe $800 from a more normal looking site. The camera sells for about $175 on ebay, so you are only paying about $25-$75 for the security of buying it from Crutchfield. I am really cheap, but I would not hesitate to spend the extra money from a place like Crutchfield, they give tech support for life, have awesome policies, and give you free stuff for intall. They usually come with amazingly clear step-by-step vehicle-specific install instructions as well (though you will have to wait for the 2nd gen's instructions to come out). They even had them for my Fiero, including illustrations of the dash and its innards. I NEVER expected that...
Was just looking around on the net and saw you can buy this from Crutchfield for 850, including camera, sooooooo you may want to see if that 15% off is still good. ( See :http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/707474 for details on the deal.)

As far as hand-holding, as a EE, all I want is a schematic and all am set, but you are right, $25 for support is cheap when not familiar with things like this.

Anyone who decides on putting in this system, please make sure you get it from an Authorized Pioneer dealer, if you have any problems, its worth the extra cash.

Quick Reply: A better option to the AVN..