Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Possible engine concerns

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 05:48 PM

Default Possible engine concerns

For a few weeks my xb has been making a jerking motion when I'm driving at higher speeds(mostly around 60-65mph). Went into a shop to just get some tests done, nothing came up. Guy thought it was the plugs, so those got replaced. Nothing changed, and it actually got worse.

No check engine light.
No maintnence light
Nothing. I was told maybe it could be the fuel filter, but I can't find any info on the xb having a changeable one. Then the other day, I was at a stop light, and the hand on the rpm gauge started jumping, then my car stalled. Luckily it fired back up. But now the throttling has become a new addition to the concerns.

Any advice, or tips would be appreciated.

2009 xb
98k miles
Automatic transmission.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

clean your throttle body. Un do your CAI or stock intake. where the throttle body plate is needs to get cleaned. Mine does the same sometimes. I had never cleaned it.

Make sure car is off. Keys out. Also disconnect battery. before you start messing around. Any sort of throttle body cleaner helps. I used what i got from advane auto parts. also get a tooth brush so you can really scrub the inside.

IT will start really rough after you do it though but thats ok its just cleaning out that gunk.
Hopefully that helps
Old 01-09-2015, 04:00 PM

I had basically the same symptoms happen on my WRX. Cleaning the mass air flow sensor resolved the issue for me.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree its air fuel related. If it was a MAF sensor i would assume there would be a check engine light. But then again my girl has a 08 corolla and the 1.8 motors were known for bad sensors and they had no check engine lights either.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Miqmiqmiq
For a few weeks my xb has been making a jerking motion when I'm driving at higher speeds(mostly around 60-65mph). Went into a shop to just get some tests done, nothing came up. Guy thought it was the plugs, so those got replaced. Nothing changed, and it actually got worse.

No check engine light.
No maintnence light
Nothing. I was told maybe it could be the fuel filter, but I can't find any info on the xb having a changeable one. Then the other day, I was at a stop light, and the hand on the rpm gauge started jumping, then my car stalled. Luckily it fired back up. But now the throttling has become a new addition to the concerns.

Any advice, or tips would be appreciated.

2009 xb
98k miles
Automatic transmission.
Did you ever fix your problem I have a 2011 scion SB and I'm having the same issues
Old 04-16-2016, 02:34 AM

first please do not turn key off and disconnect battery you car i a drive by wire and to clean the throttle body you must turn key to on position but engine off and depress the throttle to the floor and hold to clean the body. if you do not do this you will through the calibration out and will have to take it in to have it reset. i do agree that your problem is in the fuel system the best would be to clean or replace mass air flow but i think you might have a problem in you throttle body or the sensor on your throttle pedal but you must have a full diagnostic scan tool to test these areas. Sorry but you might have to take it in to a good shop and have it scoped out.