Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Questions about TRD and the 15 xB

Old 01-07-2015, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Questions about TRD and the 15 xB

Ok guys so i been on here for a bit but haven't done much since i got the '10 xB to my liking.

90k miles later from starting at 300 im Looking for a new one.

Was looking at the Mazda 3 and GTI but honestly I just like the box. (its also cheaper)

So I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the factory TRD options. This time around I'm not really doing much to the vehicle besides just driving it.
No more laying on the ground in the middle of winter fixing something i broke.

Im planning on loading it.

TRD shocks
Springs
Rear sway ( I will take my Tanabe tower strut off my current xB.)
Quick Shifter
Clutch Kit
TRD Exhaust (even though its stupid expensive)

Tenzo CAI (cause im not paying 400 for a K&n filter box with a TRD Logo) and Strup header and Trevors throttle body mod will follow on to the new one.

So anyone have any experience with the bigger items like the shocks/shifter. I have ridden on the TRD springs for years. I like it but i was wondering if it would be even more comfortable and stable with the matching TRD shocks.

The other two vehicles i was looking at come with better components out the box than the xB, so i figure with these Add ons performance and comfort ability should be raised to their level.

Also whats the difference between Bespoke and Bespoke Premium don't really understand what the extra grand is for.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-20-2020 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 01-18-2015, 10:41 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

The TRD parts work quite well together as a package. The problem is once you spend all that money, you can have a much better car like a Civic Si, Fiesta/Focus ST, etc.

If you do plan on going that route though, do not cheap out and skip the TRD shocks. Biggest mistake I made when I originally had my TRD lowering springs on stock shocks.

My xb was a blast to drive with full TRD suspension (sway bar, strut bar, springs, shocks) and the 17 in oem wheels. I just wished I had the money for the LSD and BBK (but would need larger wheels).
Old 01-22-2015, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Now why was that a mistake? I have the TRD springs on stock. Had em for the last 40k or so. I planned on having the full TRD setup.

You say better car but no. I will never drive a civic. also fiesta,focus,GTI,mazda 3 are all too small. Sure some are faster but overall enjoyment is higher in the box.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:28 AM
5 Year Member

I moved (gave it to my son) from an '06 xB to a '15 xB. Loved the '06 and I'm really liking the '15 so far. I opted to get the TRD short shifter, the springs (stock shocks) and a strut bar. Now I can't pretend to be a connoisseur of fine performance but I think the changes I made gave the box better handling and a higher fun factor. I decided to keep the stock shocks because I read somewhere that the TRD shocks didn't offer a drastic difference over the stock ones. I might switch if/when I where these out. Surely there are parts out there that are better than TRD but there's a strong comfort factor with having the dealership add factory warranted parts.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just remember that the toe in the rear is out with those TRD springs or any springs. There is no adjustment either.
Only way to remedy it is with shims.
Going to have to find the page about it.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-20-2020 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 01-25-2015, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bond007
I moved (gave it to my son) from an '06 xB to a '15 xB. Loved the '06 and I'm really liking the '15 so far. I opted to get the TRD short shifter, the springs (stock shocks) and a strut bar. Now I can't pretend to be a connoisseur of fine performance but I think the changes I made gave the box better handling and a higher fun factor. I decided to keep the stock shocks because I read somewhere that the TRD shocks didn't offer a drastic difference over the stock ones. I might switch if/when I where these out. Surely there are parts out there that are better than TRD but there's a strong comfort factor with having the dealership add factory warranted parts.
How is the quick shifter? is it quite fun? This car is perfect with a little upgrades. I have the header on mine with the stock exhaust still quite fun. I also really like the idea of having warranties n what not.

Originally Posted by Chance12XB
Just remember that the toe in the rear is out with those trd springs or any springs. There is no adjustment either.
Only way to remedy it is with shims.
Going to have to find the page about it.
huh? i dont follow
Old 01-26-2015, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DJ_FroZone
huh? i dont follow

What he is talking about is since we have a solid beam axle with built in camber when you lower the car the axle rotates forward and what was camber starts to become toe. Just hold your hands up in an inverted V shape and twist them forward to see what happens. It's not a ton since the stock camber is between 1-1.5* and you won't be rotating the tires forward too much, but it is there.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Greg S
What he is talking about is since we have a solid beam axle with built in camber when you lower the car the axle rotates forward and what was camber starts to become toe. Just hold your hands up in an inverted V shape and twist them forward to see what happens. It's not a ton since the stock camber is between 1-1.5* and you won't be rotating the tires forward too much, but it is there.
THANK YOU. i was sitting next to stock xB a few weeks ago and thought his wheels were odd. Looked at mine an noticed where the real difference was.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-31-2019 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:35 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by DJ_FroZone
Now why was that a mistake? I have the TRD springs on stock. Had em for the last 40k or so. I planned on having the full TRD setup.

You say better car but no. I will never drive a civic. also fiesta,focus,GTI,mazda 3 are all too small. Sure some are faster but overall enjoyment is higher in the box.
For me it was a mistake because the TRD springs are too stiff for the soft oem dampers, TRD dampers are just better. Had I done it together, I wouldnt have had to take apart the suspension twice. The full TRD suspension is very nice. I put it on piece by piece over the span of 2 years and together, it does transform the xB it to a much more capable vehicle.

Minus cabin space, every car I mentioned is a much better performance oriented vehicle that will put our xb to shame, its the sad truth. If you want a vehicle that is cheap to purchase, cheap to own, and can make it a some what decent handling car, it's a great option though.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AAG
For me it was a mistake because the TRD springs are too stiff for the soft oem dampers, TRD dampers are just better. Had I done it together, I wouldnt have had to take apart the suspension twice. The full TRD suspension is very nice. I put it on piece by piece over the span of 2 years and together, it does transform the xB it to a much more capable vehicle.

Minus cabin space, every car I mentioned is a much better performance oriented vehicle that will put our xB to shame, its the sad truth. If you want a vehicle that is cheap to purchase, cheap to own, and can make it a some what decent handling car, it's a great option though.
Yea your so right and that was the thing. Cabin space. I hate the feeling of being in cramped car. My girl has a CT200 great car but ____ is it small. It drives me crazy sometimes. I sat in the GTi. I looked around and its gourgeous and well made and seems to be great but.... I can't put a huge sub box, 2 snowboards, the gear, a tool box and 3 passengers in a GTi.

Maybe it will be my new winter car

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-31-2019 at 01:16 AM.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have also been looking for a new car and considered all of the ones you did and felt cramped. I am now thinking about the Forester XT.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jthistle
I have also been looking for a new car and considered all of the ones you did and felt cramped. I am now thinking about the Forester XT.
Forester is cool its just not as visually striking as the xB. I did drive both the 3 and GTI. The GTI was veeeeerrry cool.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-31-2019 at 01:17 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The ONE upgrade I will suggest time and time again is the TRD / Quaife LSD.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-20-2020 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 02-05-2015, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member

That's a pretty serious mod. I agree LSD's are awesome. I like the stock one in my FRS. Do you track yours? Do you think that's a worthwhile mod for just modest to spirited street use?
Old 02-05-2015, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member

i got no idea abt parts or any of this but i do want to make my ride feel better i already have the front upper TRD strut bar and trd lower springs stock shocks but i was looking for something to make my ride feel better
the Hotchkis tubular steel front sway bar and tubular steel rear sway bar
or
just the TRD rear sway bar
Old 02-05-2015, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RayScionXB
i got no idea abt parts or any of this but i do want to make my ride feel better i already have the front upper TRD strut bar and TRD lower springs stock shocks but i was looking for something to make my ride feel better
the Hotchkis tubular steel front sway bar and tubular steel rear sway bar
or just the TRD rear sway bar
Honestly, next to the LSD, the Hotchkis sway bars made the most massive "bolt on" difference. Paired with coilovers and the LSD its a completely different car when you hit the twisties.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-31-2019 at 01:20 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bond007
That's a pretty serious mod. I agree LSD's are awesome. I like the stock one in my FRS. Do you track yours? Do you think that's a worthwhile mod for just modest to spirited street use?
I don't track mine, but I live in KY and there are twisty backroads everywhere. I also head to the tail of the dragon at least a few times a year.
Plus, with the weather we have (random Ice/snowstorms), its to have when the weather really dumps.

Even if I wasn't going to boost it, I'd still have it for sure.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:36 AM
5 Year Member

what is LSD's ?
Old 02-06-2015, 04:38 AM
5 Year Member

Limited Slip Differential
This link may help
Link
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sci...26/?styleid=14
Old 02-06-2015, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member