Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

R.I.P. Scion...

Old 04-06-2015, 12:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thumbs down R.I.P. Scion...

Jalopnik on the xB: The 2016 Scion iM Is The xB Replacement For Your Retired Aunt

"... But with the exception for the FRS and the death of the xB, Scion has officially run out of personality. " -- Quoted for truth!

In short, the iA is so bad, I am now certain that Scion is deliberately trying to run their brand into the ground. Great job! The car looks so boring, uninspired, bland and void of any thought in design.

The iM - I'm sad to see the box go and am trying not to rush judgement on the iM. If it replaces the xB, I am praying it's as roomy as the box was....

I still have my 2013 white xb but i'm considering getting another one (a brand new 2015) because i love the xb so much... Anyway, it was a great brand while it lasted...

Last edited by midtowndesi; 04-06-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree about the iA, a rebadged Mazda 2? Just looks like Scion is going for the one market that's not flooded--a cheap econobox for millennials.

The iM is nowhere near as bad as the iA, just looks like Scion is rebadging the Aurius so they can have another cheap car just above the iA at the 20K price.

Anyway, they're at least keeping the brand alive..what did they say "Scion is a testbed for young buyers" now?
Old 04-09-2015, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

With the exception of the FRS (which is only half Scion), all the scions including the tc2 suck (xB2 not included). When they came out with the TC2 is when they went down hill but the release of the FRS gave me hope. All hope is lost. That's ok cuz I think I'm out of the age range for the Scions now.lol I have the xb2 and will keep that till it's dead cuz it's paid off and I know there's nothing wrong with it. I don't see me buying a new Scion again. Oh and between my wife and I we've had 4 Scions (3 tC1s and 1 xB2).

Oh yeah, what's with working with other car companies? Use your own stuff or take from other toyota lines overseas. Really, a mazada 2?!!:?
Old 04-10-2015, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's all junk. I saw this coming when they came out with the xD and iQ. All trash...
Old 04-10-2015, 05:13 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nope still not going to buy a new car when my xA is still running like a champ with an even crappier car for more money
Old 04-10-2015, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You go boy! F.ck 'em all!
Old 04-11-2015, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep. While I’m in the ‘middle aged’ demographic that Jalopnik thinks the IM will appeal to, I have little interest in that car. Bought the Xb2 because of roominess, practicality, value (particularly in regards to safety and features), a solid good start chassis, and tailorability. I don’t see any of those attributes in the IM. I see indistinguishablilty, mediocrity, and flash substituting for substance.

What i’ve been hoping for was an update to the Xb2. Particularly with respect to weight, engine, transmission, and sound deadening. Changes there would convince at least to go down to the showroom and look. The IM? Meh.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:48 PM

I like to think that the iM actually looks somewhat decently cool maybe becuase it looks like a lexus ct200h The iA is absolute trash I do agree with you all on that, it is their first sedan though so maybe they were trying something "new", and by new I mean just taking a mazda 2 and throwing their name on it. Plus the specs are nothing that will appeal to the young age group they are trying to go for:
iA:
Engine= Inline-4 1.5L
Tranny: 6-Speed Man.
HORESPOWER= 106 (est.)
MPG: 33 City, 42 Hwy. <- Damn good
0-60: 10 secs. (est.)

iM:
Engine: Inline-4 1.8L
Tran: 6-Speed Man
HP: 137
MPG: 37 HWY
0-60: 9.5 secs.
FWD

Lexus ct200h=

Scion iM:
Old 04-13-2015, 01:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ I love how the lexus looks and agree, the iM does look good. I just hope that IF it is the replacement for the xb, that it has the roominess of the xb! regarding MPG, that's the one thing i didn't like about my xb2... i literally used to get 35-38 mpg in my gen 1 xb and my gen 2 is now averaging 20mpg after 10k miles. i welcome the higher mpg's of the iM :D

Originally Posted by retlaw
Yep. While I’m in the ‘middle aged’ demographic that Jalopnik thinks the IM will appeal to, I have little interest in that car. Bought the Xb2 because of roominess, practicality, value (particularly in regards to safety and features), a solid good start chassis, and tailorability. I don’t see any of those attributes in the IM. I see indistinguishablilty, mediocrity, and flash substituting for substance.

What i’ve been hoping for was an update to the Xb2. Particularly with respect to weight, engine, transmission, and sound deadening. Changes there would convince at least to go down to the showroom and look. The IM? Meh.
I could not agree with you more! Same reasons i bought my 1st and 2nd xb.

Last edited by midtowndesi; 04-13-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Relax guys, you get drawn in all too easily. This is a computer generated picture with zero wheel gap. Of course you are going to fall in love. After production, this car is going to look horrible. As far as the Lexus thing, a Lexus is a Toyota, and a Toyota is a Scion, so of course they all use the same R&D.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

other photos of the actual iM in production

from the ny auto show

Old 04-14-2015, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like the iM to be honest, loaded up.

It's not the xB in my eyes, do not get me wrong, but I have been real happy with scion so far. Been very reliable with low cost of maintenance. It'll be another year or two before we buy anything. xB is just now at 97k miles.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:25 PM

iM is just a new way to sell is the Toyota Matrix. That is all.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Junk. Bring the tC1 back.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

MTDesi, sorry but there's no way the iM is going to have the room of your xB2. If you buy another xB2--as you suggested you might--then you'll be set for the next 15-20 years.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Scion does NOT need to continue to make new models. Scion WILL survive strictly on their models that clearly sell. All they need to do is what they are currently doing with those models, and that is, continuing to update them every 5 years, just like every single other car manufacturer who has had the same model for 50 years and just updates it every 5-9 years. The line up should continue with the tC and FR-S (...and the xB I guess since people seem to like them, I don't know why). Boost the FR-S like you said you would and sell both models, N/A and boosted, and continue with a more aggressive tC3 and xB3. Family cars can blow me and blow every one else. Scion doesn't need any part of that sh.t. The xA, xD, iQ all failed, which was supposed to be the "plain Jane" every body car. Well guess what, they blew a.ss. Scion started out as a budget vehicle with a new body concept (xB1, xA, tC1). There was nothing else like them. Why on earth would they change that now 11 years later? That's what Scion is, keep Scion true to its roots. Oh, and please please please someone tell f.cking Toyota to bring the f.cking Supra back, or put a f.cking 2JZ in the FR-S from factory. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:03 PM

I really like the im. It reminds me of a mazda3. I'd buy one. I just wanna see what options they're gonna have for it.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:27 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I like the iM, but without a turbo, I wont even bother looking at it. It's a sad time when Kia makes more exciting cars than Scion (Veloster turbo, Forte5 SX, Forte SX Koup).

If they add the 1.6t engine into the Soul....I'm jumping ship.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

so no more 2016 xB as we know it???

maybe I should get a '15 before they run out
Old 04-20-2015, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Latest word is that the xB will be staying for awhile longer. Pulled this from Autoguide.

With two out of a planned three new Scion models revealed at the New York Auto Show, we sat down with brand boss Doug Murtha to discuss what’s coming next for Toyota’s youth-focused brand.

The latest rejuvenation for Scion, the current plan doesn’t stray from the brand’s origins.

Murtha, Scion group vice president, explains how partnerships with other automakers, as well as sharing within the larger Toyota lineup has long been a part of the product strategy. “It’s pretty much been the case since Scion’s launch,” he said, pointing to the xA, xB and even the recently axed iQ.

He wouldn’t clarify just what’s coming next but did drop a significant hint, stating that the new model, “falls more into the iM model,” and, “is a product that will be sold in other markets that will be sold in the US as a Scion, as opposed to bringing it as a Toyota.”

Based on Toyota’s current global product list, the options aren’t plentiful with cars like the Etios, Aygo and Verso as possible candidates.

With the removal of the iQ from Scion’s lineup, the Aygo could replace it as a new city car option. In Europe it’s available with either a 1.3-liter or a 1.0-liter 3-cylinder engine making 68 hp. It also costs just 6,800 British Pounds (roughly $12,800).

“That has always been our sourcing model to look for products in other global markets that we might not bring in as a Toyota but that we might bring in under the Scion brand,” said Murtha, commenting that there’s more to Scion than just brand-engineered models. “We don’t want to become Geo, where were basically selling cars that are either wholly built by someone else or only through partnerships,” he said. “As long as they meet the basic requirements we have as a brand we’re fine with that as a source for new product.”

No Scion Crossovers

“I’m open to any and all body type categories,” said Murtha, “as long as it meets the basic requirements and interests of our target customer.” Right now, that doesn’t include small SUVs.

“I’m open to a crossover, but as I look at crossovers in the market there’s a lot I wouldn’t want because I think they’d they’d work better with a Toyota badge on their hood than a Scion badge. Like it or not, SUVs still come with a little bit of that family-esque stigma … and I don’t think that’s what the majority of our customers are looking to project about themselves.”

Murtha also indicated that it won’t be a hybrid. While a car like the Prius c would seem to fit the bill, he says the data so far has shown buyers of the ultra-efficient city car actually tend to be older than those of the conventional Prius liftback, despite the lower price.

As for the rest of the Scion lineup, Murtha confirmed that the xB and tC will live on for a while longer with, “No immediate plans for their sunsetting or replacement.” As for the FR-S, Toyota is currently in talks with Subaru on a second-generation model with a refreshed version due out soon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R.I.P. Scion...