Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Remote Engine Start - Battery Drain?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Remote Engine Start - Battery Drain?

I'm considering installing the OEM RES. I am doing some research on it and came across a TSB for a potential problem where the RES can drain the battery.

Scion battery drain - Automotive Service Professional

When searching the forums, I haven't really seen anyone complain about this. Maybe there aren't enough that have them installed? Just curious if anyone knows about this. The install looks semi-intense and I don't want to go to the trouble if its going to cause an issue.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Viper?

Honestly, unless you're really set on DYI I'd consider going to your local car stereo installer and have them put in a Viper, which is the best brand in the business. Plus, if you ever do run into any trouble you can always call them for solutions and/or take it back to them to get fixed.

My xB has had a Viper remote start since 2006 and it only ran into trouble when I let it sit for 30 days, which happened twice. Both times I called the installer and they instructed me how to get it back working. After the second time I wrote everything down so I'm good to go for now on lol.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I read some reviews online about vipers and I'm not sure I'm sold. A lot of people say "best in the business" but then I read stuff about how their remotes suck and in really cold temperatures the ecu locks up and doesn't work. I've been reading reviews on amazon and results seem to be mixed.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:56 PM

Ive been an installer for 15 years now and I have dealt with all the major brands and the ONLY one I will install in my cars or friends cars are Viper. I have never heard an issue of the remotes not working in the cold. No remote starters are perfect and all can have their issues but from a reliability standpoint no other brand touches Viper or DEI product in general (the parent company of viper) in regards to the remote start business. I currently have a 4x10 installed from viper using a remote pack and I get full function as well as I can start the car just by pressing the lock button on my stock remote 3 times which is nice at times, although when the car is running you can't use the stock remote to open the door, you have to use the aftermarket one but thats not the remote starts fault thats Toyota/Scion that locks the remote out after the engine is engaged which is just stupid to me.

The install on our vehicles isn't hard either for anyone who knows what they are doing, should be able to be handled by anyone who is competent at their jobs.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Same as Ravendarat here. I was an installer for 15+ years and the DEI line of product was the one that I had the least amount of issues with. Remember that with something as involved as an alarm with remote start that the product will only be as good as the install. If you don't have the ability to do it yourself shop around and get recommendations for a good install shop to do it.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Viper? DEI?

I'll just add that after I had my remote start/alarm installed it's something I'll never want to go without again. On a freezing day or night it is sooooo nice to just push a button from inside my house to warm my xBox up!