Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

In-Dash Navigation... Not in Dash!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 06:55 PM

Default In-Dash Navigation... Not in Dash!?

Hello Everyone,

It is really great to be here on this forum. I am the owner of a brand new '08 xB, and am very happy with it. I named it "The Pandora's Box."
I bought my car with the premium radio installed, and I really like it. On the other hand, I was rather enamored with the in-dash navigation system offer, but I knew that there were other/better after-market navigation system out there.
However, when looking at my audio-system some more, I decided that I really wouldn't want to remove it, even to replace it with a better one. My solution: install a second one, somewhere else in the car.
Make sense? Not really, neither financially nor technically. But, it is a habit of mine to push my purchases to the limit. I regular replace pieces of my computers and videogame systems to make them do things they weren't designed to, mostly for the challenge more than a rational upgrade.
Anyway, I noticed a very conspicuous slot right above the glove compartment and below the airbag on the front passenger side. It seemed like a sweet place to install an in-dash nav/dvd/cd/bla bla player, particularly somthing like the Pioneer Avic-N4. The sliding screen would be optimal given the width of the slot that I am talking about in the car.
So, I did some searching in these forums and online, and discovered that people had, indeed, installed various screens of various kinds into the very slot that I am referring to, although I did not see any in-dash Nav systems (one gentlemen had actually installed 5 screens, including one in the back of the back seat, which seemed a little excessive to me).
If they can do it, I imagine that it may be possible to do this as well. So, my one question might be, has anyone done/seen a modification like this? Two, do you suppose that it is even possible? Three, were it possible, would it interfere with the audio system I already have in place? Finally, if anyone happens to live in the Triangle area of NC, and knows how/knows someone who can do this, then let me know.
It is really great to be here. I hope that my searching skills didn't prove crappy and this very question has already been answered. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2008, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Welcome!
I would go for a small carputer system, easy to have it display on any size screen you choose, very customizable and it wouldn't mess with your present audio system.
OR
You can mount a in dash GPS or single din motorized one there and not use the audio features. It just needs power really.