Go Back   Scionlife.com » Scion xB 2nd Gen » Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2011 [AZE151]

Old 12-01-2011, 02:57 AM   #1
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Toyota 2AZ-FE oil consumption TSB!

It appears Toyota has issued a TSB for Toyota models using the 2AZ-FE engine (excessive oil consumption) -- Scion has apparently not followed suite (tC and xB2). Perhaps this is something Jennifer@Scion could look into for us! Hoping to hear from you Jennifer !

http://www.newscionxb.com/123-2nd-ge...nsumption.html
Performance: homebrew CAI w/TRD air filter and inlet, TB mods (ScionFred P&P, coolant bypass, insulation), Boxstuf SB TBS w/gasket mod, ported painted wrapped Strup knock-off header, ported wrapped W-R "S"-pipe, ported "scuba" resonator/cat, painted original Tsudo dual exhaust w/modded hangers, Agency Power lightweight pulley, 2 AWG battery ground cable
Driver pleasure: Boxstuf Sport Shifter/Boot/Armrests, my lowered clutch-pedal mod, Dr. Isotope fore-aft shift bushing. (Other mods: Lots!)

Last edited by TrevorS; 12-01-2011 at 04:21 AM.
TrevorS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:34 AM   #2
SL Member

yeah my tc drinks oil like no other
gmc_113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:59 AM   #3
SL Member

Looks like I'll be checking mine this weekend
KaneoheKoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:00 AM   #4
5 Year Member
SL Member

I sent a PM to Jennifer@Scion, so hopefully we'll hear from her !
Performance: homebrew CAI w/TRD air filter and inlet, TB mods (ScionFred P&P, coolant bypass, insulation), Boxstuf SB TBS w/gasket mod, ported painted wrapped Strup knock-off header, ported wrapped W-R "S"-pipe, ported "scuba" resonator/cat, painted original Tsudo dual exhaust w/modded hangers, Agency Power lightweight pulley, 2 AWG battery ground cable
Driver pleasure: Boxstuf Sport Shifter/Boot/Armrests, my lowered clutch-pedal mod, Dr. Isotope fore-aft shift bushing. (Other mods: Lots!)
Old 12-01-2011, 06:00 AM   #5
5 Year Member
SL Member

XIEmperorIX
Send a message via AIM to XIEmperorIX

Glad to know that they are issuing a TSB for that..my tC went through oil like crazy..oil light came on after only like 3k miles and it was practically bone dry when I would check..

Don't have the tC anymore for that reason.
XIEmperorIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:44 AM   #6
SL Member

I haven't paid attention to exactly how much oil my tc has been burning up but I know it has. Gotta keep an eye on this and see what they say.
c500129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
5 Year Member
SL Member

i check mine every gas fill up or once a week,havent noticed any major oil burning,i had other cars in the past that would burn oil like crazy,but then again there were over 100k milage

Powered by Dezod S1 Turbo Kit w/dumptube ....Teins H Springs...TWM Stage 2 SS w/Cage bushings and Tranny Bushings...Megans Racing Exhaust....6k Hids..%20 Windows tint....APT Fog lights......Blox Counterweight shift ****....P1 Side Skirts.......Mobile 1 motor oil..Eneos Racing Tranny Oil...OBX Racing pedals....ACT Street clutch w/heavy Duty pressure plate...Compeitition Clutch 12lb Flywheel..General HP Tires.......Walbro 255 Fuel pump...
my06tc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:04 PM   #8
Jon
Administrator
Premium Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Icebergg Slimm
Send a message via AIM to Jon

Mine burns about 1/8 qt between oil changes. Healthy motor ftw.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #9
5 Year Member
SL Member

well that explains ALOT for me...

every 1500 miles i have to add about 1 qrts to 2 qrts of oil FTL. at first i thought it was me... but i guess its a wide spread thing.

currently almost 90k miles on THIS motor. (the built HC one). i have always hated the oil consumption on this car. i guess ill have to investigate more

i use mobil 1 fully synthetic 10w30 though... synthetic i know burns alot faster then conventional oil.

MY BUILD THREAD!BBS LM restoration thread
TCpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #10
Scion Cust Svc
SCION CORP
SL Member

Hey guys, a TSB has been released for the 2007-2009 tC and 2008-2009 xB with the 2AZ-FE engine. It was released August 11th and includes information pertaining to oil consumption and how to determine the consumption rate. If you want to start an oil consumption test, bring the vehicle in to a dealership and they can begin.

This does still fall under the applicable warranty (powertrain warranty) which is 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.

Any questions, feel free to call us or PM me!
Timiesha@Scion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #11
SL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer@Scion View Post
Hey guys, a TSB has been released for the 2007-2009 tC and 2008-2009 xB with the 2AZ-FE engine. It was released August 11th and includes information pertaining to oil consumption and how to determine the consumption rate. If you want to start an oil consumption test, bring the vehicle in to a dealership and they can begin.

This does still fall under the applicable warranty (powertrain warranty) which is 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.

i WAS gonna mention this but you beat me to it.i just scrapped the 3 tc and 1xb2 blocks we had......
ROCKLANDTOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:30 PM   #12
Scion Cust Svc
SCION CORP
SL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKLANDTOYOTA View Post
i WAS gonna mention this but you beat me to it.i just scrapped the 3 tc and 1xb2 blocks we had......

Good lookin' out ;)
Timiesha@Scion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #13
SL Member

so nothing about the 05-06 motor?? thats bull____!

i jus did my oul change 1300 miles ago and im already dry, literally dipstick is at empty
Old 12-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #14
SL Member

oil*
Old 12-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #15
AAG
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I guess I lucked out. Just finished a 10,000 mile oil run and added zero oil. The oil level was at the full line and dropped maybe a 1/3 of the way between the normal range on the dipstick. I was shocked!

This is why I tell people to break in their engines HARD. Dumped the factory oil at 2k and I have never had to add oil between oil changes.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:42 AM   #16
5 Year Member
SL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer@Scion View Post

Thanks for getting back to us on this Jennifer ! I think this is basically the response we were hoping for. Guess I need to find a copy of the Scion TSB so I can see what the repair consists of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc_113 View Post
so nothing about the 05-06 motor?? thats bull____!

i jus did my oul change 1300 miles ago and im already dry, literally dipstick is at empty
Drag about your xB1 1NZ-FE, but no, that's a different engine !

PS. If I'm wrong and you're referring to the 2005 model year tC with a 2AZ-FE, then please reiterate your concern. Clearly, the original tC with the 2AZ-FE is also likely to be affected !

Last edited by TrevorS; 12-02-2011 at 05:55 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:22 PM   #17
SL Member

no xb! lol i have an 05 tc 2AZFE with 144,444 miles.

im alil ____ed off as to why its only a recall for the 07& up models. thats annoying!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:30 PM   #18
AAG
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

144,000 miles....It's going to burn some oil lol. Upgrade to a 40 weight oil to help slow down the consumption.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:08 AM   #19
5 Year Member
SL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc_113 View Post
no xb! lol i have an 05 tc 2AZFE with 144,444 miles.

im alil ____ed off as to why its only a recall for the 07& up models. thats annoying!
That's a lot of miles which tends to affect oil consumption. My '90 Eclipse engine at 130Kmi isn't as good as it once was, but I sorta expect that ! Perhaps you could look into the TSB and have the same steps performed? (Hopefully, just a hone and replacement rings, though probably worthwhile to have the crank journals checked and a head overhaul at the same time -- bearings, valves, seats, and seals get tired after a while.)
Old 12-03-2011, 04:35 AM   #20
5 Year Member
SL Member

Send a message via AIM to draxcaliber

hmmm...strange that 2AZ-FE powered scions aren't on the TSB. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that all those models are built in North America, and Scions are built in Japan.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:35 AM
Scionlife.com
Scion TC

Paid Advertisement

Tags
07, 2az, 2azfe, 2nd, average, burning, consumption, engine, gen, loss, newer, oil, scion, tc, toyota, tsb, xb