Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

What services do I need after 4 years but few miles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Question What services do I need after 4 years but few miles?

Hi all,

My 2013 xB is now almost 4 years old but only has 24k miles on it.

I have scheduled my oil change for the end of the month but, because my car is 4 years old, do i need any of these performed?

- brake fluid flush
- transmission fluid flush and/or filter change
- do i need a new battery?

I have read on this forum that the fluids (and battery) should be changed due to the age, not the mileage on them. If this is the case, then I plan on scheduling
the above services a few months apart so I can pay for them without having a heart attack

Thanks in advance guys.
-mtd

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-20-2017 at 10:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-10-2017, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not a by the book kind of guy (well sometime I am) so...

Brake fluid. I change it when I change the pads out, but I don't flush it and I don't change the hoses out like they suggest. I do pump out the fluid from the reservoir though.

Tranny fluid. These are better than honda transmissions (which I changed the fluid and filter on every 30K and it still burned out after only 100K) - so I would say wait till 50K for the change.
Check the fluid and if it smells sweet & red, it's good. Brown or burned smell - summat is up. (The honda fluid was still sweet and red when it failed)

If you are worried about the battery, take it to Auto zone or similar and get it tested. If you have your own voltmeter, 12.3V after a nights rest means it's going bad. The other way to tell (if you are lucky) is if you notice it cranking slightly slower than normal.

Consumer reports likes the Everstart max from walmart. Yea, I know, go figure.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Rich,

Thank you for the feedback and detailed tips. After I check the transmission fluid, I think I am going to get the tranny fluid/brake fluids done. I always err on the side of caution and this car has served me and my family well for 4 years so to me, it's worth the $ to have piece of mind by getting those done.

Cheers and enjoy your week,
-mtd
Old 03-19-2017, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

update on what i had done to my car here: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sci...2/#post4180313

cliff notes - tech said no need to change brake/tranny/coolant at only 24k miles even though the car is 4 years old. so i just had the oil changed + carwash for $23 total.

other: i ordered quieter tires from costco for $502 installed. they get installed on tuesday.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

brake coolant and tranny fluid should be changed because they are 4 plus years old, regardless of the mileage...personally, I would do tranny fluid every 2 years, brake fluid every 2 years, and coolant every two years....these fluids go bad and hoses and seals will begin leaking without regular maintenance....

of course the tech will tell you not to change them...cause when you dont, he'll make more money replacing your leaky brake calipers, leaking radiator or hoses, and your dead tranny....
Old 05-02-2017, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pdxgen2
brake coolant and tranny fluid should be changed because they are 4 plus years old, regardless of the mileage...personally, I would do tranny fluid every 2 years, brake fluid every 2 years, and coolant every two years....these fluids go bad and hoses and seals will begin leaking without regular maintenance....

of course the tech will tell you not to change them...cause when you dont, he'll make more money replacing your leaky brake calipers, leaking radiator
or hoses, and your dead tranny....
Thanks for the input. These were my thoughts too that, due to the age, the fluids should be replaced... I will probably replace them then throughout the year...