Whining sound on my xB 2012 109k miles - Scionlife.com

Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2011 [AZE151]

Old 02-21-2017, 05:02 PM   #1

Default Whining sound on my xB 2012 109k miles

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and new to scion cars too. I bought my scion 2012 xB on November last year from Toyota dealer and it has 109k miles on it. So far everything is good but there are two things that make me annoyed
1. The car is not gas efficient. I have to fill up my tank at around 230 miles.
2. There is a whining sound when i accelerate my car. It sounds like supercharge, not to loud but annoying to me. I look through the posts here but can not find out whats wrong with it. I will attack the record of the sound below
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-K...ljbjhmYjA/view

Please let me know if you have the same sound as mine
Thank you
​​​​​ P/s : this guy has exactly the same whining sound as mine

Ttran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:39 AM   #2
5 Year Member
SL Member

If your xB2 is automatic, this is the biggest reason behind it's lacking gas efficiency. 4 gears means a higher cruising RPM at highway speeds, more fuel consumption. If the xB2 had another gear or two, you'd see a big bump in efficiency. I know some 5 speed manual xB2 owners who complain of the same lack of efficiency.

Not sure if my car has the whining noise, maybe I just don't notice it anymore. If anything, I've heard this whining in a good handful of other makes and models of cars. I'd dismiss it as a normal sound at this point.
jnaval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnaval View Post
If your xB2 is automatic, this is the biggest reason behind it's lacking gas efficiency. 4 gears means a higher cruising RPM at highway speeds, more fuel consumption. If the xB2 had another gear or two, you'd see a big bump in efficiency. I know some 5 speed manual xB2 owners who complain of the same lack of efficiency.

Not sure if my car has the whining noise, maybe I just don't notice it anymore. If anything, I've heard this whining in a good handful of other makes and models of cars. I'd dismiss it as a normal sound at this point.
Thanks for your reply, so you mean the whining sound is normal for scion xB ?? I contacted the guy who posted the video on youtube (the video above) and he said there were nothing wrong with the car.However the noise is so annoying.
Ttran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:52 PM   #4

This is how sounds mine, off ground in towers. In ground sounds almost exactly as the other video of the guy's tC. It is 2008 5spd manual.
kalajary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:12 AM   #5

Check your belts. They may be too tight?....or possibly the bearings in your AC compressor or power steering pump could be shot. Check the belts first though.
09BlackberryCrush is offline   Reply With Quote