Notices

New to TPMS. Getting new wheels - options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member

Question New to TPMS. Getting new wheels - options?

This is the first vehicle I've owned with TPMS sensors. I plan to replace the stock steel wheels permanently with aftermarket. The wheels are not that expensive, so I would just leave them on the car when sold.

I talked with the tire/alinment shop I've used, and they say that all do not follow the same protocol when swapping wheels. Since they have never dealt with an xB with TPMS, I'm looking to gather correct information for the shop, so I don't get caught paying for something I really don't need.

So, there's $100 to swap current tires onto the new wheels.

He said many times they have to reprogram the TPMS's, a $49 charge. Does not seem you would need to do this, if only switching out wheels. I know they do this for new sensors, though he said sometimes they have had to do it, even if all you are doing is swapping out wheels.

He said they may require some type of special "long" valve stem at $8/ea, but was not sure. ??

He said he wasn't even sure the OEM sensors would work, going from a steel wheel to aluminum (the thought being different metal thickness). ??

Appreciate the help. It's not a critical item, though I would like to keep TPMS if possible, for resale.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They should transfer over fine. I've used the stock TPMS sensors on three sets of wheels with no issue. No reprogramming necessary, no different valve stems, nothing. $100 to swap tires over seems pretty high. I would check around at a few different shops to compare prices. I don't know how they couldn't have dealt with an xB after 7 years into the current platform, but it is the same as almost every other Toyota.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the feedback. All the places around here charge $25 to mount/balance, once all the B.S. fees are tacked on. It's really like $20, but then they add for the stem, environmental hazard (which I would not be charged, since using existing tires) Maybe I had them done for $20/ea. once, inclusive. How little do you pay?
Old 01-02-2015, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member

dude dont know where you are, i bought my new tires, and my new rims to 106st tire here, and they charged ten bucks a wheel. that included pulling my stock tires and rims off my car, removing the tpms, putting them in the new rims, mounting the new tires balancing etc..
Old 01-03-2015, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pricing when I moved tires was more in line with what MrAlucard got as well. This was at a Discount Tire. Now I may have gotten that price since I take all my cars there to get tires and so does my ex so they get a fair amount of business from us but I don't think so.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, see i actually found an old thread rather than starting a new one ! I am thinking about getting these wheels for my 2014 xB.

Wheel Details - Discount Tire Direct

Vision Cross (gunmetal gray)

I'm just going to get the 16 inch and have the stock tires installed. Now when i added these wheels to my cart, they ask me if i want additional accessories.
1. TPMS "rebuild kit" $ 11.00
2. Wheel installation kit $ 45.00 (chrome lugs and tool)
3. I think they asked me if i needed valve stems too.

So, I have never had aftermarket alloys installed before. I assume that you do need the lugs and tool, but what about the other stuff ? Is that stuff you "might" need if the stock ones are damaged ? Couldn't the installation shop provide them if you needed them ? I hate to order them and not use them. Do you normally just transfer the TPMS sensors without issue ? My car only has 7000 miles on it.

thanks
Old 05-22-2016, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, you're going to want new (chromed/anodized) capped lug nuts vs the open-ended carbon steel OEM units to make your wheels pretty. Compare with AutoZone/O'Reilly's etc pricing.
It wouldn't hurt to spring for new chrome-sleeved valve stems too but, at your mileage, your unit's rubber will not be compromised so it's not absolutely needed.
Your OEM TPMS units are going to fit fine, unless you buy older JDM rims which require an adaptor (which you're not). You don't need a rebuild kit or reprogramming. So it comes down to negotiating a fee to swap out with the installer; be tough because you're already paying him $100+ for ~1 hour's work...

Then, the rule is pics or it didn't happen.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Wheel info

Thanks for the info GDubya. I'll post pics when I get it done.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:10 AM
5 Year Member

TPMS rebuild kits are $5 at Oreillys. They come with new washer, rubber gasket, shrader, nut and cap. Toyota/Lexus TPMS torque spec is 35 in/lbs BTW.