Notices

TPMS PVC trick works! UPDATED W/PICS

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TPMS PVC trick works! UPDATED W/PICS

Gang, I wanted to give an update. I've created the PVC pipe capsule for my TPMS sensors........and it works!

I bought some wheels, and I took the TPMS sensors from the steelies and placed them all inside a 3" diameter piece of PVC and glued on two endcaps. Before gluing on the second endcap, I drilled a hole and placed a regular rubber valve stem in it. I even put some small pieces of foam inside to keep the sensors from rattling around. I sealed it all up and inflated it to 35 PSI. I placed the contraption in the trunk area underneath the trunk floor in the small well on the right side. The TPMS light on the dash went out within 1 minute. It hasn't returned in weeks.

Total cost about $10. Total time about 20 minutes.

DIsclaimer: DO not perform this trick, It will defeat the purpose of the TPMS system. I accept no responsibility if you try this

I offset the rubber valve stem in the cap because of the raised lettering on the cap. I also had to coutersink the stem on the inside due to the thickness of the cap. I don't think it will effect the integrity of the capsule because the PVC is rated at 250 PSI, and I filled it to 35.

Again, do not attempt. I immediately returned my sensors to their wheels for safety purposes after these pics were taken. This exercise was conducted for experimentation purposes only.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great to hear that the trick actually works. I always wondered about it.

I took the gauge face apart and actually placed some electrical tape over the TPMS light. This work good too.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:06 PM
PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is what i did to mine... not sure if anyone would know (it's from the game Portal by Valve (part of orange box)).

^_^
Old 08-22-2008, 04:01 PM

how did you do that? ^^
Old 08-22-2008, 09:50 PM
PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...6424&start=120

:-)
Old 08-22-2008, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: TPMS PVC trick works!

Originally Posted by Maytag
Gang, I wanted to give an update. I've created the PVC pipe capsule for my TPMS sensors........and it works!

I bought some wheels, and I took the TPMS sensors from the steelies and placed them all inside a 3" diameter piece of PVC and glued on two endcaps. Before gluing on the second endcap, I drilled a hole and placed a regular rubber valve stem in it. I even put some small pieces of foam inside to keep the sensors from rattling around. I sealed it all up and inflated it to 35 PSI. I placed the contraption in the trunk area underneath the trunk floor in the small well on the right side. The TPMS light on the dash went out within 1 minute. It hasn't returned in weeks.

Total cost about $10. Total time about 20 minutes.

DIsclaimer: DO not perform this trick, It will defeat the purpose of the TPMS system. I accept no responsibility if you try this
Please post some pics of the TPMS PVC device. I would be very interested in doing this in the future. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

My friend did that with his and its dope. I'm thinking about doing it but I'm gonna probbaly try to diguise it a lil
Old 10-30-2009, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, so I guess I'm stupid!

Why would you want to do this? For years I've had problems with tires going low without my realizing it, this resulting in accelerated tire wear, higher fuel consumption, and worsened handling. I was generally slow discovering the tire pressure had dropped (be it one tire or more)!

TPMS alerts me to that problem before it becomes a problem. Why would you want to defeat that?
Old 10-30-2009, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TrevorS, some people regularly check their tire pressure anyway so the TPMS was just a big hassle when it came to mounting different sets of wheels and having to worry about if the wheels were compatiable with the sensors and all that jazz.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, some people (I'm not one of them) are willing to sacrifice the TPMS feature for the sake of purchasing a package deal online of tires & wheels that arrive mounted, balanced and ready to bolt on. The PVC pipe trick is just a way to get rid of the light on the dash for people who went this way with their tire/wheel purchase.

People in winter climates are also prone to leaving the TPMS sensors in their winter set of tires & wheels, and using the pipe trick to keep the light off when they have their summer tires & wheels on.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You guys read my mind.

Doing the trick will keep the warning light in the dash off. If you run two sets of wheels and tires, you can get a second set of sensors installed in the second set of wheels ($$$) and then take the car to the dealership every time you switch sets to have the computer recognize the installed set ($$$). Doing the TPMS trick avoids that.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but the sensors won't trip if you're only 2-3 PSI low. I would probably guess a 4-5 PSI drop being the threshold, but I'm not positive. TPMS DOES NOT ALLEVIATE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE DRIVER TO CHECK TIRE PRESSURES. At least for the xB. Some cars give actual tire pressures per wheel (I'm not sure how precise those are). My point being, that if you think TPMS means your running at the recommended PSI as long as the dash light isn't on, your probably low.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:35 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

This is a good mod for people using wheels that dont accept the sensors. The TPMS is a joke imo. Its not going to mean jack if you have a blow out and it goes off way too much during the winter because of the fluctuating tire pressure. Take the time to check your pressure every time you fill your tank and youll be fine.