Notices

TRD wheel locks on 19" TRD wheels?

Old 02-15-2015, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member

Default TRD wheel locks on 19" TRD wheels?

Hey guys a few quick questions,

So I just bought my car and got the 19" TRD wheels through the dealer but still waiting for them to come in. I was wondering if the TRD wheel locks are any good?

I looked through the forums and saw people recommending Gorilla wheel locks and they are under $20 so that's pretty reasonable. But how effective are those? I've seen YouTube videos where people just hammer on the socket and BAM comes right off.

So what's your guys input? Which brand do you recommend? Should I buy wheel locks all around? I'm bound to hear someone hammering away at 20 wheel locks trying to get them all off.

Also! Last two questions. I've never had a car with that tire pressure monitoring system, so if I remove and install wheel locks, does that make the sensor go off? And I've looked up guides on how to read lug nut sizes but still a bit lost... Can someone dumb it down for me?

Appreciate the info guys.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I'll put it to you this way: if someone wants your wheels, they'll get them. Period. It doesn't matter what locking lugs you have, they'll get them off.

TPMS sensors are inside the wheel and tire. They're actually apart of the valve stem. With that being said, how would installing wheel locks make the sensor go off?

If you Google, scion lug thread, you'll come up with the correct thread size and pitch. Heck, I have free time I'll do it for you.

M12x1.50.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:10 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
I'll put it to you this way: if someone wants your wheels, they'll get them. Period. It doesn't matter what locking lugs you have, they'll get them off.

TPMS sensors are inside the wheel and tire. They're actually apart of the valve stem. With that being said, how would installing wheel locks make the sensor go off?

If you Google, scion lug thread, you'll come up with the correct thread size and pitch. Heck, I have free time I'll do it for you.

M12x1.50.
You make a good point. I think instead of worrying about what wheel locks I need to get, I just need to get good insurance lol. Don't get me wrong though, I'll pick some up still but no need for me to stress out.

Ahhh I didn't know it was in the wheel and tire itself. That's good to know. I think the only thing is if I install them myself, I need to make sure I torque it correctly to the 75 foot pound pressure recommendation. Am I saying that right? Still learning the technical terms but I'm trying!

Lug thread! I'll remember that. I had no idea what to search for.

Thanks for the info man, appreciate it!
Old 02-18-2015, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

The correct torque is around 75 pound feet of torque. If you snug them up a good bit by hand and go to a tire shop (or the dealer where you purchased the car), they should be able to set them correctly for you.

I'm assuming you're currently on the OEM 16" wheels, correct? If this is the case, the TPMS sensors will have to be removed and placed on to the new wheels prior to the tires being mounted. If you're having all of this done, may as well have the shop bolt the new wheels on to the car. You shouldn't have to worry about a thing.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member

As of now I am still on the OEM 16" but im getting the work done at the dealer so they should do it correctly.

On the side note though, since I'm getting the 19's through them and a few other parts through them as well, would it be wrong of me to ask for my OEM stuff back? Like they should give me the 16's and lets say the OEM shocks and exhaust and whatever else I'm doing right? I mean the parts I'm replacing don't even have 200 miles on them...

I'm thinking of marking the OEM parts with like silver sharpie or something or maybe throwing whiteout in between the tire treads so if they do give them back to me, they don't give me some junk stuff they have in the back.

Do I sound crazy for thinking this? lol!
Old 02-19-2015, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Always ask for stock parts back.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:45 PM

Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 71633N "The System" Acorn Wheel Locks (12mm x 1.50 Thread Size) - For 5 Lug Wheels: Automotive Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 71633N "The System" Acorn Wheel Locks (12mm x 1.50 Thread Size) - For 5 Lug Wheels: Automotive

Link for Gorilla Automotive Products "The Original System" includes 20 wheel locks and the key for $43.00 at Amazon. A pro will get your wheels, but this will slow them down. I also like the Gorilla GUARD locks with a free-spinning sleeve: Gorilla Automotive Products - Lug Nuts, Wheel Locks, Auto Security, Wheel Accessories (link is to Gorilla website).
Old 03-03-2015, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Zenwalker
Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 71633N "The System" Acorn Wheel Locks (12mm x 1.50 Thread Size) - For 5 Lug Wheels: Automotive

Link for Gorilla Automotive Products "The Original System" includes 20 wheel locks and the key for $43.00 at Amazon. A pro will get your wheels, but this will slow them down. I also like the Gorilla GUARD locks with a free-spinning sleeve: Gorilla Automotive Products - Lug Nuts, Wheel Locks, Auto Security, Wheel Accessories (link is to Gorilla website).
This is awesome! Thanks for the link, totally buying these. I know a pro will still take them if they want them but giving them a hard time is better than nothing. Appreciate it!