Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

AIR BOX SWAP

Old 12-16-2016, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default AIR BOX SWAP

So, I was wondering if anyone knows if the stock xD air box is the same as the xB or tC? I am having trouble finding any local yards that have xDs, but plenty of tCs and xBs and I need to put the stock airbox back into my xD and am unable to locate all the parts to my original.

The reason being... my xD has 92,000 and the ECM has failed. Apparently there's a lawsuit going on with these ECMs failing randomly with no explanation and I am needing to put the stock airbox back in so I can get the ECM replaced at no cost, otherwise its around $1,100 for a new one.

I just went to start my car one morning and it cranked, but no start. After troublshooting as far as I could (fuses, fuel pump, etc) I took it to my local Master Tech and he was unable to do anything due to the ECM having no output. After talking with Toyota is when I found out these have been failing with no explanation. It sucks having a car for 8 years only 92,000 miles and an issue like this happens
Old 12-23-2016, 04:15 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

No, the xD Airbox is not Interchangeable with the xB or tC.
Different Part Nos., Different Prices. NOT Compatible.

A Friendly Suggestion: It's Always Best when a Poster have a Vehicle in their Garage or Specify their Exact Year and Model to eliminate Guesswork.
You mention something about 8 years so I am going to take it you have a 2008
xD.

Also good to include pics and/or state what is your Current Airbox and what Missing Parts you need in order to bring it back to Stock.

That is probably why you went over 200 views w/o a Reply.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-07-2017 at 12:58 AM.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Current Air Intake Photo

2009 Scion xD

I currently have the top of the air cleaner assembly with the filter and gasket in my possession (stock air flow sensor still in use in engine bay).

The missing parts I need are the connections/tubing that go from the air box to the engine itself. The two RED and one BLUE Spectre couplings with hose clamps are in place of what I believe are the missing parts I need.

I'm not sure what the actual linkage is between the air box and engine (majority of photos online are aftermarket), but if anyone has an aftermarket intake and actually is in possession of the original parts I need I'm hoping it's possible to put a fair price on them.

I've searched around Orlando, but it's almost impossible find in Central Florida a salvaged Scion xD... I've been to multiple local scrap yards that did have xD's, but were already stripped way down and the parts I need aren't there, plus I've called yards that are further away and they either don't have xD's or the intake is not there at all

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails AIR BOX SWAP-intake.jpg  
Old 12-24-2016, 03:56 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Thanks for providing the Vehicle information.
And the pic was helpful. At least we see what you are up against and it allows other xD owners to Chime In.

My Experience is 9 years with the 2006 xB and almost 2 years with my
2015 tC RS9. I can only provide you with the Toyota Parts List for your 2009 xD Intake.
I can't offer you direct assistance or knowledge with the 2009 xD.

I'll let you check the Parts List to determine what you need & maybe a xD owner can provide any tips or help.

You may have to order New Parts or Search for used parts.

I hope this helps.

Search this Thread