Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

exhaust systems.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default exhaust systems.

I've been searching both Japan and the U.S for some afterwarketexhaust systems. Turned up nothing too. Now I know about waht has been put up here. just doesn't impress me. I don't want the Honda blatty buzzing tack on muffler crap. Toyota engines have a distinct sound when piped right. e.g. my xB is still using full stock exhaust with a giant dual tip on the stock muffler. The sound is very cool. little higher pitched than any aftermarket stuff. So That is the challenge for the aftermarket people.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im a little confused here. not really sure how an 'exhaust tip' after the stock muffler is changing your sound that much. is it something else?

not sure what you mean either by it sounding cool because its a little higher pitched than any other aftermarket stuff... then what is the 'honda blatty buzzing tack on muffler crap' sound that you dont want?

what is this challenge you speak of for the aftermarket people?

are you judging the sound of exhaust youve seen on here by those little clips people post in this drivetrain section after recording them with cell phones and cameras? thats not very fair, lol.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ Hey are you talking about me?

Honestly it is hard to make a call on how the system sounds through the internet, which sucks. Hopefully if you go to some local Scion events and ask around for owners with certain exhausts and listen to them revv the car then you should be able to make a good decision. Yes yes, I know their engines would be different than the xD so the sound wouldn't be the same, but you'd be able to tell if its an awful raspy exhaust or a good one.

Though I do recommend the TRD because it is quiet but sounds great when accelerating
Old 06-10-2008, 02:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

raspy exhaust tones usually comes from ebay brands, poor welding, or full race exhausts. You can also hear this on some exhausts with large tips.

To me most engines sound alike nowadays since most use variable timing now (with exception to FI engines).
Old 06-10-2008, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the challengei s to start making attractive exhaust systems. can we get something with dual tip rather than a single 4inch tip? how about quad duals? ANd you know what I mean when I say blatty. We've all seen the status quo with the typical mufflers pointing at the ground. Even the Scions have it now. I'm looking for something that is still somewhat hidden away but yet sounds decent and has an attractive ending...
Old 06-10-2008, 08:20 PM

Default Thrush

I think mine is just a Thrush chopped and welded on. Kinda got a growl to it....not a fart can by a long shot. Just welded the OEM tip back on and it is small enough to be put on an angle so you only see the tip sticking out. It only gets kinda loud around a few rpms but really kicks up the sound around 4-5k. Down the highway you may never know it is there.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ChelsDS
^^ Hey are you talking about me?
your video clip was better than mine, i took mine on a cell phone, heh. but even with the best camera/microphone, hearing it over the internet will never get you as close to how it sounds in person.

JDMJim, i know what you mean, im just a little confused here by your statement of disliking the "honda blatty buzz" sound, but saying that yours sounding higher-pitched than any other aftermarket stuff sounds 'very cool'. i personally wouldnt want my car sounding like a leaf blower either, but i dont know how there is another form of high pitched that is very cool. what do you mean by quad dual tips? if i do my math right, i cant see an xD looking "attractive" with 8 exhaust tips coming out the back. i dont think that would be very "hidden away" either. what exactly are you trying to say?
Old 06-10-2008, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

had I said quad and you prolly woulda thought four on one side. sorry you read too much between the lines. Guess you'd have to hear the xB in person to understand what I mean too. oh well...
Old 06-11-2008, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JDMJim
the challengei s to start making attractive exhaust systems. can we get something with dual tip rather than a single 4inch tip? how about quad duals? ANd you know what I mean when I say blatty. We've all seen the status quo with the typical mufflers pointing at the ground. Even the Scions have it now. I'm looking for something that is still somewhat hidden away but yet sounds decent and has an attractive ending...
had I said quad and you prolly woulda thought four on one side. sorry you read too much between the lines. Guess you'd have to hear the xB in person to understand what I mean too. oh well...
four tips on one side? what the hell are you talking about? and im pretty sure the word 'quad' was combined with the world 'dual' in your previous statement, as quoted above. i made them bold so you could find those two words a little easier, despite the fact that one follows the other. just trying to understand what a 'quad dual' exhaust is, as ive never heard that term before. lets see, if 'dual' is two, then 'dual dual' would be four (also known as quad), meaning 'quad dual' is eight. are you trying to describe a dual exhaust with dual tips on each side? dont really think im reading between any lines, more like as literal as you can get. could you please explain these 'quad duals' a little further for the rest of us please if its not 8 exhaust tips coming out of somewhere on the rear of the vehicle. maybe draw us a picture or something if you cant use words. you have failed to explain anything youve been writing earlier, so nevermind if its too tough. and i agree with you, dont bother posting a clip of your xB, because if i heard how high pitched youre describing it as being, i would simply tell you it sounds like a blatty buzzing honda. just been trying to get an explanation from you since im not even really quite sure what the point of this thread is yet... so again, asking about what you opened the thread with:

how does an exhaust tip after after stock muffler changing your sound that much. is it something else? how is just the tip changing your stock sound to be higher than any other aftermarket exhausts?

and how does is sound that high pitched, but not sound like a honda? please go into more detail about this.

and by the challenge to make attractive exhausts, are you meaning visually, functionally, or audibly attractive? because that is going to vary between everyone. youre preferring a more visually appealing exhaust i take it?
Old 06-11-2008, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sigh, what ever b!tch. not sure what crawled up your a$$, but you are being a pain now. I don't believe I started any crap with you, so I don't understand whats going on here. oh I get it, typical SL stuff again. peeps bullying each other. I never hatied your car or your intelligence, so back off
Old 06-11-2008, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If your unsatisfied with the market, u can always buy a performance muffler (flow master comes to mind) and have whatever tip u like welded on...
Old 06-11-2008, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sigh, what ever biscuit. not sure what crawled up your a$$, but you are being a pain now. I don't believe I started any crap with you, so I don't understand whats going on here. oh I get it, typical SL stuff again. peeps bullying each other. I never hatied your car or your intelligence, so back off
and you still cant answer the questions i originally asked...

im beginning to see a pattern here, did you ever think that maybe you should read what you actually type? your post history is full of martyring, whining, and bashing.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...light=#3509716

anyway, of the available exhausts for the xD from aftermarket companies, i think they are all overpriced. even the cheapest one from precision muffler is $265, for an axle-back. granted, i spent $350 for the TRD axle back, plus the price of custom piping, but my full catback still totals to be cheaper than Tanabe's axle-back.

as for functionality, axle-backs arent going to do squat on this car, the entire catback system needs to be replaced for any minimal gains. i think the best thing for a company to do is to come out with say a 2.25" mandrel bent catbck, and maybe give a few options for mufflers/resonators/tips when you order depending on the sound you want.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pickledchang
sigh, what ever biscuit. not sure what crawled up your a$$, but you are being a pain now. I don't believe I started any crap with you, so I don't understand whats going on here. oh I get it, typical SL stuff again. peeps bullying each other. I never hatied your car or your intelligence, so back off
and you still cant answer the questions i originally asked...

im beginning to see a pattern here, did you ever think that maybe you should read what you actually type? your post history is full of martyring, whining, and bashing.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...light=#3509716

anyway, of the available exhausts for the xD from aftermarket companies, i think they are all overpriced. even the cheapest one from precision muffler is $265, for an axle-back. granted, i spent $350 for the TRD axle back, plus the price of custom piping, but my full catback still totals to be cheaper than Tanabe's axle-back.

as for functionality, axle-backs arent going to do squat on this car, the entire catback system needs to be replaced for any minimal gains. i think the best thing for a company to do is to come out with say a 2.25" mandrel bent catbck, and maybe give a few options for mufflers/resonators/tips when you order depending on the sound you want.
really, tanabe is just an axle back for that price? that just reeks of insanity. Things like that make me jealous of the Fit's popularity at times :\
Old 06-11-2008, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im 90% sure it is. i searched ebay and other sites, and all tanabe medallion exhausts are axlebacks.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you know, I just don't have time to be heckled, that's all. sometimes I feel that putting up a post to try and inspire someone never works. forget about it. I don't whine, I complain about the immaturity of this forum. altho you'll prolly say that that was immature. well whatever. It's all potiltics in some form or another and sometimes the cage needs to be rattled.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, so far ALL of the mufflers out there are axle-back only. Yes they are ridiculously expensive for what they offer for us. It sucks but I guess not a lot of us are pressuring the right comanies to make catbacks for us.

And boys, be nice JDMJim, he does have a point that you didn't answer his questions very well or at all.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

you know, I just don't have time to be heckled, that's all. sometimes I feel that putting up a post to try and inspire someone never works. forget about it. I don't whine, I complain about the immaturity of this forum. altho you'll prolly say that that was immature. well whatever. It's all potiltics in some form or another and sometimes the cage needs to be rattled.
um what? thats all i can really say
Old 06-12-2008, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

JDMJim, i thought you were quitting the forum? i would say making a thread about quitting is a little whiny, but who am i to judge. still waiting for some answers, btw...

back in the day, i used to have a lancer, and there was a company called JIC Magic that made amazing catbacks.
not sure how many people like their style, but they were always really deep sounding exhausts on the lancers. here is the axle back for the xA:

http://www.jic-magic.com/ViewProduct...55&CarMakeID=8

its early in the morning, so im having trouble coming up with other companies, but i think your right Chels, we could at least pressure the companies making the axle backs now to make a catback. though, i cant imagine how much tanabe would want for a full catback.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pickledchang
its early in the morning, so im having trouble coming up with other companies, but i think your right Chels, we could at least pressure the companies making the axle backs now to make a catback. though, i cant imagine how much tanabe would want for a full catback.
Oh man. That would be so much more expensive than what the current ones are lol. Unless they drop the axle back prices and bump up the catbacks by a few hundred.. eh.. Different maker perhaps?
Old 06-13-2008, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe greddy could help us out? or magnaflow? i guess it depends on what type of exhaust most xD owners are looking for, and from what i can tell, its pretty varied.

Quick Reply: exhaust systems.