Notices
Scion xD Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

PTuning Turbo Kit for the XD

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by xD_kidd91
well there were me and another who been volunteering but yea nothing is gonna get accomplished till 10 ppl are in.
Yep, and there lies the problem...Unfortunately were not gonna get 10 people willing to commit so were kinda SOL...Really sucks they can't lower that number a bit and build the kit...I know once they build their kit, which I know will be top notch, people will buy it...

But for now, xD owners sit and wait...
Old 09-17-2009, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oo well more time to save up.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:39 PM

nooooo!! 2zr-fe...

How about developing a kit that is compatible with the xb, 10th gen corolla, and ts? Maybe then, obtaining the 10x2k deposits might be possible. There is alot of room in the corolla engine bay at least.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DRACHENV6
nooooo!! 2zr-fe...

How about developing a kit that is compatible with the xb, 10th gen corolla, and ts? Maybe then, obtaining the 10x2k deposits might be possible. There is alot of room in the corolla engine bay at least.
if only it was that easy. but im giving it one more yr till something comes up. If not come up with a new mini project. If I play my cards right. maybe a 2zz swap lol
Old 09-22-2009, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Just to chime in, looks like PTuning was looking to set this up as a Production run, i.e. jig the manifold and piping for multiple copies. It will certainly cost more, but if you have the $$ and time to leave your car you might convince them to do a prototype or one-off. There's significantly less R&D needed to only do on-vehicle fitment when reproduceability isn't a factor. Of course, you'd need to leave an xD there for a significant period of time and I'm not sure they'd be willing to take on this project for just a single customer.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think this topic is dead now. just wait out till jan nd see where ppl stand
Old 09-23-2009, 02:57 PM

I think 2zr owners would be less apprehensive of a 2k commitment if there a guarantee (commitment) from PT as well. I.E. Turnaround time, quality/brand of components, minimum power expectations, and proven reliability. I dont think its fair to put all the risk on the company or enthusiasts. 50/50

It's a shame that this fell apart like it did
Old 09-23-2009, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There will be only quality parts used and fitment will be spot on but I see your point about turnaround time and numbers
Old 09-24-2009, 01:34 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by DRACHENV6
I think 2zr owners would be less apprehensive of a 2k commitment if there a guarantee (commitment) from PT as well. I.E. Turnaround time, quality/brand of components, minimum power expectations, and proven reliability. I dont think its fair to put all the risk on the company or enthusiasts. 50/50

It's a shame that this fell apart like it did
Pretty sure a $2k deposit is under 50/50 for the enthusiast. The full turbo, if anything like the (numerous) tC kits, I would guess would be $4k. Schedule would be nice from them, of course they can't really do that until they have 10 ppl sign to even have a start date. PTuning could give a level of effort, i.e. 3, 4 or 6 months from start a kit should be ready. Milestones and labor hours should be pretty easy to determine since they just went through the process on the tC.

Reliability, how do you even plan that before the kit is built and tested? You're turboing a car that was not built for it, expect to do maintenance at some point sooner than stock, just part of going turbo.

For components, look at the tC kit. Chances are there will be a lot of similarities, like a Garrett turbo, Tial BOV, AEM F/IC, t-bolt clamps, and deatschworks injectors. The difficulty I see for them is getting an xD pnp harness made, right now Boomslang, nor anyone else to my knowledge, makes a PnP harness for the xD and I'm pretty sure PTuning doesn't do them in-house.

Finally, power is all based on the tune and boost controller. The same tC turbo kit can put out 240 or 350 HP depending on supporting mods and tune. Really, just pick a (reasonable) number and injectors can be sized to get there. 180+ shouldn't be unreasonable to expect on a kit like this, the Greddy for the 1NZ could even make that if the motor could take it (do not attempt w/out a rod swap).

Good luck to the xD owners. Unfortunately, Scion is enthuesiest driven so if there isn't a market parts won't appear on their own. The tC is still gobbling up most of the R&D for performance parts since it's the most widely raced, we got lucky w/ the old xB in that kits were already out in Japan. Maybe troll the Matrix forums, the current one has the 2ZR-FE as well.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good luck to you XD'ers. Almost bought one myself but I decided to stick with the 2azfe as I knew it was the most mod worthy from the lineup.

As for those seriously interested, I suggest you stick with it and go to Ptuning for some sweet one-off kits!

When I have enough money I will be having them fit their tC kit to my xB. Either that or the Descendant kit but Id rather show my support to a company Ive known and trusted for the past 4 years. They havent worked on any of my cars before but I used to live 10 minutes from their shop(s) and was in SE of NoVA and a lot of my friends had awesome work done there. Their reputation is solid fo sho!
Old 10-19-2009, 07:38 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by youngflyer
are you serious, its ptuning, if they gather enough potential customers and get what they need to get the ball rolling, they will! there not todd from turbo toyotas, ptuning is a very professional company!
/\/\ word