Notices
Scion xD Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Scion xD Boosting problems..

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

took it to a shop in houston, they said the ECU is safe to 10 pounds! i have a wide band Air/Fuel gauge. boost gauge. and oil pressure gauge. they said if i pass 10 then get a tune. the ecu will feed the correct amount of fuel/air bla bla. they said my engine can only handle 8 so run 6 and ill be fine (tuneless) if i upgrade the heads, ill be a safe 12 but dont pass that with out a tune. so bassically unless im a dumbass and turn my boost up ill be fine. if i get a tune they said it would cost 1.100$ and the only diffrence from the way it is now.. is they could govern it down to 7 psi so i dont blow it. so pay 1.100$ and limit myself. or use common sense and stay with a low boost for now?
to be honest im happy with my 6 pounds! ill change some stuff around later

and well what was my problem?
well its not a honda. its a scion. No FMU... so now i need to sell mine....
they are boost ready ish i guess?
so im running 6 pounds. and ran a 10 Flat at the track tonight 1/4th mile

Last edited by microbg; 10-18-2009 at 04:55 AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, if this is true, I'll admit I'm surprised. Great find. Keep us up to date if any problems occur, etc.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

uh..... i think they are yanking your chain man.... im highly doubtful the stock ecu can adapt and adjust itself for that much boost...what are you af at at wot? and u ran a 10 flat in the 1/4... please upload some timeslips..... it takes alot to break in the to 10 second mark?
Old 10-18-2009, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is the wideband hooked up? are you still having problems? what is your a/f ratio looking like as the boots kicks in? it should be heading down to at least 13, maybe 12 (not sure if the ecu will be able to do this). just make sure you arent in the 14/15+ area.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Hmm, I gotta see pics of your runs or slips too...So if i'm understanding what you said, you removed the FMU that you had installed and that fixed the problems you were having...Now your boosting at 6 pounds with no management what so ever and the car is running fine? I have been in talks with Todd at TT (even though we had our differences) and he sold the manifold that he had made for my car to a buddy of his son who owns an xD and that guys son turbo'd his xD...Now that kid is having nothing but problems...Todd says it runs like crap because he was taking the cheap way out and not running fuel management and no tune...Maybe Todd is not telling me the truth or something aint right here...If your right about this, which i'm not saying your not, this could be a good thing...

And please answer pickledchangs questions if your gauges are in fact hooked up...

Thanks for any answers as we're all waiting to here back from you...
Old 10-18-2009, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Sorry guys... 1/8 mile.. not 1/4.
All true tho, ill try and get some videos, im running again next weekend. tracks only open sat night in my town
and im in the optimal when boost kicks in, only running 6 pounds. i like safe

and well. yes! i took out the fmu and that was it, no problems, 6 pounds, runs great! i love it!

the guys i talked to in Houston were saying a tune is pointless for my car because,
1. you get a tune so you can run higher boost! (but our engine only takes 8 stock i guess)
2. they can govern in so it wont blow, but they said use common sense. stay at a low boost, and watch my wide band gauge. but if i really wanted to they could tune it. they could. but the recommended i change the tiny internals on the engine and dual spring the valves and simple things like that. but that's more $.
and i'm really happy with my 6 pounds and running 10's on a 1/8 mile (for now...)
my lowest was the 10 but i was in the 10 range all night. did 12's at first. figuring out the best shift points

all in all tho, MAF befor the turbo, running 6 pounds, car sounds like a beast, does surprisingly good burnouts, and its all running great, check engine light, due to my exhuast (no cat)

one con. the xd has a sad clutch (from start) so i have to take off slow to around 10 mph, Then floor it and go!
Old 10-19-2009, 06:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm... you should be running better than 10s in the 1/8th... thats mid-high 15s in the 1/4. clutch must be real sad, lol. i think someone around here threw in an aftermarket one for a yaris or something and it fit, havent been following it really...

what is your a/f ratio at while running the full 6 lbs?
Old 10-20-2009, 12:50 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Good! Glad to hear its running good now!

Now we need an entire list of every part used for the turbo build =D
Old 10-20-2009, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if i can get my hands on a stock exhaust manifold/downpipe for a good price, ill be adding a wire-feed to my xmas list and possibly be pursuing this myself.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Michael, quit driving your car and tell us the skinny J/K...Any new updates? Still running good? Any new problems? AFR's?
Old 10-21-2009, 01:00 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by YELOSUB
Michael, quit driving your car and tell us the skinny J/K...Any new updates? Still running good? Any new problems? AFR's?
... complete parts list? including where they were sourced from?

Last edited by WellesleyScion; 10-28-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Off course the FMU was the problem!! Didn't I told you since the beginning that you can not run a FMU on a returnless fuel system!!!

6 psi with no tune is not that dangerous if you are using the TC injectors, but I should still keep the AEM FIC and TUNE at the top of your list of To do's...

Don't abuse the car on the current set up!! And please run only PREMIUM fuel...!!

Enjoy your car!!
Old 10-25-2009, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Man he must be enjoying the ride...Hasn't posted up in awhile...Waiting on some updates...
Old 10-26-2009, 12:33 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by pickledchang
hmm... you should be running better than 10s in the 1/8th... thats mid-high 15s in the 1/4. clutch must be real sad, lol. i think someone around here threw in an aftermarket one for a yaris or something and it fit, havent been following it really...
Something seems really off. I ran 10.3 at my fastest completely stock in the 1/8th, and in the tens the rest of the runs.

Last edited by ChelsDS; 11-11-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Well its doing great! i am having fun with it
still running 6 PSI, low 9's at the track now (reran the MAF setup.) runs much better as a Blow Trough setup, it was running slugish when shifting. i think it was BOV related. now its after the BOV and running much better!

and well i cant find the kit i got. but i got it off ebay. i did however post it on my clubs site back when i started all this a few months back
http://www.southernunderground.org/a...bo-on-the-way-

ignore the Turbo manifold tho. it did fit the car. but was to close to the fire wall. the turbo would not bolt on. which is why i made the headers into a manifold.

and i am currently saving up for a tune. i want new heads and i want to dual spring the valves due to how they float at high speeds. i got to 145 (about 7 months ago before the turbo) and about 2 months after that one of my valve stems fell. the toyata techs that fixed it told me that at high speeds are valves stay open due to heat. so for high speeds... we need springs to force them back down the way they should be.

since the turbo (and the valve stem problem) i have never passed 110 mph. next time i break a stem.. the toyota warranty wont be covering the damage..

any way i am going up to Houston next week to talk to a turbo company. they are impressed with my car and would like me to come up and they will dyno me (for free =D) and they want to help me with a tune as well. so ill try my best to keep you guys updated!

i was recently promoted and i am now a trainer with dish network. we just hired a full class of Techs so the next month or two will be a bit busy for myself.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by microbg
Well its doing great! i am having fun with it
still running 6 PSI, low 9's at the track now (reran the MAF setup.) runs much better as a Blow Trough setup, it was running slugish when shifting. i think it was BOV related. now its after the BOV and running much better!

and well i cant find the kit i got. but i got it off ebay. i did however post it on my clubs site back when i started all this a few months back
http://www.southernunderground.org/a...bo-on-the-way-

ignore the Turbo manifold tho. it did fit the car. but was to close to the fire wall. the turbo would not bolt on. which is why i made the headers into a manifold.

and i am currently saving up for a tune. i want new heads and i want to dual spring the valves due to how they float at high speeds. i got to 145 (about 7 months ago before the turbo) and about 2 months after that one of my valve stems fell. the toyata techs that fixed it told me that at high speeds are valves stay open due to heat. so for high speeds... we need springs to force them back down the way they should be.

since the turbo (and the valve stem problem) i have never passed 110 mph. next time i break a stem.. the toyota warranty wont be covering the damage..

any way i am going up to Houston next week to talk to a turbo company. they are impressed with my car and would like me to come up and they will dyno me (for free =D) and they want to help me with a tune as well. so ill try my best to keep you guys updated!

i was recently promoted and i am now a trainer with dish network. we just hired a full class of Techs so the next month or two will be a bit busy for myself.

Valve floating is NOT related to the car speed... is related to the RPM's. They meant high engine speed (RPM's) not car speed MPH...

I ran my car to the redline every day with no problem at all... I can see that you would need stiffer springs if you were looking to increase the rev limit but you won't be able to run your engine higher than 6,400rpms unless you ditch the ECU and get a fully programmable stand alone ECU.

Is strange what happened to you... but then again... is not related to the speed...
The head on these late model toyotas usually flows pretty good and you won't gain nothing upgrading it... unless you attempt to run insane levels of boost...

But if your goals are only taking it to 12-15psi.... Con rods and lower comp pistons... that's what you need.
New fuel pump and larger injectors. Look for some 450-550cc and definitely a professional tune
Old 11-10-2009, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

good news is a found someone who wants to tune my car with a FIC system
any way.
i do want more boost! 15 would be a nice start.
where can i get Con rods and lower comp pistons?

and is that all i would need for 15 pounds of boost? that and a tune?
Old 11-11-2009, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

good news is a found someone who wants to tune my car with a FIC system
any way.
where can i get Con rods and lower comp pistons?

and is that all i would need for 15 pounds of boost? that and a tune?
You need more research into what you are doing. The way you are talking you seem to be just throwing your vehicle into the hands of another not knowing fully what all you need to do... Or what all needs to be done period...
Old 11-11-2009, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

?
no way our engine can handle that much powah. 12lbs tops and thats risking it. but prove me wrong lol
Old 11-11-2009, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

8-10 would be perfect in these cars But thats just me...

Quick Reply: Scion xD Boosting problems..