Notices
Scion xD Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Things We Know and Where We are Going

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

80%? Wow can't wait. I will probably be replicating ur project as a xmas gift to myself if it works out

Originally Posted by YELOSUB
Yes the stock tC injectors, 370cc, will fit...That's what Todd was going to use on mine for my turbo application...I got mine for sale in the classifieds if anyone needs them...I paid $100 from Todd but have them listed for $75 shipped...
Let me know if you still have em by Sept, I"ll be able to take em off ur hands by then
Old 08-13-2009, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I received the engine flange for the manifold from JSG today!! and the Bosch blow off...!

I got the Bosch valve brand new for $25 on ebay. German made and OE equipment of Turbo Audis/VW/Volvos. Good for up to 10psi of boost.

Now I'm on the look up for a caplable exhaust shop to weld together the manifold and make the downpipe.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

See I'm looking to do a remote set-up for now, just to get it going and see how it will work out. I just want to throw about 6lbs on it to see how the auto tranny will like it before I do something too much more.

I was looking at either a Garrett T2, or a Mitsu 13G or 14G (whichever I can find first)...
Old 08-14-2009, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

shoot, I'm more interested in the 2ZZ now than the turbo. NA FTW.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^nah...

I think the 2ZZ would be fun in a sub 2000lbs car (MR-S, Elise)

For every day driving and ultimate fun... force induction all the way!
Old 08-14-2009, 06:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A few parts...

The manifold is ready to cut and weld now. I'm taking it to a welder next week. The engine flange from JGS is first class!

Also received the by pass valve (bosch blow off) today.

Tial 38mm 0.5bar pring and garrett GT2554R also in the picture.

AEM FIC and TC injectors and TRD dogbone (roller stopper) don't want the turbo banging the firewall do I?

Name:  TSturbokit001.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  165.0 KB

Name:  TSturbokit002.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  101.0 KB
Old 08-14-2009, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

2zz sounds like a good option. more horsepower and higher top end. but it looks too complicated and the engine itself would cost more then a turbo kit. and it be kinda of a waste of my engine since its almost a yr and hasnt even hit 7k miles on it lol . Hopefully if this project is a success. castrex can make me one too lol jk but knowing what needs to be done such as what parts we need will due too lol
Old 08-14-2009, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The problem with the 2ZZ is that although it makes a good peak power number, it doesn't have much down low torque and the power band is really narrow and not very usable for every day driving. The 2ZZ makes its power above 7,000rpm. Below that there is not much going on...

That makes for a very sporty engine on a light car... (MR-S, Elise) but a sluggish engine on a heavier car... (Celica, Corolla, xD)

On the other hand the 2ZZ loves boost... and there is a ton of aftermarket suport for it.

But agree... it will be a very complicated and expensive swap. At least to perform in the US. In Puerto Rico things are a little different.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Hmmm... This question popped into my head today...

Will our MAF sensor be better suited for draw-thru reading or blow-thru reading?

AND! Castrex, is that a T3 or T3/T4 turbo you've got there?
Old 08-15-2009, 04:04 AM
SL Member

15.0 1/4 mile intake, exhaust, 96 mph no grip even with the tires at 12 psi, now will have better grip and more mods LOL stay tunned, believe me i am better off NA, when turbo i had to monitor too much the car and don't race with anybody, now it's different and the thing is with turbo you really will never finish, why? there's always new stuff for the parts and the consumer always wants more, in my 2zz i am very much performance parts wiser, not everything is worth buying and taking it slow for now.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^when you say you had grip problems was it just spinning or wheel hop?
Old 08-15-2009, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DeathMachine
Hmmm... This question popped into my head today...

Will our MAF sensor be better suited for draw-thru reading or blow-thru reading?

AND! Castrex, is that a T3 or T3/T4 turbo you've got there?
The MAF is a hotwire style... similar to many others in modern cars. As I said before... for low boost this should not be a concern...
For high boost, it probably would. Nothing beats a MAP set up.

For high boost there are SO many things that would have to be upgraded... fuel system would have to be converted to a regula return system just to mention one.
The MAF ideally has to go Pre- turbo... a post turbo placement would make tuning harder...

The turbo is a GT2554R. That's garret's smalles ball bearing turbo. very compact and good for up to 250hp. very quick spooling turbo... and by quick I mean supercharger quick.

I will however upgrade to a GT28RS if the project is succesfull... pretty much as fast as the gt25 but with a higher top end (should produce a little more power on this engine)
Old 08-15-2009, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nateson
^^when you say you had grip problems was it just spinning or wheel hop?
The TRD dog bone should help a great deal with wheel hop... if anyone is interested I can tell you were to get it in the US.

I haven't installed mine but that is the reason I bought it... even with the stock engine I've experienced wheel hop on heavy launches.

An L.S.D will come also after the turbo...
Old 08-15-2009, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by UnTouChbLe_D
15.0 1/4 mile intake, exhaust, 96 mph no grip even with the tires at 12 psi, now will have better grip and more mods LOL stay tunned, believe me i am better off NA, when turbo i had to monitor too much the car and don't race with anybody, now it's different and the thing is with turbo you really will never finish, why? there's always new stuff for the parts and the consumer always wants more, in my 2zz i am very much performance parts wiser, not everything is worth buying and taking it slow for now.
That's a good time!! Can you also post your turbo times so we can compare?

Also post what mods do you have now on the 2ZZ...

A 75hp nitrous shot would be REALLy fun on your new engine...! Probably low 14's time or better.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I feel the 2ZZ may be a bit peppier than one thinks. AND, there is a plethora of add-ons for that engine. unlike the xD's engine.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:14 AM
SL Member

the turbo xD was 14.2 1/4 mile will 17 rims yokohama advan tires 10 psi boost not tunned, 108 mph a street beast, i know the NOS kit is veerrry easy but want to really hit 200 hp at least at the wheels NA, my mec. has a yaris 2zz, and my friends have also 2 xA 2zz, a corolla CE 2007 turned into 2zz standard, and soon a yaris 2 doors 2zz, the yaris did with 60 nos 12.5 1/4 mile 110 mph now he is currently on another proyect, we know the engine will hold NOS, but too many people here on the island talk ____ about the engine and we want to hit the mark of a 2zz with 200 hp, i say it can be done and we will after that we think on going turbo because my car has a lot of space for a turbo and the xA's will be all motor just to have the team running on different categories, i will continue to update you all.

like always anything on the 2zr engine gone turbo feel free to ask!
Old 08-18-2009, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

14.2 is pretty nice! i think a good tuning would be able to crack 14 seconds, and have a surviving engine. even just to have it running at a smooth 6psi with a quick spooling turbo would be wonderful.

have any of you thought about installing the turbo a little lower than the exhaust manifold, since its so cramped? i havent looked under there in a while, but i think its a little roomier if you go about a foot after the manifold. i guess running the charge piping could be a little bit of an issue for down there?
Old 08-22-2009, 02:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a 14 sec. is extremly nice on the xd. Hopefully something comes up by spring. bump for updates =]
Old 08-24-2009, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by pickledchang
14.2 is pretty nice! i think a good tuning would be able to crack 14 seconds, and have a surviving engine. even just to have it running at a smooth 6psi with a quick spooling turbo would be wonderful.

have any of you thought about installing the turbo a little lower than the exhaust manifold, since its so cramped? i havent looked under there in a while, but i think its a little roomier if you go about a foot after the manifold. i guess running the charge piping could be a little bit of an issue for down there?
I have been considering this for a while now... it could make things much easier to work with...
Old 08-25-2009, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is enough space behind the motor to run a small (GT25/GT2 turbo using a log style manifold with a lower mounted turbo.

Running the turbo a little behind is what ZPI did back in the day with the Yaris.

Cons... you need to loose/ relocate the OE cat converter and you will also have some problems with the oil return...

Pros, you could use the OE exhaust manifold...

Quick Reply: Things We Know and Where We are Going