Notices
Scion xD Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Things We Know and Where We are Going

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

I know he got the injectors that I sold him...Hey Michael, any updates for us?
Old 10-09-2009, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Well. the smoke stopped 0.o
TC injectors do the trick tho, i had an fmu but if i got on the gas. the car would cut out at 4.000 rpm every time. but with the new injectors it runs all the way to the red!
its fast, has a boost leak fixed that. so its getting air now! (there was a hole burned into one of my Couplers. so i made a pipe from the turbo to the engine bay. the rubber couplers do not get along with the heat that close to the manifold.

Any way. i'm still not boosting. its faster for sure. but no boost. even tried my friends boost gauge. its running -2 when stepping on it but runs -11 when bypassing the turbo.

vacuum line leak perhaps? its been raining so i cant go play with it =/
my car does idle up and down when stopped. so i think its a vacuum line problem.

what do you guys think?
Old 10-09-2009, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by microbg
Well. the smoke stopped 0.o
TC injectors do the trick tho, i had an fmu but if i got on the gas. the car would cut out at 4.000 rpm every time. but with the new injectors it runs all the way to the red!
its fast, has a boost leak fixed that. so its getting air now! (there was a hole burned into one of my Couplers. so i made a pipe from the turbo to the engine bay. the rubber couplers do not get along with the heat that close to the manifold.

Any way. i'm still not boosting. its faster for sure. but no boost. even tried my friends boost gauge. its running -2 when stepping on it but runs -11 when bypassing the turbo.

vacuum line leak perhaps? its been raining so i cant go play with it =/
my car does idle up and down when stopped. so i think its a vacuum line problem.

what do you guys think?

How did you installed an FMU on this car???

Don't you need a fuel system with a return in order for the FMU to operate?

This car has a returnless fuel system.

How did you fixed the smoke problem? Did you installed the oil restrictor or the smoke went away by it own?
Old 10-10-2009, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

well what i believe happened with the smoke is, my turbo had to be mounted a bit low. and my oil was at the max fill point. smoke all the time. well the oil burned out and now shows a little below the half mark on the dip stick, still enough oil to be safe, but if i add any more. smoke... (tested that two days ago) so ill just fill it above the minim limit for now on, down fall. i'm scared of breaking the car so i'm checking my oil almost daily now.. but it seems to be fine!

and well fmu.
An fmu has an in, and an out. and a vacume hook up. cut the fuel line (fire wall between the engine and battery) gas from tank goes to the inlet. line to the engine goes to the out, nothing to it!

but that line is hell to play with. its plastic under the rubber coating.

and the Fuel regulater is in the gas tank...

FMU diagram
Old 10-14-2009, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

new problem.
no boost, why? waste gate bolt fell out. so it was only half way on. car.. for the first time.. is boosting great! no smoke, no back fire in the exhaust. just one problem.

when i got on it for the first time today, car wont pass 1 pound of boost. the ECU is shutting off the engine when it senses the boost. what do i need to do? get a bigger MAF sensor?

i have a working FMU. i have bigger spark plugs. and i have it running right. my turbo fanatic friend says its the MAF (mas airflow sensor) so im just looking for a second set of advice.

and if i swap it out, what cars MAF sensor should i get? scion tc?
Old 10-14-2009, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

new problem.
no boost, why? waste gate bolt fell out. so it was only half way on. car.. for the first time.. is boosting great! no smoke, no back fire in the exhaust. just one problem.

when i got on it for the first time today, car wont pass 1 pound of boost. the ECU is shutting off the engine when it senses the boost. what do i need to do? get a bigger MAF sensor?

i have a working FMU. i have bigger spark plugs. and i have it running right. my turbo fanatic friend says its the MAF (mas airflow sensor) so im just looking for a second set of advice.

and if i swap it out, what cars MAF sensor should i get? scion tc?
Hmm... Not sure how the other guy that turbo'd his xD did his, but maybe you should just move the MAF, make it a draw-thru instead of a blow-thru...
Old 10-15-2009, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

that's how it is currently set up. i have the MAF behind the air filter. so its befor the turbo.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

took it to a shop in houston, they said the ECU is safe to 10 pounds! i have a wide band Air/Fuel gauge. boost gauge. and oil pressure gauge. they said if i pass 10 then get a tune. the ecu will feed the correct amount of fuel/air bla bla. they said my engine can only handle 8 so run 6 and ill be fine (tuneless) if i upgrade the heads, ill be a safe 12 but dont pass that with out a tune. so bassically unless im a dumbass and turn my boost up ill be fine. if i get a tune they said it would cost 1.100$ and the only diffrence from the way it is now.. is they could govern it down to 7 psi so i dont blow it. so pay 1.100$ and limit myself. or use common sense and stay with a low boost for now?
to be honest im happy with my 6 pounds! ill change some stuff around later

and well what was my problem?
well its not a honda. its a scion. No FMU... so now i need to sell mine....
they are boost ready ish i guess?
so im running 6 pounds. and ran a 10 Flat at the track tonight 1/4th mile
Old 10-18-2009, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Sorry guys... 1/8 mile.. not 1/4.
All true tho, ill try and get some videos, im running again next weekend. tracks only open sat night in my town
and im in the optimal when boost kicks in, only running 6 pounds. i like safe

and well. yes! i took out the fmu and that was it, no problems, 6 pounds, runs great! i love it!

the guys i talked to in Houston were saying a tune is pointless for my car because,
1. you get a tune so you can run higher boost! (but our engine only takes 8 stock i guess)
2. they can govern in so it wont blow, but they said use common sense. stay at a low boost, and watch my wide band gauge. but if i really wanted to they could tune it. they could. but the recommended i change the tiny internals on the engine and dual spring the valves and simple things like that. but that's more $.
and i'm really happy with my 6 pounds and running 10's on a 1/8 mile (for now...)
my lowest was the 10 but i was in the 10 range all night. did 12's at first. figuring out the best shift points

all in all tho, MAF befor the turbo, running 6 pounds, car sounds like a beast, does surprisingly good burnouts, and its all running great, check engine light, due to my exhuast (no cat)

one con. the xd has a sad clutch (from start) so i have to take off slow to around 10 mph, Then floor it and go!
Old 10-19-2009, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh yea, all that work for the surprisingly awesome burnout.....
Old 11-08-2009, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

so the problems are resolved. but now i want to change some stuff out. i cant find any parts for our engine.. do they make any after market parts fir our engine?

i want at least a stronger head.. i want more boost!
and stronger pistons as well.

i know our head cant handle 8.

Last edited by microbg; 11-08-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so the problems are resolved. but now i want to change some stuff out. i cant find any parts for our engine.. do they make any after market parts fir our engine?

i want at least a stronger head.. i want more boost!
and stronger pistons as well.

i know our head cant handle 8.
No one makes internals for our engine.... sadly.

If you want to crank up the boost you will need forged con rods and a lower comp forged pistons. Those would be custom parts. CP/Crower can get them done... but it would be expensive and you will have to send them the OE parts to them or the detailed measurements.

The head is fine... lower comp pistons and forged rods and you can boost 15psi.
You will need to upgrade the fuel system (fuel pump and injectors) and get a tune to do that....