Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

New Owner, questions and concerns

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 12:14 AM

Default New Owner, questions and concerns

Hallo people. I just bought a 2008 xD and had some issues/questions:

1. Just got a car wash, and when I got it back, the center 2 vents stopped working. Don't know if some button was pressed or if this occurred before.

2. (Possibly related) When I first got the car, the left-most AC **** was very difficult to rotate from defrost to point-to-face. It seemed almost jammed and I had to force it more and more the closer to the left I turned. However today when I got in the car it moved smoothly and freely. I'm curious if I broke something internally that controls the direction of the airflow.

3. Right next to the gear shift (It's an automatic) there is a hole in the top-right corner with some white plastic peaking through that I seem to be able to press as it's springy. I'm under the impression the previous owner somehow broke off the button cap. What is this button for? Is it OverDrive? Would it be possible to purchase a new cap to replace it?

4. How good is the armrest everyone sells? It sounds kinda flimsy from the description, and I'd hate to lose the one cuprest I have in the back seat. Should I invest?

5. The iPhone adapter plug. What the hell? The previous owner didn't give me any cables, and I saw that I could purchase this online (sorta, I get mixed search results). Is it possible to get an adapter that fits this plug that has a USB slot (female) or micro usb (male)?

Any info GREATLY appreciated.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey from Texas, Hopefully I can help with your issues.

1. This sounds like you've adjusted some of the settings on where you want the air from your A/C vents to go through, maybe you set it on defrost where two of the main passenger vents are now directed towards the windshield, try checking that first.

2. I actually had issues with the center ****, that adjusted from outside air to inside air, if you look at the center dash piece, (after carefully removing it) I was able to see that the locking piece that held down the wires+round plastic deal was loose, I carefully zip tied that piece down. Before I just put it back and the piece that connected the wires together with the outward control would occasionally pop out, leaving me with no option between circulating the air inside my car (using up more gas from what I understand, and making it colder in the vehicle) to using the air outside to circulate my car. (bit confusing but let me know if you need me to elaborate on this)

3. Can't help you on this one, I drive a manual xD, so no idea what you're referring to. My guess is to find a local scion meet, and see if you can ask someone about that or look online for interior pictures to see what's wrong.

4. I personally have this one, (
Amazon Amazon
), I did put a screw into the base of it through the armrest to keep it in place and it's served me quite well over the (almost) 2 years that I've owned my xD. Plus it has extra storage, can't go wrong with that.

5. My xD didn't come with a cable either, I'd suggest getting a usb charger + aux cable and use that set up till it fails. I had issues keeping my aux cables to last me awhile and inevitably my aux port's now having its strike against me. Not working properly so I bought a ipod adapter cable online off ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-2010-20...r#ht_500wt_898) looked like that one, sadly though its quality isn't top notch but it serves it's purpose. I use it with the t1808 radio and it works flawlessly, just had to buy the scosche adapter to charge my ipod while using it. (http://compare.ebay.com/like/330604164763?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar) apparently newer iphones and ipods have issues charging while playing so you have to get an adapter for it..

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need me to clarify anything.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:47 AM

1. I didn't accidentally change the settings to something. The side vents blow. The center 2 do not. Something seems physically broken if this is not a feature.

2. I think you may be on to something. After further testing I realized the left-most dial no longer does ANYTHING anymore. As if it's completely disconnected. Your description (however) still is a bit confusing, but if I am understanding you correctly, I'm wondering if the back of the dial got caught on some cables and accidentally disconnected (or even broke) something. I would appreciate some elaboration, but I think I'm gonna have to open up the console and see what's going on.

3. I had a typo. Top-left corner there seems to be a hole for where a button used to go. I'll have to take it to a dealer or something if no one knows. Can anyone with an automatic take a picture of this?

4. I have been thinking up a design I might build that would not lose the cupholder and still provide ample armrest. I'll come back to this later though. I just feel like 1 bolt to secure an armrest sounds flimsy.

5. I don't own an iPod or iPhone. I have read about the charging problem though, and already have a USB charger hooked up to the lighter outlet. My main goal is to be able to use the steering console to control what music is playing, ergo my reasons for looking for a hack. Sounds like I would have to resort to looking at alternative head units to go about accomplishing this sort of thing. Will do more research if you guys don't know more.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1) This sounds a bit fishy, I would just take apart the center to see if theres any blockage. Not entirely sure I can help too much on that.

2) Okay so once you pull apart the center piece (it's very easy to do, just pull gently from the two sides of the top parts, where the vents are. Then pull gently on near the bottom and it should easily come apart, you should be able to look and see if the cables are locked into place near the emergency light/clock portion or not. I had to look around on here or scionxd.com for a DYI thing, google "Scion XD center console removal" that should help.
When I popped off the clock portion of the console, I switched the **** all the way to the left/or right, and then did the same for the wired control deal that fit underneath it and it matched up perfectly that way, I honestly think it's loose and is an easy fix if you have a small mirror and a flashlight. (not to mention small hands)

4) Lol there are so many cup holders in this car its unreal, remember you have the two near the legs of the driver/front passenger, one near the top of the right vent near the window controls are, and two in the back where the rear passenger's legs are. My arm rest actually has an awkward cup holder that can be either hidden or used, but its nearly useless since I can't easily access it without turning around. I remember my friend just got a big sonic route 44 cup and/or plastic version of it and used that to put his arm on. Either alternative might work. Trust me though, it makes a big difference to have something there.. lol.

5) Ahh that sucks, I understand what you're talking about. It's a bit hard to really find alot of technical information on this car let alone easy mods like that one, solely because this car isn't owned by alot of people so there isn't a huge variety of aftermarket parts and junk available.

Keep us updated on your progress!
Old 03-26-2012, 08:24 PM

I GOT IT FIXED!

For anyone curious, here's what happened:

1 & 2:
- AC Direction **** was jammed when I got it
- Forced it until it apparently broke something. Can't change direction, side vents blow, center doesn't
- Took it to a Toyota dealer (stupid mistake for a 2008 car) who checked it for 100$ in like 7 hours and told me it would cost 1600$ to repair as it involves remove the entire dashboard. Part would cost 35$ only.
- Took it to a stereo guy who had it fixed in 2 hours for only 150$!

3. As for the weird piece on the gear shift, I figured it out when I got into my coworker's scion. You didn't know what it was because it's only for automatics. It's a clutch override so that you can change gears without having the key in the ignition or engine on. It just has a really flimsy cover cap that doesn't stay attached. I'll have to buy a new one.

4. Every time I stretch my arms I try to lean on an armrest which isn't there. I think I need one lol.

5 I doubt I'll find USB proprietary hookup, but I'm going to research iPod to USB adapters. I am having trouble finding this part online but I may just buy it to have it.

Anywho, thanks for the help!
Old 05-06-2016, 09:10 PM

Default Question

In regards to number 1. What did he do to repair this? Same issue on my daughters car. How did he get in there to repair without removing the dash? Thank you!
Old 01-16-2024, 12:48 AM

My wife just got a 2009 XD and has rge same issue with the aircontrol ****. Local carshop could not fix it, said this is a dealer repair. Anuone has a better suggestion. I did see a repair on a Corrolla of the same year where they moved the blower motor over to get the space you need to get the part changed out. Can this be doneon the XD as well? Dealer wants top dollar for this issue. Any suggestions?