Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2008 xD wont start..

Old 03-25-2009, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

something is wrong with my autostart then, because as soon as i let go of the key, it stops cranking and sputters out. happens all the time when its cold. my wifes cobalt has this feature, so i know what its supposed to do, my xD DOES NOT do this. i do have a 5spd, and yes, i hold the clutch in the whole time. sounds like ill need to post a video of this. maybe ive got the same symptoms as some of the others, just not as bad.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by pickledchang
something is wrong with my autostart then, because as soon as i let go of the key, it stops cranking and sputters out. happens all the time when its cold. my wifes cobalt has this feature, so i know what its supposed to do, my xD DOES NOT do this. i do have a 5spd, and yes, i hold the clutch in the whole time. sounds like ill need to post a video of this. maybe ive got the same symptoms as some of the others, just not as bad.
I know its going to sound like a stupid question, but I ask just to be sure. When you have the clutch pedal pressed are you pedal to the metal? the switch is located behind the pedal and may not be fully engaged, I had start issues when I first got the car then I realized I wasn't holding the clutch all the way down because of the aftermarket floor mat I had in... the floor mat made it so the pedal would engage the switch to start but not enough for the autostart feature to work... If you are petal to the metal, and dont have any floormats etc. in the way, then yes there is something wrong...
Old 03-25-2009, 08:33 PM
SL Member

Hey, wow, there IS an autostart function on the ignition... my car just always starts up so quickly I hardly have time to release the key to notice it... I guess because I keep my xD inside a garage, even the cold winter temps don't really make it hard to start, so I never noticed this feature before... My main issue in starting the car is exactly as Pickled just said - not having the clutch down the whole way to the floor because of thick, aftermarket all-weather floormats, there's no leeway in that at all - but if it isn't all the way down, in my case the car doesn't even turn over...
Old 03-25-2009, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Default Re: 2008 xd wont start

Originally Posted by ssscamaro
Any one else have trouble with there xd not starting? first issue At 11000 miles last november it would crank and not start. Turn key it cranks continues to crank when you let off key ( was told toyota has "active cranking assist to help crank car until ther is spark?") Spent 5 days in shop. first they said it was bad fuel( bullxxxx) it had 200 miles on that tank so that was rather doubtful. Then they found problem with #4 coil which they replaced.
It was fine till this morning.
Same symtoms all over again at 19708 miles 4 months later. Sitting here waiting for tow.
This stinks as main reason i purchased this car was the "reliability". It is my 1st japanese car. I drive 30000 miles/year for work and was tired of killing my gm products. after driving the xd and seeing the mileage savings i was sold. Great car other than not starting.
Any input?
Thanks
Ryan

Check your ckp (crank sensor) ,If the plug is loose it will cause the car to act funny like this. One minute its running and the next it dies. Car needs this sensors input to start (RPM).
Old 03-26-2009, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know this is a stupid question but where is the crank sensor plug located? I have had an issue or two with starting as well...
Old 03-26-2009, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

IF your crank sensor was not plugged in, it wouldn't start ever. If there was a problem with the crank sensor, there would be a check engine light.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

back from dealer. of course when car got there 5 hour later it started but poorly and ran rough. no trouble codes set. i i tried starting engine 2x as opposed to 1st incident in november when i cranked it condsiderably longer and several times. This time around i let it crank for about 5 seconmds each try. A modern Fuel injected vehicle should satrt in abuot 2-5 crankshaft revolutions. If anyones car on here cranks more than that there is saomething not right.
id did try 2 keys but not on purpose and i do not believei t has a "vats" system (chip in key as was referd to here). even if it did it would be more clever than this and shut off fuel when cranking
By the way my car is an automatic. And when this cranking occurs there is fuel being delivered. 1st incident when i cranked it there was serious gas odor from tailpipe. This time i cranked considerably less. Washing down cylinder walls with fuel is not agood idea for a vehicle you hope to get 200k miles from!
They changed plugs do to fuel soak, changed oil do to fuel contamination ( I had just changed mobile 1 500 miles earlier love wasting money).
Having isssues with car is NOT acceptable to me. Bought for toyota reilablility now left wondering not if again but when!! I am way to busy of a proffesional to have this happen major inconvenience! Driving is part of my career.
The crank postioner idea is feesable. also my thinking is maybe atemp sensor or ecm out of whack at certain temp. weather conditions were similar in november as in march temp wise. Maybe incorrect signal to injectors causing flooding upon initial cranking. But you would think it would at leasts cough and sputter if that was case...
I will be back on here when (not if) it happens again.
Ryan
Old 03-27-2009, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ssscamaro
back from dealer. of course when car got there 5 hour later it started but poorly and ran rough. no trouble codes set. i i tried starting engine 2x as opposed to 1st incident in november when i cranked it condsiderably longer and several times. This time around i let it crank for about 5 seconmds each try. A modern Fuel injected vehicle should satrt in abuot 2-5 crankshaft revolutions. If anyones car on here cranks more than that there is saomething not right.
id did try 2 keys but not on purpose and i do not believei t has a "vats" system (chip in key as was referd to here). even if it did it would be more clever than this and shut off fuel when cranking
By the way my car is an automatic. And when this cranking occurs there is fuel being delivered. 1st incident when i cranked it there was serious gas odor from tailpipe. This time i cranked considerably less. Washing down cylinder walls with fuel is not agood idea for a vehicle you hope to get 200k miles from!
They changed plugs do to fuel soak, changed oil do to fuel contamination ( I had just changed mobile 1 500 miles earlier love wasting money).
Having isssues with car is NOT acceptable to me. Bought for toyota reilablility now left wondering not if again but when!! I am way to busy of a proffesional to have this happen major inconvenience! Driving is part of my career.
The crank postioner idea is feesable. also my thinking is maybe atemp sensor or ecm out of whack at certain temp. weather conditions were similar in november as in march temp wise. Maybe incorrect signal to injectors causing flooding upon initial cranking. But you would think it would at leasts cough and sputter if that was case...
I will be back on here when (not if) it happens again.
Ryan

sorta sounds like you got gypped somehow. there's no way it had that much wrong with it.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by JJGeneral1
sorta sounds like you got gypped somehow. there's no way it had that much wrong with it.
x2... And thy made you pay for all that? If thats the case I would go reiterate to them the definition of "warranty" and have them reimburse you for the cost...

But thats assuming they made you pay, the way you said it made it seem like they did.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:18 PM

My 2008 Scion xD has around 163000 miles and every 50 or so starts it will just decide not to start. Generally if I give it 15-30 minutes it'll be fine and start but sometimes I have to leave it overnight and it'll start in the morning. Has anyone else had a similar issue?
Old 01-21-2017, 04:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Since this old thread was revived, I'll add some info that I found. Looking around a bit, I found some mention of starting complaints on the 2008 and 2009 xD's. One site claimed that for no start or extended cranking, or throwing codes P0300-P0304 and/or P0015, updated powertrain control module (PCM) software is available to correct.

There was also a PCM update to supposedly help excessive oil consumption on the 2008 and 2009 1.8's.