Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Cheap performance, hear me out!

Old 09-09-2014, 01:52 AM

Default Cheap performance, hear me out!

Ok so my username is new and this will show as my first post but I've been here before under another name years ago when I started the Scikotic northern VA chapter and I've done some research and wanted to run it by the xd folks here.

I work for RRT racing in Dulles va, I mainly build and maintain bmw race cars, but lately with the closing of a few shops in our area our clientele has grown to more then guys with spec 3 and GTS cars, but lotus's or loti as we call them.

I did some researching after feeling the 1zz and 2zz's making gobs of power in these "loti", which its obvious cause its in a body that weighs nothing but still the heart of a tiny Toyota motor! That's when I started researching about the 2zr's, which before researching I didn't know it was actually ran in the matrix and vibe for a short time.... and the supercharged lotus exige. Which got me really thinking. I read on here people considering the 1zz and 2zz swaps, which expensive and not really price worthy. Spend the 6k to swap it to then supercharge it ect ect.... and the bill gets higher and higher, for what a old motor, and a little faster xd. Please. On paper the 2zr is a better motor.

So at the shop one of the owners has a lotus, with the 1zz, but was continuously having issues with irregular cam ware and causing drivability issues. I asked today where did we order the cams, (by now we've done a few from a local lotus dealer that has their own shop but yet still farm the work out to us, go figure) lotus or Toyota... answer Toyota, part numbers cross reference with lotus after some measurements from buying one set from lotus and the rest from Toyota. So no luck with maybe an easy cam swap.

But the matrix makes what, an extra 10hp then our de-tuned xd. So now what I'm looking into is if I can use a matrix/vibe ecu and make a few extra ponys. Why do it or try???? Cause if you see how cheap the ecu's for those cars are its somewhat worth it or a trip to the junkyard and pull one for a few bucks and give it a shot. obviously I would cross check ecu pinouts before putting power to the ecu or start the car.

What do the xd owners here think about this? Has anyone else thought about this or has someone already tried it?
Old 09-09-2014, 03:59 PM

*(crickets)*

Nothing huh. :/
Old 09-09-2014, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

it theoretically sounds like an okay idea. the biggest concern I would have is would everything still work the same inside. also, the xd is rated for 128hp with the 2zr, and the matrix with a 2zr is rated at only 132. that's only +4 hp, you can pick that up with some metal tubing and an air filter. you best bet is to try and find the Magnuson R900 supercharger from a 2012 elise and try to get the ecu too. that's a possible bump of nearly 100 hp
Old 09-10-2014, 12:21 AM

I def see your point there. I hate to ask this without searching but in theory a vvti controller could help, right?

also any of the short ram or CAI intakes are technically worse then the stock airbox with a good filter, or are you saying picking up extra air while using the stock airbox with metal piping???

next search is for the lotus parts, maybe one in a junkyard.....somewhere..
Old 09-10-2014, 02:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

when you start looking at vvti controller, you might as well just find someone and do a a full tune on the car. that way you can change the setup from economy to a performance based tune for a most powerful air/fuel ratio. but you would need a tuneable ecu, either it be a replacement of factory, or a separate stand alone. even if you did get a vvti controller, i think you would only see at most 10-15 hp, which is a lot when you look at base. those numbers alone can be achieved with a proper intake and exhaust system. a simple short ram with a decent cone filter at the end will help with air intake while minimizing turbulence, maybe a new intake manifold would help if you could fab one, or find aftermarket. exhaust will help too. a nice 2.25" system will help the engine work easier and make more power while still staying tight enough to create back pressure where needed so fuel economy doesn't hurt. a light weight flywheel, and lighter uncrank pulley can also help with responsiveness.

good luck finding a 2012+ elise in any junk yard. might be luck with copart.com, but you'll be paying 15k+ for a wrecked one.

i'm about due for a trans replacement, looking at the c59. ratio is aimed a little more towards performance rather then economy that the c50 in our car has. I'll be doing a short write up and before and after feel once I get it installed.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:49 AM

the intake/exhaust/tune might be a route I looked into as far as price and would be ridicules on my daily, Im building a e30 with a 5.0 turbo v8 swap which is draining my wallet so was hoping for a cheap little hp bump. I am how so ever going to look at the stock airbox and see if it can be modified. its sealed, last thing I wanna do is pay for a shiny tube and a cone filter which is open in the engine compartment and sucks in hot air. time for more research :/
Old 09-11-2014, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

there is a way to kind of help the hot air situation for the short ram. if you could get a plastic funnel to catch some cool air near the bottom billet on the front bumper, it might help catch some cooler temps. however, the stock air box already does a decent job at doing that.

sadly, parts are hard to find, most do DIY, and it's still kind of pricey.

nice move on the 5.0 turbo project. you going ford crate i assume. turbo ideas? trans, axle, and ratio you plan on using?
Old 09-11-2014, 10:09 PM

Yea I'm guessing diy is gonna be the move with the xd.

As far as the e30 5.0 turbo swap goes I've built a stock 88 roller cam H.O. mustang motor. Modified oil pan and pickup. Turned crank, skat forged rods, factory pistons, king bearings, stock heads, stock 303 cam. Trick flow valve spring kit, roller rockers. Using a holset h1c turbo, still not sure if it's gonna be a little much. 93 gt t5 trans. Custom drive shaft. Not sure about what rear ratio I'm going to use but gonna go with what I have which is a stock 3.83 lsd. All kinda a learning process so wel will see how it goes.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can we see some pictures of what you built so far.