Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Scion xd (2008) weed wacker sound in alternator

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 04:35 PM

Default Scion xd (2008) weed wacker sound in alternator

So my car sounds like a weed wacker sound has been added to the normal acceleration sound. The lube center says they believe it is the alternator. The car is running fine, no warning lights. Just this awful sound (grinding...?). They took the belt off to see if the sound went away which would indicate the problem is with... I can't remember at this point....the alternator? So the sound did go away. Though I didn't run it for long without the belt and it went away a couple times on its own while I was there revving the engine with the belt on. So they're like “it's definitely the alternator and we can install a new one for you." They're an oil change place, not a full mechanic place. “because it's me," they will do it (install a new alternator) for $410. If that doesn't make the noise go away, they'll “wash" the labor costs. Only charging me for the part I guess. The experiment they did with the belt was to save me the expense of going to their mechanic place where there are fancy computers that can diagnose stuff. Thoughts anyone? Specifically on the price quote but also on the engine symptoms and what I should do generally speaking. Disclaimer: I know squat about cars. I've only had a driver's license for less than five years. I'd like to learn more though. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like it's the water pump getting ready to go...Notorious for failing. Did you get it sorted out yet?