Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Scion xD reliability

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We have updated our reliability stats for the xD to include owner experiences through June 30, 2012.

With a reported repair frequency of 27 repair trips per 100 cars per year, the 2008 xD is better than average.

We'll have further updates in November and February. We'd love to provide more precise stats and cover more model years--just a matter of getting more owners involved.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Scion xD reliability ratings and comparisons
Old 11-12-2012, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No way these reports are accurate. Most people get sick of all the spam so they stop participating. Pretty sad that one out of four required repairs and that is better than average. I know the repair rate is much higher too.

Last edited by hobojon; 11-13-2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually, the participation rate is over 30 percent, and this includes people who joined as long ago as 2005. Other surveys have much lower response rates.

What's the source of your knowledge that these cars are unreliable? Last I checked, other results agree with ours.

We send no spam. We send email only to people who signed up to help with the survey. If you no longer want to help, it's very easy to unsubscribe. Or, if you'd actually like to help provide better information, it's also easy to get the car caught up (which would also eliminate the extra reminder emails).
Old 11-13-2012, 06:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mkaresh
Actually, the participation rate is over 30 percent, and this includes people who joined as long ago as 2005. Other surveys have much lower response rates.

What's the source of your knowledge that these cars are unreliable? Last I checked, other results agree with ours.

We send no spam. We send email only to people who signed up to help with the survey. If you no longer want to help, it's very easy to unsubscribe. Or, if you'd actually like to help provide better information, it's also easy to get the car caught up (which would also eliminate the extra reminder emails).
You dont think a one in four chance of a mechanical problem is bad? Thats terrible stats.....and i know its worse than that because mine has had three major mechanical problems that i didnt submit becuse i got sick of receiving all your emails. I literally received hundreds of them. And why would i want to weaken the resale value even more by reporting all the problems?
Old 11-13-2012, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The average is about 40 per 100. Most reported problems also happen to be minor. You have a sample size of one car, and three major mechanical problems is rare for all but the least reliable models.

I send the emails personally, and each one is a lot of work, so I'm very aware of how often I send them. General emails go out at most once per week. There will be just two this month, one for the survey and one for site news, and none at all next month.

Finally, consider that you're complaining about a problem you've tried to create. You haven't responded to the survey because you don't want the stat to reflect your personal experience, and now are complaining that the stat doesn't reflect your personal experience. You say the participation rate needs to be higher, but don't like the emails, each of which significantly improves the participation rate (otherwise I wouldn't send them).
Old 11-13-2012, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mkaresh
The average is about 40 per 100. Most reported problems also happen to be minor. You have a sample size of one car, and three major mechanical problems is rare for all but the least reliable models.

I send the emails personally, and each one is a lot of work, so I'm very aware of how often I send them. General emails go out at most once per week. There will be just two this month, one for the survey and one for site news, and none at all next month.

Finally, consider that you're complaining about a problem you've tried to create. You haven't responded to the survey because you don't want the stat to reflect your personal experience, and now are complaining that the stat doesn't reflect your personal experience. You say the participation rate needs to be higher, but don't like the emails, each of which significantly improves the participation rate (otherwise I wouldn't send them).
I guess i wasnt very clear, im not complaining about the accuracy of your survey. Since im a current owner of the car i dont care about your survey. Im already stuck with the car and i already know about its weaknesses.
And i did try to participate in your survey just for the greater good but your barrage of emails killed that quickly.
What i was complaining about was the scion xd and its mechanical issues. To me 1 in 4 is bad and i really doubt people take the time to report a minor issue like you suggest. Id be they are mostly major issues like no start, repetitive water pump replacements, emission component failures, etc
Old 11-13-2012, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're making some assumptions that are both unnecessary and invalid. We post all reported repairs to the site, so it's quite easy to see what people actually report. Plenty of relatively minor issues.

You've also got the causation backwards. The emails would only be more frequent than one a month if you didn't respond. You had to stop responding first, and even then I wouldn't characterize the frequency as a "barrage." I receive much more frequent emails from many forums.

This said, I do appreciate your earlier participation.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:03 AM
5 Year Member

Well so far the one we have is very reliable. No problems yet and it has 115k miles on it.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We have updated our reliability stats for the xD to include owner experiences through September 30, 2012.

With a reported repair frequency of 29 repair trips per 100 cars per year, the 2008 xD is better than average.

We'll have further updates in February and May. We'd love to provide more precise stats and cover more model years--just a matter of getting more owners involved!

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help:

Old 06-28-2013, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We've updated our reliability stats for the xD to include owner experiences through March 31, 2013.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:
2008 xD: 28, low

We'll have further updates in August and in November. To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information and cover all model years:

Old 09-22-2013, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We've updated our reliability stats for the xD to include owner experiences through June 30, 2013. (Another source is about 14 months behind.)

2008 xD: 20, low

We'll have further updates in November and February.

To view competitors' scores and descriptions of reported repairs, and to sign up to help:

Old 01-23-2014, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We've updated our reliability stats for the xD to include owner experiences through September 30, 2013.

2008 xD: 24, low, small sample size

We'll have further updates in February and in May. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Old 04-17-2014, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We've updated our reliability stats for the xD to include owner experiences through December 31, 2013.

2008 xD: 24, low

We'll have further updates in May and in August. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

To see the repairs behind these stats, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Old 07-21-2014, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Our reliability stats for the xD now include owner experiences through March 31, 2014, making them nearly a year ahead of other sources.

2008 xD: 33, low

Thank you, once again, everyone who has been helping. Next update in August.

For a deeper dive, including the stats for other cars and repair descriptions, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Old 10-24-2014, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We've updated our reliability stats for the xD to include owner experiences through June 30, 2014 (making them about 14 months ahead of some others).

2008 xD: 35, low

Next updates in November and in February. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

For repair descriptions, the stats of other cars, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Old 01-06-2015, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We've updated our reliability stats for the xD to include owner experiences through September 30, 2014.

2008 xD: 28, low, small sample size

Additional participants would be very helpful. (I'd love to be able to drop the disclaimers and cover all model years.)

To view the repairs behind these numbers, check the stats for other cars, and sign up to help improve this information (next update in February):

Old 02-18-2015, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default 114,000 miles

114 and some change only normal routine scheduled maintenance all done at my dealership - they give me 19$ oil changes and 15% off anything else - I like them alot always have. I have drivin it all the way to Seattle, Texas, Florida, and back home to Tennessee (Florida multiple times)... not a single issue.... best car I have ever owned.

2009 release series 2.0 auto
Old 02-25-2016, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We've updated our reliability stats for the xD to include owner experiences through September 30, 2015. Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008 xD: 17, low, small sample size

For the details, including repair descriptions, and to sign up to help improve this information--more cars are needed for all model years:

Old 04-02-2016, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

2009 scion xd rs 2.0

really nothing but oil changes maintenance wise @ 130k ( I did have the trans flush/tune up around 90k) and im about to have to replace the struts / shocks and exhaust is loud - but can really complain I love the car. Super reliable.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

2008 scion xD here, 95k miles and this is all I've done to the car so far,

3 sets of tires
3 batteries
4 ignition coils replaced, some cylinders have had their coils replaced more than once
2 water pumps (used a napa water pump, failed after a year)
1 a/c compressor
1 alternator replaced

Needs a new radiator, all of the engine mounts have to be replaced. Overall, the xD is not a reliable car, would have purchased a Honda Civic.

Quick Reply: Scion xD reliability