Notices
Scion xD Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Clicking noise when turning

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 03:36 PM

Question Clicking noise when turning

I have 2008 Scion XD, with 69k.

When Backing out of a parking space, right as I make the turn out in drive, theres a faint click click sound, almost sounds like a small rock hitting the undercarrige.

I checked in the wheel well of both front wheels and I saw a plastic covering that is pointing out towards the tire, not sure if that could be the culprit, I would think if it was it would make the noise around every turn.

This happens everytime wondering if anyone has any info on this, or is experiencing the same issue.

Thanks everyone.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Sounds like it might be a constant velocity "cv" joint going bad.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:37 AM

Thumbs down

I found this TSB kind of sounds like the issue,

TSB# S-SB-0018-11
Clunk Noise from Front Suspension
Service
Category
Suspension

Section
Front Suspension Market USA

Applicability
YEAR(S) MODEL(S) ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
2008 – 2011 xD
Introduction
Some 2008 – 2011 model year xD vehicles may exhibit a noise from the front area that is heard under acceleration/deceleration, when braking, or when driving over an uneven road surface. New front lower suspension arms, cross member, and No. 2 front lower suspension arm bolts are now
available to address this condition.

wondering what the cost of this would be.

guess I have to jack it up and take a look.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:20 PM

So I brought the XD into the dealer with the TSB, They told me that was the issue and they have updated the TSB since then,

The TSB states now that only the No. 2 front lower suspension arm bolts are supposed to be replaced, they priced me $236 for the repair.

I called Scion Corporate after I was at the dealer to make sure I was being priced right for the repair, he looked up my car and told me 420,000 cars have been affected with this issue, and now this particular issue is being covered by an extended 7yr, 100,000 mile warranty. The support rep checked my VIN and said my car was amongst the 420,000 cars affected.

So I have to call up the dealer tomorrow and give them the code CSPZTU (stands for Customer Service Program ZTU) which he said they can look up, they will then schedule a diagnostic for the car, if the it is the said problem the diagnostic and complete repair will be covered by scion.

Just updating this for the next guy with this issue. Hopefully this is my issue and it gets fixed.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I received a letter with that info in it as well. All the info about extending my warranty. I did hear (for the first time) a faint clunk when backing down and to the left on my sloped driveway. I am going to have them take a look during my next oil change.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:46 PM

Yeah, scion corporate said I should be recieving a letter in the mail about this.

It almost sounds like the car is bottoming out. but it usually happens when your going slow over uneven payment or speed bumps diagonally or while your turning.

I called the dealer this morning (to tell them that its cover under an extended warranty), they acted like I was full of crap, She told me she is going to have the tech check on this. I have to wait anyways because supposedly the bolts are backordered.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:33 PM

Following up with this..

I took it into the dealership to get it serviced last saturday for the bolts. I didnt fix the issue. I still have the noise.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hello, I'm having the same issue, and I can tell you that it will get worse over time. I used to only hear it when I made hard right turns, but now I hear it all the time. I took it into Toyota several times and they could never "duplicate" the issue. I just took it in today and they finally figured it out. It's the Strut Mounts, and they need to be replaced. They quoted me at a whopping $700+ for parts and labor.

So, my question is: how hard is this to do yourself?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4