Notices

Original tires finally going out... suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by inkblotter11
would you mind elaborating? i am particularly interested in extreme contact dw and dws. failures? flaws? other issues? thanks
Mileage and price were really the main ones. For the price of the Conti's you could get a Bridgestone or even a Michelin tire that would outperform the Conti's.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

REally?? The conti xtreme dw and dws go for like $100. what Bstone or Michelin tires with similar attributes, performance etc could outperform these Contis at that price?
Old 11-26-2011, 07:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

REally?? The conti xtreme dw and dws go for like $100. what Bstone or Michelin tires with similar attributes, performance etc could outperform these Contis at that price?
I took in an Acura RL today with two defective Extreme Contact DWS tires and they have maybe 10K miles on them. Also they do not have a large dealer network throughout the country so outside of the online market they are sometimes hard to find. As for other tires I would look at the the Bridgestone HP 550 and the BF GoodRich (made by Michelin) Advantage TA. If you can find some Michelin Hydroedges on sale they will probably outlast the car. Also Hankook makes an excellent tire but I'm not familiar with specific models.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looked on tirerack and no HP550's there. are they no longer made? also the Advantage TA's are touring performance. I was leaning more towards a performance oriented tire model, instead of comfort, all-season, etc.

Got any suggestions? since you said conti's weren't too good.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:29 PM

Me thinks I will go with a 215 55 16 Cooper cs4 or a falken sincera
Old 01-05-2012, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default If you want to stick with the recommended tire size...

The xD's wacky tire size almost confined me to Bridgestone, which came on the car and didn't make it past 27K, or Dunlop, which are fine so long as it never rains.

However, I discovered that Hankook makes a tire that fits. Since Hankook comes up pretty well on Consumer Reports, I opted for them.

The model is the Optimo H426. You'll find it here: http://www.hankooktireusa.com/Produc...um=2&FnCode=02

Look under Luxury Performance. Good luck getting them, though. Mine are on a boat waiting to cross the Pacific.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member

I know this thread may be a little old, but for others out there reading the forum for info i just wanted to say that I just got...

Falken Ziex ze-612
205/55/R16 91V

Even though I just put them on, they feel a bit better than the turanzas that were on there stock, and a bit quieter. I also like the fit a bit better as they don't look so much like pizza cutters.

I have high hopes that theses will be good tires as I am not well funded lol

G
Old 03-06-2012, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Postmaster_G
I know this thread may be a little old, but for others out there reading the forum for info i just wanted to say that I just got...

Falken Ziex ze-612
205/55/R16 91V

Even though I just put them on, they feel a bit better than the turanzas that were on there stock, and a bit quieter. I also like the fit a bit better as they don't look so much like pizza cutters.

I have high hopes that theses will be good tires as I am not well funded lol

G
These tires are meant to be a replacement for the 912 line which were good tires but usually burned up before the 40K miles.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:28 PM
XDC
5 Year Member
SL Member

I took the original Dulops off my 2012 XD at about 300 miles because they were rough riding, noisy, and dangerous in wet weather. I then put on 205/55/16 Goodyear ComforTred Tourings. The Goodyears were taken off after almost two thousand miles, because they are horrible on the freeway. They tramlined like crazy and were extremely squirmy from day one, and never improved. I had the ComforTred's checked twice at the tire shop for defects and out of balance issues, none were found. Now I have Yokohama YK580 in size 205/55/16 91H, and they are fantastic. I only have a few hundred miles on the Yokohama's, but they are so smooth and responsive it seems they are a great balance of sporty and comfort. I like the look and feel of the 205/55/16 on the XD, but for those who want to stay factory size 195/60/16 there is the new Yokohama Ascend that was recently introduced into the market.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool

Looked on tirerack and no HP550's there. are they no longer made? also the Advantage TA's are touring performance. I was leaning more towards a performance oriented tire model, instead of comfort, all-season, etc.

Got any suggestions? since you said conti's weren't too good.
I too work at a tire shop, and always was a firm believer in a Michelin pilot sport a/s plus (45,000 miles) probably the best ultra high performance all season tire that made, I would stay away from Bridgestone, unless you go with the Serenity if you go with there Potenza get ready for good grip (that will last 10-15 thousands)(but if you must go with the directional tire 960 or 970) and lots of road noise.
I have the DWS in a 215/50R17 and they have made me a believer, I am a pretty aggressive driver when i am alone and I can testify to there grip. I say if thats what you go with make sure you go somewhere where the warranty covers a lot and make sure they get rotated often...or if can result in tire failure or lose of performance. BOTTOM line....they best Tire brand in my opinion is Michelin...so if you go with that you wont go wrong I promise...OH yeah for our car, stay away from the hydroedge...you drop speed rating and that can increase your stopping distance.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just purchased a set of Hankook Optimo H727 205/55/16. My original tires have about 36K on them. I'm traveling right now so I won't have them installed until the middle of July. I just hope I made the right choice.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by two.0XD
I too work at a tire shop, and always was a firm believer in a Michelin pilot sport a/s plus (45,000 miles) probably the best ultra high performance all season tire that made.
+1
Definitely prefer Michelins whenever I can afford them.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm a huge fan of a do-it-all tire, the general gmax as-03's or the Kumho ecsta 4x (what I run) are both GREAT tires for the price. Plus, both are offering a $50 cash back special right now.

Can't beat an ultra high performance all season for an awesome price. :D

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=151

http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index.jsp?video=90
Old 09-09-2012, 05:09 AM
XDC
5 Year Member
SL Member

Now that I have close to 4,000 miles on the YK580's I can report that they are a great tire for my needs. They run smooth and quiet on the highway, and sporty and responsive around town. To me, the ride is very comfortable, I sometimes wish the sidewall were a little stiffer, but for 90%+ of my driving they are fantastic. I just put a set on my Mazda3 Skyactiv. Again, wonderful transformation in the handling and ride of that car, too. Both cars have 205/55/16 91H sizes. Yokohama has a winner with the YK580.
I am looking forward to getting some rain here, but it has been hot and dry forever. So I will update when it rains.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Question stock 2010 xD tires

Hey does anyone know the brand and model of the OE 2010 xD tires? I have have seen the size 195/60R16 everywhere but can never find out what the actual model is...
Old 10-24-2012, 03:25 AM

They are Dunlop Sport 5000s

I'm looking to buy new all season tires right now, and I was thinking about getting Hankook Ventus V4's ES H105. Does anyone have any experience with these?
Old 03-09-2013, 05:38 PM
XDC
5 Year Member
SL Member

I originally reported that I was very happy with the Yokohama YK580, but for the past few months the tires have been vibrating, gotten loud and pulling to the side. I have had them re-balanced many times, and they get rotated on schedule. The new alloy wheels I put on recently have not cured the problem at all, so I know it is not the old steelies causing the issues. I had Scion check out my brakes, and suspension at the recent 10,000 mile service, and everything checked out perfect (car is only about ten months old, so I hope so). Discount Tire did a Road Force Balance yesterday, and it seems to have made things worse. One of the techs said the tires are showing signs of cupping, the assistant manager says there are no signs of cupping...?. I am way past the 30 day buy and try period of swaping out for a different tire at no extra charge. So I will just ride it out for the next few years. I have spent enough on tires and wheels, I am done. No issues with the YK580's on my wifes Mazda at this point, and she has about the same mileage.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I now have 195/60/16 Hankook Optimo 426 tires and I have very please with the results so far. My car rides better than it did new with those cheap Bridgestone EL 400's.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got the hankook ventus 2, but i got the stock 17" tc rims. they were very grippy at first, lost some but are still grab better than the stock tires. Tread life has been amazing so far. You are more likely to have to get new tires from old age then wear. I've put about 20k on them and there is still quite a bit of tread left on them.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:14 AM
XDC
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought some new Pirelli Cinturato P7 All-Season Plus tires yesterday in size 215/55/16. I had no choice as one of the Yokohama's became increasingly unstable. It turns out it may have had a shifting belt, or something. I did a freeway run to Garden Grove and was extremely impressed with the P7 Plus'. The 215/55 look perfect on the XD. I want to give a shout out to Discount Tire on Melrose Drive in Vista, CA. The level of service there was second to none. They are awesome people.

Quick Reply: Original tires finally going out... suggestions?