Notices

TPMS Warning Light Getting You Down? Here's the Fix!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TPMS Warning Light Getting You Down? Here's the Fix!!!

Alright guys and gals,

If you're like me and switched to wheels that don't have TPMS sensors, or have a set of winter tires, or a sensor broke, etc, and you're staring at a stupid orange warning light, and you don't want to make a TPMS bomb, and you don't wanna pay the stealership an arm ad a leg for new TPMS sensors or to reprogram some...THE FIX IS IN!!! AND IT'S SUPER EASY!!! NO TOOLS REQUIRED...

The only thing you'll need to acquire is a 3.3K 1/4W resistor, which is literally pennies...

Okay, so here is what you need to do:

1) Remove the xD's lower glove box by pushing in the two tabs on either side once it's open, popping off the little plastic piston, detaching it and set it off to the side.
2) Locate the ECU, which is the little black box with a little white plug in it that can be seen once you remove the glove box.
3) Disconnect the white plug.
4) On the plug itself, use the resistor to complete the circuit from the 12V red wire to the orange wire (at least that's the color on my xD) and that will send the proper amount of voltage (~5V) to spoof the system into thinking that the TPMS is sending the correct info from the ECU.
5) You leave the plug disconnected from the ECU with the resistor going from the red wire to the orange wire, AND THAT'S IT!
6) Reattach your glove box.
7) Enjoy a dashboard free of that annoying tire warning light!

This info was culled from a variety of sources, but ultimately the RAV-4 forums was where I found the specifics. Wire colors vary from model to model, as I believe I read there that they had to jump blue to pink. Anyhow, YMMV...

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT RESPONSIBLE if you brick your ride. All modifications are done at your own risk. I am not a mechanic, a miracle worker, or a magician. All I know is that this worked for me and that I thought I would share.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 11-08-2016, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's the RAV-4 thread where I pulled the info from...
How to disable TPMS (How to turn off TPMS light) - Toyota RAV4 Forums
Old 11-10-2016, 10:20 PM

Thanks for the post...speaking of tpms i noticed when i leave my spare out it does not trigger the light, i'm ok with that.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:31 PM
Banned
SL Member

Are you sure about that 3.3kΩ resistor? Other post suggest different resistances.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DAlex
Are you sure about that 3.3kΩ resistor? Other post suggest different resistances.
It doesn't have to be exactly 3.3k, I don't believe. I'm no Electrical Engineer, either, but the key is to use a resistor that will drop the 12V power input down to ~5V.

That will trick the ECU into thinking that the TPMS sensors are acting correctly. I didn't have any 3.3k resistors on hand, but I did have some 1k's so I soldered them together, and that did the trick!

Hope it works out for you!