Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Front Door Lock Acuator Replacement: FAIL

Old 02-20-2011, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Front Door Lock Acuator Replacement: FAIL

Definitely not happy. Got the part or at least ordered part number 69120-52030 and this is what came.

Name:  actuator.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  68.6 KB

Not having any idea what it is supposed to look like, got to it today and took off the door panel

Name:  dooroff.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  112.4 KB

Couldn't find anything that remotely resembled this part in the door.

Name:  side.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  84.3 KB
Name:  closeup.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  141.4 KB

Put it all back together and for some odd reason the panel is not lining up properly, no matter what I did.

Any help would be appreciated and it looks like I have the wrong part, either I ordered the wrong part or the part sent was wrong.

Thanks all.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NYCxB
Definitely not happy. Got the part or at least ordered part number 69120-52030 and this is what came.

Not having any idea what it is supposed to look like, got to it today and took off the door panel

Couldn't find anything that remotely resembled this part in the door.

Put it all back together and for some odd reason the panel is not lining up properly, no matter what I did.

Any help would be appreciated and it looks like I have the wrong part, either I ordered the wrong part or the part sent was wrong.

Thanks all.

OK here goes, that bluish plastic , take it off.
follow the wire harness on the lower left that goes toward the door latch.
Find it? 2 small phillips head screws , if you look at the part you have ( yes it is the right one) you'll see two holes that is where the screws are.
Reach in side ( the screws will be point toward you, head facing away from you.

The part that goes bad is connected to the inside of the door. Your not that far off.
When replacing the inner door panel hook it onto the top of the door first , push toward hinge side , then align the clips and press them in.

Get back to me as soon as you are there.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the response. I've kind of given up and am going to get it into Scion this week.

I know it is stated there are 2 screws to get the door panel off, but there is a 3rd screw by the upper hinge that breaks when you pull off the door panel. It was not salvageable.

Furthermore, the door panel will not pop back on flush at all. Some of the plastic screws refuse to pop back in.

It is too dark to try it again today, but if I did, do I discard the blue plastic or do I need to glue it back on?
Old 02-21-2011, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes , Glue it back on. It is a vapor barrier and keeps rain water out of your door switch.

And it's really not hard, your almost there and it needs to be done by feel anyway.

And that upper "screw" that is plastic can be replaced by one you can get at an auto store. Broke mine , its just an expanding type push plug

And your wire harness is probably just keeping it from sitting flush , try moving it around a little
Old 02-21-2011, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What kind of glue would I need to get for the blue plastic? Will try adjusting the wire harness tomorrow to see if I can get it flush.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What kind of glue would I need to get for the blue plastic? Will try adjusting the wire harness tomorrow to see if I can get it flush.

Thanks for the advice.
I used the RTV , gasket glue , or maybe it was for an aquarium, rubber cement would work. Or you can just use tape to hold it on while you put the panel back up.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but there is a 3rd screw by the upper hinge that breaks when you pull off the door panel.
The "expanding fastener of doom" as Chris/Mandos calls it!

Take a phillips screwdriver and give it a 1/4 turn CCW. Grab it with your fingers and it pops out...for next time.

G/L with your repair...you are almost there! Don't give up or give the dealer your hard earned cash!

Robert
Old 02-22-2011, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I don't have to take off all the plastic, where in the door is this thing?

Thanks again.

Any idea where I can get another screw for the door? That one that pops out?

Originally Posted by frogbox
I used the RTV , gasket glue , or maybe it was for an aquarium, rubber cement would work. Or you can just use tape to hold it on while you put the panel back up.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by frogbox
Reach in side ( the screws will be point toward you, head facing away from you.

The part that goes bad is connected to the inside of the door.
Your not that far off.
^^

The expanding fastener is unfortunately a dealer item. You can get replacements at Lowe's hardware aisle (in the steel drawers) but they will be just ribbed press-in ones.

Robert
Old 02-22-2011, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I found " The Expanding Fastner of Doom" at O'Reilleys ( Kragen) auto parts in the help section , they got all kinds , just match it up.

You don't need to remove the whole plastic wrap , just the lower left to get access to the part.

And you are so close , the dealer will rape you with alot of labor , that you already did.

Hoping you got it fixed by now , been busy moving stuff 2 hours away( thats one-way) in the box. Only got 3 more loads to go.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The bottom hole? The top hole? Which one? Thanks again.
Name:  dooroff.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  112.4 KB
Old 02-22-2011, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Larger hole on the bottom. You see the wire harness ?Just above the big lower hole. That is connected to the part your replacing.

Hope that worked

Last edited by frogbox; 02-22-2011 at 03:26 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you ever get it installed?
Old 02-28-2011, 01:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

enquireing minds want to know
Old 02-28-2011, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry for no update. Here is what happened. After I went through the above process, befuddled by it all, was ready to take another attempt. Suddenly, and for no reason I can figure out, the original actuator started working.

I then tried to get the door panel flush again, taking the advice of Frogbox, but to no avail can I get this door panel popped in flush. I played with the wire harness to get it flush, but still no luck.

So, I have a spare actuator, a busted expanding fastener (that is the screw closest to the hinge) and a door panel that is not flush.

And so we are all clear the car is in LA, not in NYC, so I'm clueless as to why this actuator acted like gremlins were messing with it, although I had the same problem with driver's side passenger door last year and it cleared itself up somehow, again not due to any work being done on it.

Now I need to get a new expanding fastener and figure out how the heck to get the door panel flush again. Any ideas?

I might just have to bring it into the dealership and hope they won't charge me through the nose to get this flush and put in a new fastener. Would rather do it myself, but not up to messing it up any more than I have.

Sorry this didn't end as well as I had hoped, and thanks to all for the usual great advice which has always worked out far better than I managed this time around.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are the clips on the top of the door panel aligned properly?

It can't be too difficult.

And Autozone has the fasteners, I used them for my doors and for my front grill, they are in the little orange plastic packages on a swivel rack in most stores I've seen.

I have this actuator issue on my rear door, is it a different part #?

How much did you pay for it?
Old 03-01-2011, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How I put the door panel back on. Got it over the door lock, aligned it, then popped in the fasteners that are on the door panel with their respective holes.

The door panel pops in for all for a few that are lined up, but will not fully pop in leaving a 1" gap on the outer part of the door (furthest away from the hinges). The door handle you can see a slight gap.

Before putting the 2 screws in, tried to get the wire harness adjusted, but it appears it won't.

I don't know if the actuator for the front driver's door can be used on a rear door. Paid $103 all in (tax, shipping). Got the part from http://www.toyotapartszone.com/
Old 03-01-2011, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zman
Are the clips on the top of the door panel lined up properly?

It can't be too difficult.

And Autozone has the fasteners, I used them for my doors and for my front grill, they are in the little orange plastic packages on a swivel rack in most stores I've seen.

I have this actuator issue on my rear door, is it a different part #?

How much did you pay for it?
Yes for each door there is a separate part number check out
www.toyodiy.com will tell you part number and approx. cost from dealer

And NYCxB, just check all the clips , you may have one out of place, or it is catching on the shelf for the arm rest.
Make sure you get the top of the panel in first, start with it a little bit to the left side, hook over the top of the door, then slide forward ( right), drop the panel down towards door , check that the clips are alighned and press them in, do not smack it or you could bend the clips making your panel not sit flush, and them not catching the holes. Wish you were closer and I could install it for you in about 10 min.