Scion FR-S Forum - The Scion sport coupe

Official Scion FR-S Discussion Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 04:05 AM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Official Scion FR-S Discussion Thread

Putting this here until we get a sub-forum for it.

OFFICIAL RELEASE:

2013 Scion FR-S Brings the SPORT Back to the CAR
  • Compact rear-wheel drive sports car makes world debut
  • Low center of gravity and lightweight design achieves a “Pure Balance”
  • World’s first boxer engine to utilize Toyota’s D4-S direct and port injection system

Los Angeles – November 30, 2011 – Scion tonight unveiled its 2013 FR-S compact rear- wheel drive sports car to a crowd of eager car enthusiasts. The high-performance coupe is the fifth model to join the Scion family and will go on sale in the spring of 2012.
The FR-S, which stands for Front-engine, Rear-wheel drive, Sport; is Scion’s definition of an authentic rear-wheel-drive sports car with exceptionally balanced performance and handling, compelling style, flexible utility and surprising MPG.

“Serving as a laboratory for Toyota, Scion is always experimenting with new things,” said Jack Hollis, Scion vice president. “The brand is iconic with the xB, adrenalized by the tC, and groundbreaking with the iQ. The FR-S will no doubt serve as the halo car, expanding Scion into a new dimension of driving performance.”

The FR-S is a true “scion,” born into a lengthy history of Toyota performance cars and motorsports. The sports car is most inspired by the AE86 generation of the Corolla, better known as the Hachi-Roku, meaning “8-6” in Japanese. The front-engine, rear-wheel-drive coupe was lightweight and well balanced, making it a solid choice for driving enthusiasts.

Inspired by the AE86, the FR-S is designed around the core goal of achieving, “Pure Balance.” The balance begins with the strategic use of the world’s only flat boxer engine in a front-engine, rear-wheel drive configuration. The engine’s compact size and flat shape allow it to be mounted mid-ship and extremely low, giving the car a dynamically favorable front-to-rear weight ratio of 53:47 and a low center of gravity comparable to some exotic supercars.

The FR-S’s 2.0-liter, naturally aspirated four-cylinder engine is the result of a joint development between Toyota and Subaru. The partnership begins by combining Subaru’s newly developed horizontally opposed engine and Toyota’s cutting edge D-4S injection system that incorporates both direct and port injection. The D-4S system, partnered with a high 12.5:1 compression ratio, results in an impressive 200 horsepower and 151 pound-feet of torque.

“We all know that it’s not hard to make horsepower and torque, but it is hard to do all that and still achieve impressive fuel economy,” Hollis said. “The FR-S accomplishes all three.”

The flat-four mates with either a six-speed manual or a six-speed automatic transmission. The manual offers quick, precise shifts with a short-throw; while the automatic transmission features aggressive up shifts and sporty rev-matched down shifts that are initiated by steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters. Power is transferred to the pavement via a limited- slip differential.

The idea of “Pure Balance” is further realized by the FR-S’s lightweight design and compact size. The combination allows the car to be quick and nimble into and out of corners, with dynamic maneuverability and confident handling. The coupe’s weight is kept to a minimum by utilizing an aluminum hood, a solid roof, and by featuring a trunk design instead of a hatchback.

The FR-S’s low weight is matched with a dynamically tuned suspension setup consisting of MacPherson struts up front and a double wishbone system in the rear. Lightweight 17-inch alloy wheels and ventilated disc brakes are on all four corners.

The fierce exterior of the FR-S is a solid reflection of its inner power. The profile, inspired by the Toyota 2000GT, reveals a hood and roof-line that is remarkably sleek and low, giving it an aerodynamic shape that channels air cleanly over to the top. The low stance continues to exaggerate the coupe’s menacing face, which is made up of sharp lines, a wide mouth and angular headlights. The aggressive front fenders protrude upward and boast the iconic ‘86’ piston emblem, which highlights the car’s AE86 heritage as well as its unique new boxer engine. The rear fascia sits low and wide, with aerodynamic lower treatments that surround the sporty dual exhaust system. LEDs illuminate the edgy taillights, while center-mounted backup lights finish the muscular design.

The FR-S’s interior features a 2+2 seating configuration that is designed with both form and function in mind. The front seats are mounted extremely low and are comfortable yet assertive, while the rear seat folds down flat, creating flexible space. The large center-mounted tachometer is the focus of the three-gauge cluster, keeping the driver informed of the engine’s vitals. Speed is monitored by both digital and analog gauges.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Jon; 12-01-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Man I love the interior, but I'm still not sold on the exterior. I think I like the subaru brz more.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks pretty sweet. That automatic gear shifter looks awesome.

I wonder how much more than the tC it will be.

Glad to see Subaru and Toyota teaming up for a fun to drive car.
Honda really needs to step up their game if they want to compete in the fun to drive segment.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh wow interior is nice
Old 12-01-2011, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

love the front seats, door panels, gauges, front, side and top. Hate the tails, dash, "rear seat", and those god awful wheels...other than that lol
Old 12-01-2011, 05:48 AM
SL Member

Is anyone else getting an image of a BMW z4????
Old 12-01-2011, 05:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like it, give a whiteout version with matching interior.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:26 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Stole this off Jeremydoc's Facebook

Old 12-01-2011, 06:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

IDK...LOL

Maybe its just me "growing up;" but I still like my tC1.

You know: TFS is almost paid off and why get rid of something that is STILL driving like a champ even at 230k miles. Keep the payments to myself.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:38 AM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

stole this off my own facebook

its the Greddy tuned version

i was at the release party by the way...if anyone wants any Q's feel free to let me know...i'll have more photos uploaded later

its has also been pushed up to be for sale in Spring 2012 (instead of Summer)
Old 12-01-2011, 06:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just really wonder if those seats will be stock
Old 12-01-2011, 06:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn Im likin the looks of this. Only thing I dont like is the idea of having to deal with a direct injection fuel system. Makes it a royal pain in the ___ to push large amounts of fuel (think e85, 500+hp), youd need to end up converting to a standard multi-port setup and running a standalone. Also, hopefully this engine doesnt have the same weakness as the boxer's in the sti's - weak ring landings. (Funny the 2AZ has had similar issues, albeit at higher HP levels and usually caused by tuning issues). Even with the ring landing issue, E85 helps alot with lower combustion temps. So all in all, its really only the fuel system worrying me. But man, I love this car. Ill prob wait 3-4 years, try to find one with a blow motor, toss in a 2JZ-GTE and make it a 1000+hp monster Am I the only one that finds it sad that 10+ years later, were still reverting back to the 2JZ for a true high-hp-capable Toyota powerplant?
Old 12-01-2011, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by thendawg
Damn Im likin the looks of this. Only thing I dont like is the idea of having to deal with a direct injection fuel system. Makes it a royal pain in the ___ to push large amounts of fuel (think e85, 500+hp), youd need to end up converting to a standard multi-port setup and running a standalone. Also, hopefully this engine doesnt have the same weakness as the boxer's in the sti's - weak ring landings. (Funny the 2AZ has had similar issues, albeit at higher HP levels and usually caused by tuning issues). Even with the ring landing issue, E85 helps alot with lower combustion temps. So all in all, its really only the fuel system worrying me. But man, I love this car. Ill prob wait 3-4 years, try to find one with a blow motor, toss in a 2JZ-GTE and make it a 1000+hp monster Am I the only one that finds it sad that 10+ years later, were still reverting back to the 2JZ for a true high-hp-capable Toyota powerplant?
Don't know anything about the "weakness" thing but..
As far as putting a 2JZ in their.. I get the feeling if that were feasible they'd done something similar.. Something tells me if a 2JZ is put in there.. it will offset the balance of the car. They teamed with Subaru because of the size/shape of that engine.. Prolly would've cost way too much to engineer an entire other by just Toyota. I myself have done alot of talk about how this car could go for some more power.. but as if Scion were reading the forums in the release they state this...

“We all know that it’s not hard to make horsepower and torque, but it is hard to do all that and still achieve impressive fuel economy,” Hollis said. “The FR-S accomplishes all three.”

Its a very good answer. Nearly everyone wants good fuel economy.. not everyone wants buff engine bay. If you start off with poor fuel economy.. Good luck getting it significantly better.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

A lot of great engines of the 90s were ditched, not just the 2J, for more fuel efficient engines to meet gov't standards. What they should have done was improve it, rather than forgo it all together. BMW has kept their straight 6, for example, since the 30s.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

or you could always wait for the engine to die and go the lsx route in the future..
Old 12-01-2011, 02:52 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pwee08
i just really wonder if those seats will be stock
if ur talking about the black greddy version with the blue headliner...nope aftermarket

if ur talking about the red stock version with the red stitching...yes that is stock

all the photos of the red one Jon posted in the OP are exactly what it will look like when you buy it (depending on trim level of course)
Old 12-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Reading the thread on FT86Club, apparently the fenders are "pre-rolled"; no lip to fight with. And it's also most likely going to be 5x100. Not too happy about that, but at least if I order wheels for my 1G I can still use them on the FR-S.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:09 PM
SL Member

I must say this looks better than the concepts I have seen. Lets see how this pans out.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn this car lowered with some nice wheels is pure sex. If its under 25k im all about it.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:56 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jon
Reading the thread on FT86Club, apparently the fenders are "pre-rolled"; no lip to fight with. And it's also most likely going to be 5x100. Not too happy about that, but at least if I order wheels for my 1G I can still use them on the FR-S.
Originally Posted by JoeyC20
Damn this car lowered with some nice wheels is pure sex. If its under 25k im all about it.
what it can be is very interesting....but potential is true about almost every car

looking at as stock...i'm not very impressed with the tiny 17in rims and the huge fender gap....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official Scion FR-S Discussion Thread