Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Throttle Body Failure

Old 12-21-2008, 05:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Throttle Body Failure

Hey all,

I haven't posted on here in a long time, but wanted to check something out.

I have an 06 tc with 37k miles, completely stock, manual tranny, and well maintained by the dealer. Today I got on the freeway and did a moderate climb up to about 60-70 MPH. I merged two lanes to the left and felt a sudden loss of acceleration in my vehicle (a jolt). The gas remained unresponsive and I coasted it to an off ramp where it then died on the shoulder. I was unable to start the car anymore. Ignition was characterized by excessive choking or huge RPM spikes followed by a "stalling feeling".

I had it towed to the dealer and they have ordered a new throttle body for it. They say it's under warranty so it will be at no cost to me.

Has anyone had this kind of failure on their tc, especially one with lower miles? Can anyone mechanically inclined tell me what would cause a throttle body failure? I will talk to the dealer more on Monday when I get my loaner car, as today we kept playing phone tag, but for now it's just bothering me.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, i don't know exactly what the problem is, but a the tc has a drive by wire throttle system, which means that instead of the gas pedal pulling a cable to open and close the throttle body, a sensor reads how much you've pressed the gas pedal and opens the throttle accordingly allowing for more precise control and better gas mileage. so it could be something wrong in mechanism that opens and closes the throttle body. look at the bright side, at least it didn't stick WOT and ause in an accident
Old 12-21-2008, 05:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea, for sure. I'm glad I had enough momentum to clear a few lanes and to coast it to an offramp. Sucks though since you don't expect those things to go out on the vehicle so soon. I'm just glad it's under warranty because having a huge dealership bill during the holidays would be terrible.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah my dad has these damned floor mats that stick the gas to the floor and i damn near destroyed his truck today until i hit it in neutral.....then i just felt stupid because the truck was just going VRRRROOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.....for 2 min until i could get out and get that damned mat out...____ing kangaroos....
Old 12-21-2008, 06:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm... Never heard of that happening before...Like drax said we have DBW system so probably something with the sensor, or electrical happened

At least its all under warrenty
Old 12-21-2008, 07:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i recently had the same problem. it was actually a wire in a connector on the throttle body the came apart inside the insulator.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would almost guarantee its not the whole throttle body and it just the tps sensor, you would be surprised about those little effers haha lol. they dont fail nearly as often as a o2 or af sensor but they do fail!
Old 12-21-2008, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

i had the exact same thing happen to me while back. i went from 1st to 2nd gear and it just "shut off".. luckily i was able to just cruise it to a gas station around the corner. when i try to start the car back on it would rev up really high and just die out again. eventually after about an hr or so i was able to turn the car back on and drive it out to a toyota shop. they told me the same thing about the throttle body being stuck open. so they replaced it without any cost. its ok now. =)
Old 12-22-2008, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Interesting to hear that others have had the same issue. Maybe it's a design flaw. Hopefully I don't get any hassle throughout the process. I've been a long time customer of this dealer with two vehicles so hopefully it's smooth. I wonder what my loaner car will be (pictures a Corolla being rolled up to the front). yay hehe.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionce
SL Member

Its not a design flaw Camry's Honda's all do the same thing but you have to remember that humans built it so out of every 1000 made something has to be wrong with at least 1 and your that one but don't loose faith in your purchased product there are many more hiccups down the road for all "new cars" from all manufactures it is what it is though we wish are products would nerver fail us at least you came to a stop safely
Old 01-05-2009, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member

Wow... the exact same thing happened to me over the Christmas holiday. 2005 tC, ~46k miles, automatic transmission. Christmas day, I ran outside to move my car and it started with a bit of a shudder, then no response to the gas pedal. I could creep forward or backward at idle but no response to the gas pedal. After a few starts it would work. Eventually I had it go out while I was driving (thankfully on the way to the dealership by that point). My car isn't under warranty anymore so it's going to be a somewhat pricey repair.