Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Dash warning lights

Old 10-12-2006, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Dash warning lights

I have a slightly different issue than what's been covered here. A couple of days ago my VSC, ABS, TRAC OFF lights came on. Then they went off. They've been intermittent ever since. They seem to go on when going over 40 mph. The only thing I did was remove the passenger side door panel. The window switch is currently not connected. Could this be the cause? Maybe the electrical connection being interrupted? I have no clue.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I had an alternator problem that caused the VSC light to go off---so it might be tied to electrical. Most of the time it is either a loose gas cap or an intake problem.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just a quick update. The lights are now permanently on. I reconnected the passenger side window switches and reset the ECU following the steps in the tech section and it did not work. My next step is to try to clean the MAF and see if that works. Any other ideas?
Old 10-17-2006, 11:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Read this post for some ideas:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...&highlight=vsc

What mods to you have and when installed? If none--take into Toyota. Do you think you shorted anything when you worked on the door?
Old 10-17-2006, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the reference thread. I had already read that one and a few others I found after searching. As far as mods, I only have a short ram intake. It's been on for about a year. When I first put it on, I did not get any warning lights. The first time I got the warning lights was before the intake and the dealer told me it was due to a loose gas cap. I got it again way after installing the intake and did the ECU reset by removing the fuse in the engine compartment. Took care of it. Now they're on again. So far, nothing has worked. I'm going to try to clean the intake and filter next. Hopefully that will do it.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So last night I decided to remove my intake, clean the filter, and the MAF. I picked up the K&N recharge kit and electrical cleaner and went to town. After cleaning, I did notice a slight improvement in throttle response. The filter was really dirty so I guess that helped. The bad news, the freakin lights are still on. I did the ECU reset with the fuse and nothing. The lights are VSC, ABS, TRAC OFF. No engine light. Can someone tell me where the ABS sensors are? I guess I'll check those next.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:58 AM
5 Year Member

hey my check engine light turned on. i took it to scion and said it was my MAF. I wanna clean it but i dont know how to exactly. i heard you can use contact cleaner to clean it but i dont wanna mess it up even more. so does anyone know how to exactly clean the MAF
Old 10-20-2006, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll tell you what I did. I removed the intake and then unscrewd the MAF. You'll notice a tiny ball. That's not the actual sensor. The sensor is located inside the plastic piece. You'll notice two openings at the bottom. I went to Advanced Auto Parts and picked up a can of CRC electrical parts cleaner. I sprayed the heck out of the tiny bulb and inside the plastic piece where the sensor is. Let it dry and then re-install everything. I noticed a slight improvement in throttle response, but my dash lights are still on.

It's a little difficult to explain without pictures, but once you remove the MAF, you'll be able to figure it out.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member

thanks man