Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Oil Quality- Jiffy Lube

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Oil Quality- Jiffy Lube

ANyone might know what kind/type of oil Jiffy Lube uses? ..I have thought about using them after my 3 oil changes for my XB...Or should not?
Old 03-18-2005, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You have your choice of a few different types. Of course it costs wayy more for synthetic. Just ask. you can watch...they do use brand name stuff.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think he meant what bulk oil they use with the standard service. I believe it's Mobil but don't quote me on that. Suby's right, they will use bottled oil but at a premium price. When I used to go to them (before I had my tC), I always had them use Quaker State and it cost me like $5 extra.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

90% of Jiffy Lubes have contracts with Penzoil ... Just ask them what is in their bulk tank. If anything buy the oil off the shelf it might be a little more but you know what you are getting.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used to go to a place here in town called Lube Express for years, at a cost of about $32.00 Then one day as I was paying with my check card (as I always did) they mentioned tha there was a $1.00 processing fee added to my bill. Thinking it was something new I didn't say anything. I looked at my previous bills and for the past year they have been charging me $1.00 extra.

Long story short - Wal-Mart uses Pennzoil and they charge $13.87
Old 03-18-2005, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

****ATTENTION AND PLEASE READ MY TESTIMONIAL***

I have a "97" ford Taurus..when i got my car about a 1 1/2 ago i didnt know any thing about cars. So when it came to oil changes i went with a name i knew.. Jiffy Lube. Everything was fine for 2 or 3 changes and then i got my car serviced before a long trip. I packed my car and headed out 3 days after my oil change. Needless to say 10 miles into my trip on the highway my car starts smoking out the back...praying that it is just going to go away i keep driving but slower! Then smoke starts to fill my car and now i thinking i'm going to explode or something!!!

I pull over and check everything not thinking it was the oil change since well my car is old and its a Ford!! I see no leaks or anything hanging broken nothing . Finally i check the oil for kicks and notice it is RED...yes people i said RED . Now i know oil is black and i know that is not good and call me step father who could believe that they put tranny fluid in my oil tank!!!

Once it cooled down some and stopped smoking i drove it over to Jiffy Lube steaming as much as my car was . Told them my story and had it flushed and reinserted with new OIL morons. It gets better

2 weeks rolled by and now my check engine light comes on and i had the car for about 6 months with about 100k and no engine light previous this sh*t. Turns out my CAT converters (2) are shot, my O2 sensors are shot and my engine still smells like its burning left over oil ....come to find out the my oil pan gasket was blowen too.

Jiffy Lube

called corporate offices to get mess fixed which was a battle since they wanted to make sure that this caused my problems
That took 2 to 3 weeks and then finally sent me a check and had to pay about $2500 to fix everything!!!!!!

Now i do my own oil changes as you can understand and i have heard dozens other horror stories and will NEVER go back

Surprisingly the car 1 year since has run very well now with 125k on it but i figured i deserve a good and sporty car. Otherwise the Ford has run extremely well after that hell. Kind of sad to see it go!! But TC here i come....Jiffy Lube don't even look at my car

Consider this my warning all.....do it yourself or have the dealer do it
Old 03-18-2005, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So let me get this straight.

Jiffy Lube put tranny fluid in your engine!

Gotta stop, my ribs hurt.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Are you sure it wasn't the coloring in that Pennzoil crap? I don't like their stuff.

When i worked at a Jeep dealer, we had a lady come in for some work. The tech noticed that the dipstick was missing. We asked the lady about it, she said she had literally just come from Jippy Lube. We call them up and tell them they better bring her dipstick down ASAP. A little bit later, here comes the lube shop lackey with, I kid you not, a handful of 8-10 dipsticks. They had obviously done this more than once and they couldn't tell which one was hers. The tech picked it out of the handful and we just stood there flabbergasted.

I was badly in need of getting the oil changed in my old toyota P/U, so I ignored my better judgement and went to WalMart since they were the only once open that late. Got the truck back, drove home and as I slowed to enter my driveway, I see a bunch of smoke rise up around the front of the car. I get out and theres a puddle of oil in the gutter and smoke coming off the exhaust pipe up near the engine. Took it to the local guys the next day. The high-paid geniuses at WalMart used a oil filter wrench to put the filter ON!!! It had punched a hole in the side and the oil was leaking out and pooling up in the frame rail and when I slowed, it all ran forward and flowed onto the exhaust. I had even looked under the car (standard practice) and saw no leaks, but that's cuz it was pooling up above. The local lube place replaced the filter, topped off the oil and cleaned off the spilled oil, AT NO CHARGE TO ME, and it wasn't even their mistake. Needless to say, I take all my cars there now. Even tho i trust them, I still listen to them do their checklist and make sure everything is back in place.

There's a reason these places can charge less - cheaper, less skilled labor... BEWARE!!!
Old 03-18-2005, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Places like Jiffy Lube generally tighten the drain bolt to about 150 ft-lbs. Do your own oil changes or take it to the dealer.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The Jiffy Lube store that i took it took actually admitted that they made the mistake and that i was not the only car.....Apparently a MANAGER put the wrong top on a tranny barrel....since high mileage oil and tranny oil come in a yellow barrel no one read the damn barrel just the top and it said high mile oil.....needless to say 10-20 cars got crapped on the day too.. Their addmittance was key to my getting money from them too!!!
Old 03-18-2005, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Fsu1dolfan
The Jiffy Lube store that i took it took actually admitted that they made the mistake and that i was not the only car.....Apparently a MANAGER put the wrong top on a tranny barrel....since high mileage oil and tranny oil come in a yellow barrel no one read the damn barrel just the top and it said high mile oil.....needless to say 10-20 cars got crapped on the day too.. Their addmittance was key to my getting money from them too!!!
Okay, here's the part I don't get. When you go to a Jiffy Lube, they put you in their database. They have your name, address, phone number and car info. As soon as they realized what they did with that barrel mixup, they should have called you and everyone who got that "oil" that day.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I don't think they wanted to deal with it until it was a problem or they didnt know and i was the first person that told them after 3 days of potential victims!!! Remember i had it like that for 3 days before i even knew because you engine can run off of the tranny fluid under small doses but i was cruising on the highway at 85-90 for good 10-20 minutes before problems happened...i am assuming and hoping they alerted other people!!
Old 03-19-2005, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wouldn't waste my time at any of those jiffy lubes, uncle ed's or any of those places.. i would take it to the dealer, it's under warranty, at least if they screw it up, you can talk to scion about it.. and have some sort of recourse.. and yes the comment about the over tightening of the oil plug, you can guarantee it! don't take it there, take it to a decent dealer.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yeah the dealer or doing it yourself is the best way to go!!!
The quick lube, jiffy lube, crap places don't care about your car....quick in and quick out to get more money thats all!!!
Old 03-27-2005, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Bulk oil is crap!. Even if you use a Jiffy Lube bring your own oil and filter and watch them do it..That is what I do sometimes
Old 04-05-2005, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oil is oil, Jiffy does use Penzoil. You could use Cheap oil from the local parts store, as long as you change it regularly you should be fine. Mistakes could happen anywhere even at the dealer. I personally don't like taking my cars there since it could be the same guy that just got fired from Jiffy Lube. Incase there is a mistake, you want to be somewhere that will take care of the problem. I use to put tranny oil in my motor to flush it prior to every other oil change in my GSX. Just add 1qt with the old oil, run it for a couple minutes & then change it. My oil always had that nice golden color.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In my area Jiffy lube does good work but once in a while they screw up. When my parents used to own a Infiniti q45 they took it to jiffy lube for an oil change. And we got that oil change. But when we got the car back the engine light was on. Before taking it in it wasn't on. They refused to take responsibility for their actions. It turns out that while they were changing the oil, one of the mechanics dropped a tool down the engine somewhere and it hit a switch. So we took the car to the dealer to get the light out and cost us 89 dollars. But that was the only problem we have had. Other than that they like to call my mom's murano and dad's highlander "Exotic" vehicles and charge us 35 for an oil change and car wash. So we now take it down the street to another place and get an oil change and car wash for 25. I wonder what they call a lexus.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member

Once my three free oil changes are up I plan on doing my oil changes by myself. Its not hard anyway. One question though - where is the oil filter at on the Tc....I haven't taken the time to look for it yet.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You have to be careful no matter where you go to get the oil change done. A friend took his Tacoma to the local dealer and got home before he checked the oil himself. None showed on the dipstick. He removed the drainplug and 1-1/2 quarts of oil came out. He called the service manager and was told "Oh, the dial on the dispenser must have slipped again." Again!

He goes to an independent mechanic now. When I went in for my 3 free oil changes the mechanic was annoyed that I checked the oil myself before driving off, but if they take such a laid-back attitude toward potential engine damage you have to check it yourself!

George
Old 04-06-2005, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by BOXED N
Oil is oil, Jiffy does use Penzoil. You could use Cheap oil from the local parts store, as long as you change it regularly you should be fine. Mistakes could happen anywhere even at the dealer. I personally don't like taking my cars there since it could be the same guy that just got fired from Jiffy Lube. Incase there is a mistake, you want to be somewhere that will take care of the problem. I use to put tranny oil in my motor to flush it prior to every other oil change in my GSX. Just add 1qt with the old oil, run it for a couple minutes & then change it. My oil always had that nice golden color.
Now that is a foolish statement since there is tons of info stating your position is wrong..and none backing it up....I owned a GSX with a 20g and no way would I have trusted it to Dino oil

Quick Reply: Oil Quality- Jiffy Lube