Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Rostra cruise control install questions

Old 04-22-2009, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Rostra cruise control install questions

So, I got my Rostra cruise control today, and I've read the instructions several times, and seached here repeatedly:

1) Just how do you get the two 4-pin connectors on the wiring harness through the firewall grommet? I had a heck of a time getting my amp power wire through (the stupid strut-tower bar doesn't help things, either).

2) Since the diagram in the manual is unbelievably bad, how is the clutch switch mounted? A picture of it installed would work wonders for this.

Beyond that, the install seems like it will be fairly straightforward, even if it means I'll have to unbolt the driver's seat and lay upside down in the car for an afternoon.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-22-2009, 01:27 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its pretty straight forward when you get going i've done mine last year it was fairly simple
Old 04-22-2009, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Revolt Imports
DeepSouth Scions

I don't have a picture of mine, but it's fairly easy. For the clutch switch, there is a bolt that stops the clutch pedal from moving any farther up when you take your foot off of it. You remove that bolt and mount the switch in its place, so that it is pushed in when your foot is off the clutch. Hope that's clear enough... If not I can try to get a picture of mine.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Cruise control installed!

Originally Posted by Malaclypse
I don't have a picture of mine, but it's fairly easy. For the clutch switch, there is a bolt that stops the clutch pedal from moving any farther up when you take your foot off of it. You remove that bolt and mount the switch in its place, so that it is pushed in when your foot is off the clutch. Hope that's clear enough... If not I can try to get a picture of mine.
That bit of advice helped a lot. It's perfectly logical, but not entirely obvious from the instructions.

I spent an even three hours installing the CC, and it went pretty smoothly.

I learned a few lessons, which I hope show up if anyone else searches for info on this matter:

-Taking off the upper grille helped a lot, and gave me a lot more room to work around the throttle body.

-Having a strut bar is a huge PITA. I hate that thing.

-Taking out the driver's seat is a huge help in getting around under the dash. Plus, it's funny that the car feels like it's the size of a barn with that seat out.

-Inside the car, there's just barely enough room to get the clutch switch threaded. I'd have had an easier time if I had an extra set of hands to pull back the wiring harness a fraction of an inch.

-I gave myself all day. I don't have to be anywhere today, and the weather's great, so I wasn't in a rush, and had time to do everything right.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:15 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i did my install in winter talk about cold and my car was outside too...
Old 06-17-2011, 11:14 AM

How did you all get through Step #8--the power connection, I have a 2005 scion xb and have no idea how to find the Pin#6 wire for the 1N connection--is there any way just to come off the cigarette lighter for power?
Old 06-17-2011, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mreeves
...-is there any way just to come off the cigarette lighter for power?

That is exactly what I did when I installed mine two years ago. I just spliced into the appropriate wire coming off the lighter socket in my xA.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:05 PM

Default Rosta Cruise control

thanks for the reply frbl. Off the top of your head, do you know which is the hot wire for the cigarette lighter?
Old 06-17-2011, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I KNEW you were going to ask me that! ;^)

Unfortunately, my aging brain doesn't remember clearly from two years ago. But using a multimeter at the wire connections on the lighter socket you should be able to figure it out quickly. In fact, anyone here who regularly works with lighter sockets/power sources on cars should be able to give a quick answer.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://scionlife.org/Scion_Docs/2004...owerOutlet.pdf
Old 06-18-2011, 07:08 PM

Default power supply for rosta cruise control

I ended up purchasing an add-a-circuit fuse that could just be plugged into the fuse box--the was so much easier and only cost a couple of bucks! Thanks for the help--just took it for a drive and the cruise control worked great!
Old 06-18-2011, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did that (add-a-circuit fuse) when I put in an aftermarket remote lock. I wish I had done it for the cruise control.

Enjoy the cruise control. It was the best investment for the car I have made considering the amount of highway travel I do.

BTW, on early versions guys complained about wide speed variation, espcially going up and down hills. It was solved via micro switch settings inside the box. I think they set it correctly from the factory now, but if you see this (as much as 10mph differences) you might want to check into it either via searches here or elsewhere on Google or even call Rostra directly.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just wanted to post to thank everyone for their information. I ordered the cruise control on Sunday night, received it yesterday, and it is now in my 2006 xA. It was not too difficult. Works fine, but I haven't taken it on a long trip yet. That comes on Saturday.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:16 PM

Default Car wont start after installing cruise control

Hey, so I am sure I made some silly mistake, but after i got the rostra cruise control installed for my 2005 scion xA, my car wont start. I feel like i installed the system correctly, but obviously something went wrong. The battery seems fine and the dash and stereo will light up but the engine wont even try to turn over at all.
Old 12-02-2022, 10:20 AM

I installed this on my 2004 xB today. Couple of things that might help others.

1) Instructions photos are really poor quality, double check the ground is in the correct location, which is the bolt with the other grounds below the strut tower.

2) Second, don't tap into the wire suggested for the power (next to impossible anyways), do as others here say and get an extended tip add-a-fuse. I put the fuse in the empty slot above the ACC, but that didn't give me any power so i added another 15amp fuse and put it with the ACC slot. It worked, green light lit up on the control stalk.

3) When inserting the cruise control stalk wires into the white connector piece, the instructions are really poor on which order they go. Pull the other side of the connections and line them up before you press them so all the color wires line up, ask me how i know. 50-50 shot right? i managed to be 0 for 2 with both the 4 wire connector and 2 wire connector. Not terribly difficult to back out if you have a tiny pick tool, but probably really hard if you don't.

Overall works alright, similar to my 1992 honda civic factory cruise, has a lag so the mph will drop 5mph or so, but picks speed back up. I'll see if there is a way to play with the throttle cable to reduce the slack.
Old 08-13-2023, 02:58 PM

New user here. I am trying to install the Rostra 250-1755 in my son's 2006 xA. I've got all the underhood stuff done, now I'm at step 6: Brake Switch connection. It says to disconnect the brake switch harness from the brake switch, then plug the 2 ends of the Rostra harness into each end. Unfortunately, I can't find any connector that matches the 2 connectors on the Rostra harness. Did I get the wrong unit? Or am I just not looking hard enough? A picture of where the connector is located instead of a crude drawing would be helpful!

Thanks!
Roger

NEVERMIND! I’m an idiot. I figured it out.

Last edited by thebark; 08-13-2023 at 03:36 PM.