Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

The Dreaded P0012 code...

Old 01-19-2011, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default The Dreaded P0012 code...

Hey Guys,

Before you tell me to Search, I have, and read every thread on the subject. I still have a few questions though. Please read on.

2006 Scion xB, manual trans, around 79k miles. The VIN falls into the TSB numbers, I've owned this car since new. I'm way out of the warranty mileage to fix it for free though.

So I get the P0012 Code, (Camshaft Position Sensor), and I buy and replace the sensor. The code went away, but a week later to the day, it's back on.

The CEL now and before, will come on about once a week, and sometimes it cancels itself out within hours of coming on, sometimes it doesn't.

The car runs great, no sluggishness, idles great, same MPG.

Here's the questions:

Those of you that HAVE had the TSB performed, did the car show any signs of running bad?

Have any of you fixed it by replacing or cleaning the OCV? (Oil Control Valve).

I've also heard of some people putting up enough stink at the dealership to where they paid for the labor, but the dealership paid for the parts. Has anybody done this with success?

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-26-2021 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Year Badge
Old 01-21-2011, 12:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nobody, huh?
Old 01-21-2011, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just to clarify: P0012 means: Camshaft Position "A" - Timing Over-Retarded. This code is not an indication of a bad camshaft position sensor. For that we have P0340.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Reactor
Just to clarify: P0012 means: Camshaft Position "A" - Timing Over-Retarded. This code is not an indication of a bad camshaft position sensor. For that we have P0340.

Thanks, but I am no longer thinking its the CPS. I'm trying to get information from people who have had problems with the Camshaft Timing Gear, which was defective in the late 05 early 06 cars, and there was a Service Bulletin put out on it.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you don't have any kind of powertrain warranty then may be try taking the Control Valve out and inspect it for possible restriction. Same goes for the filtering screen behind it.
Some pics and details of the system here: http://www.clubxb.com/forums/f28/p00...bly-29812.html
Is that the TSB? http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/sn...23_xa_code.pdf
Old 01-21-2011, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you don't have any kind of powertrain warranty then may be try taking the Control Valve out and inspect it for possible restriction. Same goes for the filtering screen behind it.
Some pics and details of the system here: http://www.clubxb.com/forums/f28/p00...bly-29812.html
Is that the TSB? http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/sn...23_xa_code.pdf

Thanks for the ClubXB link, haven't seen that one before... yeah that's the TSB I'm talking about.

BTW, I was looking at the Control Valve, and can't seem to figure out how to get it off of the block? THere seems to be some sort of cage around it or something... I didn't take too much time in inspecting it, I was in a hurry the other day.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One screw is holding it to the cyl head. Usually you will have to pull pretty hard for the valve to come out. You'll need to have the new o ring ready since it's not reusable.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One screw is holding it to the cyl head. Usually you will have to pull pretty hard for the valve to come out. You'll need to have the new o ring ready since it's not reusable.
Alright, thanks for the heads up. BTW, do you have a part number on this O-Ring or can I just match it up at Lowes or something?
Old 01-21-2011, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd just get it from the dealer. Can't be more than couple $.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I had mine replaced at about 30,000 miles. When it was acting up it was down on power like some of the cylinders were being cut off.
Reset the ECU and would run fine for a couple of days, but always came back until it was replaced.

Haven't had any problems with the new one and I'm at 155,000 miles now on my 05.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-26-2021 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Year Badge
Old 04-17-2011, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm in the same position. I also through the dreaded
P0012 Code. How did you fix this problem?
What's my first step to figuring out what's wrong.
I reset the code before I drove home and it hasn't come back yet.

What would I fix or replace? Thanks.

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-26-2021 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Year Badge
Old 04-17-2011, 04:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey I wanna know something, and i guess it's kinda unrelated so sorry to derail. i was reading about this thread, and saw camshaft position sensor though i know it's been noted that his code did not clarify a camshaft position sensor, but i was wondering. i own a 2000 F350 diesel it's the 7.3 motor which was the last good one, and before that i had a 97 F350 i bought brand new that i had for 10 years. it's a very known problem that those motors have problems with the cam sensor. it's not hard to do on those trucks, because I've done them before, but when the cam sensor goes on those trucks they usually won't run.

Now my mother's 02 Taurus had one go think, and I don't think she's fixed it. in fact it's been bad for years, and her car still runs, and it seems the Scion's still run fine with those defective. on the diesels or at least the 7.3 it just stops out of nowhere, and will usually stall. does anyone know why this is? is that just the huge difference between a diesel, and gas motor?

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-26-2021 at 07:24 AM.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine still isnt fixed. The code will get thrown every now and then, and I just reset it by pulling the EFI fuse for a minute. It hasnt affected the running of the engine, or MPG... so for now, until I can afford to take it in.... screw it, lol.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Clearing the P0012 Code (Not Recommended)

I've been dealing with the dreaded P0012 Code on my 96' xA since 2010 shortly after I purchased it used with a salvage title. The car ran fine and if I was in the mood I would clear the check engine light with a code reader I purchased at Pep Boys. I also noticed that every so often the check engine light would go out for a day or two and then return. I tried some suggestions mentioned on this forum short of taking into the dealer as I wasn't in the mood to spend over $1500 on a perfectly good running car

A few weeks ago while traveling down a local interstate at about 75 mph an SUV almost ran me off the road. In trying to avoid this idiot I down shifted, intending to go into 4th gear but threw the car in 2nd gear!!!

After my eyeballs returned to their eye sockets I immediately looked at my tach - not at red line but it was close. I continued to drive along (after placing the vehicle into 5th gear) performing an assessment of what I just did thankfully realizing that I didn't blow up my car!!

Later that day I noticed the check engine light went out and it stayed out for 3 days. On the 4th day I put my trusty code reader to it and it did show the P0012 Code which I cleared. I drove 150 miles the following day - no code, no light! It's been about 10 days now and all is well (knock on wood). I don't recommend this as a fix but thought I would share it with all you P0012 sufferers! Don't know what I fixed (or broke) but any and all comments welcomed!

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-20-2021 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Year Badge
Old 04-10-2014, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Well folks - over two years since my last post. Eventually my check engine light came on so back to "normal."

About a month ago I was tightening my alternator belt when I snapped off the connector on the camshaft position sensor actuator. I had previously checked this and it checked good. Ordered a new one and no more light, no more P0012. Just had to share, maybe this will help someone else still dealing with this.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member

Hey guys I've been doing some reading and I had a few questions maybe someone could help me. My 07 Scion tC keeps spitting this code out so I took it to a repair shop.
And they said it could be a.) the timing chain or b.) the variable valve solenoid. Does anyone if replacing the solenoid would get the code to shut off? I see its pretty easy to replace!

Any help would be appreciated!

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-26-2021 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Year Badge
Old 04-21-2014, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by tshouse20
Hey guys I've been doing some reading and I had a few questions maybe someone could help me. My 07 scion TC keeps spitting this code out so I took it to a repair shop.. And they said it could be a.) the timing chain or b.) the variable valve solenoid. Does anyone if replacing the solenoid would get the code to shut off? I see its pretty easy to replace! Any help would be appreciated!
See my post above - try checking or replacing the camshaft position sensor actuator, you could get one on E bay between $60 - $90. It took me about 20 minutes to replace mine and no more check engine light.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by FLYBOYJ
See my post above - try checking or replacing the camshaft position sensor actuator, you could get one on E bay between $60 - $90. It took me about 20 minutes to replace mine and no more check engine light.
I replaced it Sunday but still on. Could it be the gear assembly? or chain?
Old 09-09-2017, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Had the same error code, but car runs like new. Anybody coming across this, you may need a new gas cap. I noticed after fill up that the lights would come off momentarily. So it appears there was a leak. After swapping out the cap, no more three stooges lights.
Old 03-26-2021, 05:35 AM
SL Member

Spoiler

Hi, I replace the Engine Variable Valve Timing (VVT) solenoid about 3 years ago. Today after like 35K Miles the Failure Code P0012 come like zombie again. Last Summer was done to the engine
a "classic" interior flush cleaning with Kerosene. Please let me know if because this code show up with the associated Code P0136, can be that I only need to change the oil?

Thank you.

Those failure lights show up yesterday. I not see an engine performance failure yet. OBDII code say P0012 and P0136. That O2 sensor have an 1.5" inch extension.
What happened here? Please let me know if I need a new car? If yes, what car is like Scion xB 2004? Or is just my nostalgia feeling? Thank you.

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-20-2021 at 05:54 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Dreaded P0012 code...