Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Maint Reqd Light is not going out!!!

Old 09-16-2009, 03:27 PM

Question Maint Reqd Light is not going out!!!

I have already tried resetting the monitor numerous times so please do not tell me to do this. I have had this car for almost 3 years and change my oil and filter on an every 3,000 mile basis. I have reset the thing many times in the past after changing my oil.
With that said....it was acting as it normally does with the maint reqd light blinking at first and now is on solid. Resetting, is not working. Oil is clean and filter is new, level is perfect. Could it be the computer or is there another "trick" I can try before taking it in and paying some jerk lots of money for a few seconds of work I could have done mysef?
Please do not repsond if you have nothing nice, intelligent, or useful to say. Thanks!
Old 09-16-2009, 03:53 PM

go get someone with a code reader to pull the code for you. autozone and pepboys both do it for free now. maybe its a different problem.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you could try disconnecting the battery for a lil bit
Old 09-16-2009, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is it actually the Maintenance light or the Check Engine light?

If it truly is the Maint Reqd light and it will not be reset by the actual instructions... you need to go to the dealer to find out why.

That said, I would seriously print off the instructions and make sure you're resetting it properly. I don't care how many times you've done it in the past - that does not necessarily mean you're doing it properly this time. The biggest thing you need to make sure of (and the easiest to miss) is that the odometer needs to be set to ODO before you do it - not one of the Trips. So you'd need to set it to that, turn the car off - then turn it back to On following the instructions.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ or what he said!
Old 09-16-2009, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

The maint reqd light is on because maint is reqd....just a thought.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm assuming from what she's saying, she's already done the maintenance but the light is on.

But I also don't understand why she'd be changing oil at 3k miles given the manual specifically states 5k.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

ack you took the out of my joke and made it into a

I'm sure the oil wasn't the issue if she reset the light and it still is on.

Oh and if the light is constantly on....that's not your oil.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:43 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

uhh.. the main't req'd light does NOT detect if the car NEEDS maintenance..

it's only a light to remind you.. it counts miles. nothing more.
does not mean the car needs maintenance really..

though if it's not turning off.. then you need to get it looked at. but yes.. do make sure the odometer is reading ODO prior to reset.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Incorrect, maybe your definition of main't and mine are different.

You changed the oil, didn't reset the oil life indicator so the main't light comes on when you initially start the car and turns off shortly there after......the light needs to be reset which is main't.

The light is constantly on, you reset the oil life indicator and the light is still on, something is wrong....the car needs main't.

If I need to replace a burnt out tail light, that's main't.

If I need to replace windshield wipers, that's main't.

To say that the car doesn't need some form of main't because the light is on does not make much sense, Toyota should've simply built the car without the light if that was the case or omitted the section that clearly states if this particular light stays on then the car needs to be serviced AKA main't out of the manual but they didn't because when it comes on some form of main't needs to take place.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ecko04
Incorrect, maybe your definition of main't and mine are different.

You changed the oil, didn't reset the oil life indicator so the main't light comes on when you initially start the car and turns off shortly there after......the light needs to be reset which is main't.

The light is constantly on, you reset the oil life indicator and the light is still on, something is wrong....the car needs main't.

If I need to replace a burnt out tail light, that's main't.

If I need to replace windshield wipers, that's main't.

To say that the car doesn't need some form of main't because the light is on does not make much sense, Toyota should've simply built the car without the light if that was the case or omitted the section that clearly states if this particular light stays on then the car needs to be serviced AKA main't out of the manual but they didn't because when it comes on some form of main't needs to take place.
1. you're a douchebag
2. the maintenance light turns on after a preset interval. this interval gets set to 0, 1000, 2000, 3000 or 4000 miles depending on how you reset it. so when it activates, it doesn't necessarily mean that you're car needs maintenance. your definition of "main't" is a douchebag response.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

or 5000 miles.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this thread is a bunch of laughs
Old 09-16-2009, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

ya
Old 09-17-2009, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by jobunaga
1. you're a douchebag
2. the maintenance light turns on after a preset interval. this interval gets set to 0, 1000, 2000, 3000 or 4000 miles depending on how you reset it. so when it activates, it doesn't necessarily mean that you're car needs maintenance. your definition of "main't" is a douchebag response.
Clearly you did not read my post moron.

I said if you forget to clear the oil life indicator the light will come on but turn back off, what does that mean main't to reset the light. If you can't do it while the car is running it is main't retard.

The main't light will not clear itself even when it was cleared correctly and it is on all the time which is an issue you freakin retard.

Read more before you post idiot.

And the actual interval for the indicator to come on is 4500 miles after the last indicator reset not 1000, 2000, 3000 or 4000 idiot. It does that to remind you to change the oil before the 5000 mile period.

Read your manual and post again.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

umm you can change the interval times "retard"
Old 09-17-2009, 01:43 PM

Wow! Look at all the name calling and rude behavior I caused with a simple question. It's fixed. Thanks.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

hey jenn, that's great! how did you fix it? did you get the light to turn off by changing your tail light bulbs or replacing your windshield wipers?
Old 09-17-2009, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I don't believe I ever stated those conditions cause a light to be on, I stated those are forms of main't. You completely missed the sentence that says, "To say that the car doesn't need some form of main't because the light is on does not make much sense..."

Some people will only read what they choose to read and not an entire statement, look at a dealerships "main't brochure", seemingly simple things are on it, that don't require anything to be replaced, or fixed, but they're considered main't...why...because they help to maintain the overall upkeep of the car.

Anyway, glad you got it fixed OP.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:57 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

... and yet again.. i say..

the maintenance required light on the tC.. is a MILEAGE COUNTER.
so.. if it does turn on.. it really DOES NOT MEAN YOU NEEEEEED MAINTENANCE.

as it DOES NOT DETECT if the car needs maintenance..
if your taillight goes out, that light won't turn on...
if you need new spark plugs, that light won't turn on....
if you need new windshield wipers or more fluid, that light won't turn on..
if your engine blows up... that light wont turn on.
nothing will make that light turn on except your odometer reading.

btw.. the light starts blinking 500 miles prior to it's setpoint.. thus, if you set it to go off at 5000 miles.. yes.. it'll start blinking at 4500 and then once you reach the set setpoint at 5000, it'll stay on... and AS MENTIONED.. you can set it to go off at a smaller interval. so yeah.. you want the light to turn on after 1000 miles?
YOU CAN.. so who's the idiot now? you watch your attitude, or things you don't want will fly your way.

now i suggest you fully understand that light and its purpose. if it turns on.. holy crap. what do you do?!
first thing is ask yourself.. did you do the maintenance that that light's purpose to remind you.. you do? (oil change?)
if so.. just friggin' reset it. if not.. go change your damn oil and then reset it..

it's for those morons who cant keep track of your miles and how much you've driven until you need your next oil change... cause some oil change places don't give you a stupid sticker.. or if you do the oil changes yourself.. the idiot might forget.

so go shoot a bullet in your block and see if that light turns on.
because you've done nothing but demonstrate your inability to understand things, and your attitude doesn't make you look any better.

so when my stupid light turns on.. i'll ignore it... because i know what it's for... and when the time comes to change my oil.. i'll do it whenever i want and whenever it is needed... no big brother above my head needing to tell me what to do. hmph.

Last edited by SquallLHeart; 09-17-2009 at 11:05 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Maint Reqd Light is not going out!!!