tC Tech and DIY Info for the Scion tC

Cabin Air Filter (Homemade)

Old 03-08-2006, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Cabin Air Filter (Homemade)

The tools:
1. Filter of your choice ( I got the Ultra Allergen from 3M at home depot for about $16.00 that can make 4 filters )
2. Scissors, any household scissors will do
3. A pen if necessary

Now the hardest part of this job was taking out the glove compartment. You first start off by taking out the two side clips like so.

My advice would be to take the left one out then to the right.

You use a mild pressure towards the center of the compartment to push the clip out

This shows the clip out

Now the right side.

Right side out

Now for the buttom hinge that has to be pulled off. ( located on the bottom right of the glove compartment )

Hinge off

Once you remove everything you will see the filter tray and and also the our cars ECU on the right hand side. Just pull off the tabs to the tray and your almost done!

Take the tray out and do some cutting with your scissors. i compared the tray size and used a pen to mark how much cutting i needed to do.

Finished product

Hope this will help you guys have a dust/pollen/odor free car.

{Tagged as tech article - pics moved to ScionLife --Tomas}
Old 03-08-2006, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice, simple, easy to follow write up.

We also have one for the xB in the FAQ/Tech section. Pretty much same process:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20753
Old 04-15-2006, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member

Default No filter

So I found this write up (thank you gcxandy) and decided to change the filter myself. When I opened the filter tray, lo and behold, no filter! Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't there be a filter? On my last service visit, the dealer offered to replace my filter because it's been over a year. Wow, I bet 'replacing' my filter will make a signifcant difference...
Old 04-15-2006, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

He probably replaced your air filter ... which is under the hood. That is the in-cabin filter - no Scions come with them from the factory... but the space is there on all models.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice and easy guide =)

i need to do this soon because with all this rain it smells !

thank you
Old 04-15-2006, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ack154
He probably replaced your air filter ... which is under the hood. That is the in-cabin filter - no Scions come with them from the factory... but the space is there on all models.
No, he was specific about the in-cabin air filter... so they don't come with the filter but the space is there? Interesting. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ That's strange then. I'm pretty sure my dealer doesn't even know it exists.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

That's true. None of the SCION dealers I called had a P/N for it for the tC.
They did me a favor in the end because I got off of my lazy butt and mode some like above and it's great.
I've heard that they should be the same P/N as other SCIONs, but why?
Making them yourself is the way to go.

Scott
Old 04-17-2006, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just picked up one of these filters, except I bought the slightly cheaper one which still filters out pollen/smoke/etc(I also got 20x30x1, which will make 6), just not germs Did you pay attention to which way you put the filter in? The one I bought only has the metal mesh on one side, and with that side up the air seemed very restricted, turned around the other way it flowed like normal but was definitely fresher. So, from what I can tell from how the airflow arrow is on the filter, the air flows from the top through the bottom. Can anyone who has had one in for a while confirm which side gets dirty, or if anyone just knows for a fact which side the air flows from?
Old 04-17-2006, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member

YES, I can confirm this... it flows from the top, down. I put the air on and held a piece of paper to make sure.

BTW, forgot to mention earlier and while we're on the subject of clean air... Before I installed the new filter in I also used a product from a German company called Klima Cleaner. It's made by 1Z (or 'einszett' in German). It cleans out the evaporator core inside the dash (that's where all the mold and bacteria are because of water condensation and dirt buildup). Anyway, with that applied and my new filter, I'm looking forward to easier breathing during allergy season. I just wish I knew about the filter a couple of weeks ago before the pollen count started to skyrocket!

Here's a pic and link to the product.

Link: http://www.1z-usa.com/AC_Cleaner.html

Descript:

Klima-Cleaner 250 ml (8,5 fl oz)

- Removes bacteria and fungi from air conditioning units and ducting.
- Reduces allergens for clean, healthy, and fresher smelling air.

Don't mask odors with fragrances -- treat them. Klima-Cleaner is an effective means for removing odors from the air conditioning unit by eliminating odor-causing bacteria, fungi and other germs. Works by effectively cleaning the evaporator -- the source of the problem. Simply insert included spray hose into the center air vents in your vehicle's interior and spray. Allow to work for 30 minutes. Creates a healthy and fresh smelling environment that lasts for months.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was going to buy one today at toyota, but they said there is no where to put one. (obviously wrong), but there was a special note that said that the filter mod cant be done to the tc because of the cooling system, but their pc showed it working for the xb and xa, but specifically said not to do it in the tc. he gave me the card to call the master tech tomorow to find out more.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Originally Posted by kcautotc
i was going to buy one today at toyota, but they said there is no where to put one. (obviously wrong), but there was a special note that said that the filter mod cant be done to the tc because of the cooling system, but their pc showed it working for the xb and xa, but specifically said not to do it in the tc. he gave me the card to call the master tech tomorow to find out more.
Yeah, that's been posted, so I'd like to know why this is and if it's true.
Please post back if you hear anything back.

Scott
Old 04-21-2006, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member

Just spoke to my dealer Scion Buena Park. The parts guy was the only one who could give me some answer. When he checked his system for a part number, he got the same message about the cooling system. But he said he couldn't imagine how it could cause a problem. Which leads me to emphasize that it's important to put the filter in the correct direction so that the air flows freely.

He also mentioned that he's seen it before (he used the Toyota Highlander as an example) where one year the system had the place for the air filter but it wasn't installed and no mention of it was made to the public. The following year it was suddenly standard when all along it was there. He said that it's possibly the case with the tC as well. That if there a response to it, it will be installed in the next cycle.

I did call Scion directly but I hate to say it, they don't have a clue. They told me it was an option and I could buy the filter at the dealer. The rep also said I should call another dealer to verify the information about the 'possible issue'. I don't know, I just don't see how there could be a problem.

Anyway, if you want to get a filter from Scion, it's $25... it's the filter from the xB. Probably been mentioned before but just in case...

All I can say is that my air is way cleaner - especially driving out here in smog filled SoCal.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i called the service department at my local dealer and the tech said if it has a tray, do it. he thinks it was more of an issue with some of the tcs not having the tray. or something. so bassically if you have the tray, do it. and it will be warrantied till 36k also. and he also said that no filter will be restrictive enough to cause problems. yay!
Old 05-10-2006, 06:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So you guys really notice a difference right? I will try it...does wal-mart sell those filters?
Old 05-10-2006, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member

Without a doubt, yes
Old 05-10-2006, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so i got the filter from wal mart. the wires side goes on top correct? like the picture? Just need a confirmation.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member

Not sure. On the filtrete filter, it had wire on both sides. Look for the arrow that's on the side of the filter before you cut it. It shows which way the air should flow.

The air flows from the top, down. \/
Old 05-10-2006, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I made mine exactly how the picture here is like. I hope thats right. The arrow said to have the side with wires to face the fan...or whatever...
Old 05-10-2006, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member

If you put it in wrong, the air flow will be limited and you'll notice. I believe someone posted that earlier in the thread. Enjoy the fresh air... you won't have to put on recirculate as much anymore!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cabin Air Filter (Homemade)