Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

xB 2nd -- sun roof

Old 05-08-2007, 06:00 PM

Default xB 2nd -- sun roof

Has anyone made any moves toward getting a sun roof installed? If so, what have you found out?
Old 05-11-2007, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I'm getting one done next week. I'm going with the webasto. I will post pictures when its done.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I'm going panoramic so I'll post up next month after it's finally installed. I have to have the hole cut, then trailer the car to paint then back to the sunroof place.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by scvscions
I'm going panoramic so I'll post up next month after it's finally installed. I have to have the hole cut, then trailer the car to paint then back to the sunroof place.
Is it custom panoramic or is it a Webasto pana?
Old 05-19-2007, 11:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You guys get Webasto there too? COOL!
Old 05-30-2007, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They should have made it a factory sun roof
Old 05-30-2007, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was talking to a dealer and they are looking into a full length rag top slider....that would look AWESOME!
Old 05-31-2007, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DanPorges
I was talking to a dealer and they are looking into a full length rag top slider....that would look AWESOME!
There was a Webasto Hollandia 400 folding canvas top for the xB1. Ctruss here on SL had one, and said it was OK except side sprays in car washes could get under the edge. I wonder how the canvas and the sliding ribs hold up after three or five years. I think the warranty was much shorter than for the solid inbuilt sliders.
http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ing%20Sunroof/

When I went to buy a sunroof, my Webasto dealer said he would not order me the folding canvas model, and steered me to this inbuilt slider, which I am glad I got:
http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...%20and%20Dash/
Old 06-09-2007, 11:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I have a Webasto 700 in my XB gen 1 and have had nothing but problems. Mabye I got the lemon but it's been enough that I'll never put an aftermarket sunroof in anything ever again.

I don't mean to be negative. I just want to let you know they can be problematic.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chadfo
I have a Webasto 700 in my XB gen 1 and have had nothing but problems. Mabye I got the lemon but it's been enough that I'll never put an aftermarket sunroof in anything ever again. I don't mean to be negative. I just want to let you know they can be problematic.
In my xB I have a Webasto 640, which is about the same sunroof minus some fancy controls. No problems in the past year. In a previous car, the Webasto lasted ten years until we sold it, with no problems.
You said your installer incorrectly routed the rear drain tubes to the xB's C pillar instead of the B pillar. The extra distance did not allow good sloped drainage as the rear tubes went back along the roof, which trapped water, which prevented more water from the gutter from draining freely, which caused the gutter to back up and leak onto the headliner.
Did your sunroof gutter continue to overflow after the installer re-routed the rear drain tubes directly down the B-pillars?
To do that, they had to remove the headliner again. Did all that removing and reinstalling the headliner cause a mess?
Were there any problems that were actually the fault of Webasto's materials or design, as opposed to a poor installer?
Old 08-05-2008, 02:15 AM

Default 09 xB Sunroof

Had the sunroof installed. It was the largest available. Cost was $925 w/tax and it looks sharp! This dealer did a beautiful job. What is really neat is that it closes automatically when I turn off the engine.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: 09 xB Sunroof

Originally Posted by avalon
Had the sunroof installed. It was the largest available. Cost was $925 w/tax and it looks sharp! This dealer did a beautiful job. What is really neat is that it closes automatically when I turn off the engine.
If it's the same Webasto moonroof I have, that's a great price. I passed on the automatic feature because it was $100 extra. And I would not want the roof to close every time I turned off the engine to get gas or a coffee or go into a shop. And then I have to reopen it. All those extra cycles would shorten the life of the mechanism.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:54 PM

has anyone done panoramic? curious to see how it looks
Old 08-05-2008, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cubanix
has anyone done panoramic? curious to see how it looks
If you mean the folding sunroof, it looks like this:
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...gSunroof-2.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...gSunroof-3.jpg
There also may have been a glass moonroof that was nearly as big.

Webasto quit furnishing both of them for the xB as there were problems. I think the opening was so big that children were sitting on the edge and deforming the track. The folding model would admit water from the side spray of carwashes, and the fabric and stays gave it a short life expectancy so I don't think Webasto even warranteed it.

My sunroof installer refused to get me the folding sunroof even though it was still available. Instead he got me this moonroof which has been perfect for over two years and is waranteed for three:
http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...%20and%20Dash/
Old 08-05-2008, 02:52 PM

that would be the better choice.. thanks
Old 08-05-2008, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

The folding rag is universal. www.streetbeatcustoms.com sells them, too.

I'd opt for a glass moon/sunroof. I think they look better!
Old 08-06-2008, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
The folding rag is universal. www.streetbeatcustoms.com sells them, too....
There is nothing universal about a Webasto folding sunroof. It is made to fit up inside the roof of the xB. The frame extends under the roof behind the opening and contains the motor and linkage. The frame contains arms that tie into the side roof beams to replace the support and rigidity lost by the removal of the original roof beam located over the back of the front seat.

There is no comparison between a Webasto and the universal sliding ragtops sold by Streetbeat Customs. The Webastos are internal, motorized and sold through professional installers while the universal ragtops are mounted on top of the roof, manual, and "designed for the do-it-yourself and comes complete with everything you need to add a slider sunroof to your vehicle."
Old 08-06-2008, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by vintage42
Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
The folding rag is universal. www.streetbeatcustoms.com sells them, too....
There is nothing universal about a Webasto folding sunroof. It is made to fit up inside the roof of the xB. The frame extends under the roof behind the opening and contains the motor and linkage.

There is no comparison between a Webasto and the universal sliding ragtops sold by Streetbeat Customs. The Webastos are internal, motorized and sold through professional installers while the universal ragtops are mounted on top of the roof, manual, and "designed for the do-it-yourself and comes complete with everything you need to add a slider sunroof to your vehicle."
Ahhhhhh. Gotcha. So Webasto > universal StreetBeat.

Sidenote, Webasto is quite a large company. We use Webasto fuel heaters on our buses.