Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

xB will not start

Old 01-04-2008, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default xB will not start

This is sort of a last minute question. I thought I ran across this topic before but can't find it. My xB suddenly decided it didn't want to start today. I put the key in the ignition and you can here the car about to start (makes a click noise) then nothing happens. It won't even turn over. It does not sound like the starter but possibly an ignition or maybe a sensor/fuse issue? I had this in the past happen to me and I used my remote starter to start the car. I never bothered to look into it but now my remote for my remote start took a crap so I'm left with starting the car with the key manually but no luck. The car has 72k. Everything turns on, lights, radio etc. Battery is fine. The car is bone stock, plugs have been changed, oild changes done and all. Never gave me no issues until now.

meant to add it's an auto.....couold it be a starte issue? doesn't sound like it though....

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-16-2017 at 09:41 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-04-2008, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you sure it's in p all the way? try shifing gears a few times and throw it back into park ands try again.. if not for all the lights turning on, sounds like the battery is not supplying enough current to kick the starter on..
could be a bad starter sylonoid?
Old 01-04-2008, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm, never thought about the battery. The battery is the original and I have noticed as of late the car starting up slower then usual for awhile now, but never considered it. It sounds like tha battery isn't giving the juice it use to though. It is in park all the way and I did throw it through the gears p/r/n/d and still no luck. I had to catch a ride home but I'm going back there now with a friend and see what I can come up with. Does any one know where the ignition switch is located? It's wierd because I'm use to having like zero problems with this car so I really never bothered to look anything up....now I pay the price at the last minute...
Old 01-04-2008, 10:01 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
TOCC

SL Member

i just had to replace the batt. in my 04 xB. it went dead on its own time. its due for a new batt anyhow. Had the same deal on my 05 last year.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wanted to add that the clicking noise I hear isn't your typical clicking noise where sometimes you have to hammer the crap out of the starter for it to start. This clicking noise sounds normal and was always there before the car started....sounds electrical...can't remember what sparks plugs are in there right now..gotta look that up..this sh*t had to happen on a friday night
Old 01-04-2008, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

could be the sylonoid on the starter, or even a bad or weak battery ground...
i have an 04, and i let my car sit for 4 days over the xmass break, only to find that my original battery had +3 volts.... so time for a new battey for me as well... but... all my lights were dead, no radio, no door lights,nothing...
i was able to push start it and the battery is charing now, but it's on it;s last legs..
you could have no spark plugs in there, and the starter should still turn the motor over, so it;'s not the plugs,,, try to jumpstart it with cables...
Old 01-04-2008, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If its the original battery, you probably have never cleaned the cable clamps either. Try cleaning those! Probably the battery, though. G/L!
Old 01-04-2008, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks guys for taking the time to reply. I went back to my job with some jumper cables just in case. Sure and behold before I could even opene my hood the SOB started right up. I have a feeling it has something to do with my remote starter but I could be wrong. The battery seems strong, no dimming on any lights even while I turn the motor over. Turned the car back off and it started up fine. Drove home turned the car off and back on with no issues. It's still a mystery to me but now would be a good time to take the car to the dealer and get some diagnostic done and get a new battery while I'm at it :D
Old 01-04-2008, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tanakasan
If its the original battery, you probably have never cleaned the cable clamps either. Try cleaning those! Probably the battery, though. G/L!
Yeah I never cleaned the cable clamps but they look good. Still a good idea to do anyway.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2008, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From what you have described it sounds like the battery is fine. Sounds like it may be a starter solenoid issue. You might find in lower ambient temperature it may start to happen more frequently, but once it warms up the car will start no problem. Keep those jumpers handy though, in the event it won't start, the extra amperage & voltage from an additional vehicle with help bridge the starter contacts.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:51 AM

I am having the same problem for like the past 3 days now...everything seemed fine then all of sudden click click then it would turn...every day it is getting worse and taking longer to turn...now I have to hold the key until it turns on and it takes like 10-15 secs and its clicking and then i hear like the battery losing power...some people say it might be my fuel pump or intake because the way it sounds like it not getting fuel or something...man i am lost!!! help please!!!!! I don't believe it is the starter of the alternator... any help would be most apperciated!!!
Old 02-10-2008, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check the heavy wires running to the starter especially the ends where they bolt onto the starter solenoid. You may want to check the red plastic covered junction box hanging off the positive battery terminal too. You could have a loose wire to the starter and not to the rest of the car. Other than that it could be a starter failing but they are supposed to be very well made so check for loose connections first. I don't know about you but I tend to turn the key to the start position really hard - still can't figure why I do that but I do.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:55 AM

yea I am going to check that first thing in the morning, but do you also think it could be something with my audio system draining the power or something? also I noticed that my edfc for my damper system is off now when the car finally turns on...but yea I def need to check that starter area...thanks Jan06xB!
Old 02-10-2008, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Battery voltage should stay above 12 volts with the engine off and the accessories turned on with light power usage. If you have a 2000 watt amp in there then you may have loaded the battery down a little extra and shortened it life. Likewise for any electric powered suspension system additions. Cranking voltage on the battery terminals - check them right on the center of the lead battery posts with a meter not on the cables should be about 11 volts or higher when cranking the engine. If you measure on the cable clamps and see a big difference in voltage then you have a loose clamp or bad contact. Battery voltage should come up to 14-14.1 volts once the engine starts.