Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

What are standard increase HP/Performance in my xA?

Old 09-18-2011, 06:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default What are standard increase HP/Performance in my xA?

I am curious about putting some horsepower in my xA. I would like to know some standard things you can do to increase hp. Cold Air Intake, Chip mods, Exhausts.
Just standard things that wont cost me up into the 1000's ( I know CAI are like 250-300$)
I'm also aware that some chip mods are total bull____ - gfchips- so what would you guys suggest about increasing the overall performance of my car?

Also any suggestions on brands or where I should go to get these parts, or ECU Flashes that may help.

Thx ^.^

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-21-2020 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 09-18-2011, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh yeah dude! great great question, you can bolt on some serious horsepower for that xA for cheap!!

intake: $50 with about 200hp increase

exhaust: $100 with about a 300hp increase

chip: $150 with about a 400hp increase

then if you add like headers or something... man we are talking some serious hp for CHEAP!! you'll be beating zo6's in no time.

Great question, great question. its really easy to stay under a thousand and get serious horsepower!!!
Old 09-18-2011, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Don't need to be rude. I do not know these things thats why im asking. i thought this place was soposed to be helpful. not condisending.....thanks. sry iv wronged you in SO many ways........im not looking for a HUGE increase just a few things that will help. if i have to spend alot of money on it so be it was just curious of ways that increase HP.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the standard I/H/E mods are gonna get you maybe 5 hp TOTAL. dont expect any real hp gains unless you go forced induction. if you plan on doing that, plan on putting down some serious cash. check out toy box racing's build to see what these motors are capable of.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

So say i put down some some money what are some things other than terbo or eingine swaping.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

not much at all. engine management may get you a few ponies and lightening the car up may help feel it a bit better but without some sort of big purchase your a sitting duck. some people have done the cams and a few have gotten the weaponR sheetmetal intake manifold. you can also do the 1zz throttle body swap: http://www.clubxb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28510 . short of that you are stuck. nitrous can also give you a bump but its not cost effective and i wouldnt go more than about a 15 shot with our intake mani and weak motor. again tho check out toyboxracing. they are making aluminum oil pans and bad ___ intake mani's and doing a lot for our boxes. they also have their own cam grinds that arent the typical junk yard stuff that gude does.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

my honest opinion is to save up for a nice n/a setup from tbr or a turbo/supercharger and in the mean time work on you suspension and brakes. a car can seem a lot faster if your cornering and stopping capabilities are upgraded. ive had several cars that were slow but were beasts on tight scca layouts. speed is only good in a straight line anyways.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by samxa
Don't need to be rude. I do not know these things thats why im asking. i thought this place was soposed to be helpful. not condisending.....thanks. sry iv wronged you in SO many ways........im not looking for a HUGE increase just a few things that will help. if i have to spend alot of money on it so be it was just curious of ways that increase HP.
I'm sorry But there isn't anything you can do to gain horsepower. Don't be fool by looking good and looking fast with actually being fast. I would work on the looking good and looking fast. Don't except to ever put less than a grand into your car if you want results of any kind. I was hoping you would actually go on some websites and look at prices and hp gains. What you should do is get a good exhaust system. not to increase hp, but to sound good. then you are going to drop it. Bam, already look like your going a million miles an hour. THose xA are ugly as shish, but when you drop them, and do a few things, they can look dang good. work on that. get a bigger budget too. or do like we all do.. one thing at a time.

but yeah, the ultimate would be dropping 4-5 grand on a turbo kit and clutch otherwise.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 05sciko
again tho check out toyboxracing. they are making aluminum oil pans and bad ___ intake mani's and doing a lot for our boxes. they also have their own cam grinds that arent the typical junk yard stuff that gude does.
An oil pan for the HP increase? Do you already know something about the intake manifold?
Old 09-19-2011, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the oil pan is lighter so it could unlock power plus it holds an extra quart of oil which "can" open up power kinda like how it feels peppier after an oil change (more seat of the pants deal) plus the pan will have provisions for oil lines for turbos that you can add later. i dont know a whole lot about the intake mani. just seen a few posts from tbr about it. does noone know how to use the search function???
Old 09-19-2011, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I saw that thread, it's just talking about plans, prices, etc. I thought may be you knew something about the gains it will give. We'll wait and see.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the oil pan is lighter so it could unlock power plus it holds an extra quart of oil which "can" open up power kinda like how it feels peppier after an oil change
i MIGHT have to quote this into my signature......
Old 09-19-2011, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol not saying any gains will be felt just that more oil= better displacement of particles which could lead to a cleaner running engine which, in turn, leads to the motor being able to produce the maximum amount of power allowable. why do you think people who race their cars change their oil so much?? also any weight loss means that the power you have is more usable because the motor isnt having to try and move x amount of weight (although its a fairly small amount). Or i could be talking out of my ___ because regardless of what we do to these cars, they are gonna be slow.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol not saying any gains will be felt just that more oil= better displacement of particles which could lead to a cleaner running engine which, in turn, leads to the motor being able to produce the maximum amount of power allowable. why do you think people who race their cars change their oil so much?? also any weight loss means that the power you have is more usable because the motor isnt having to try and move x amount of weight (although its a fairly small amount). Or i could be talking out of my ___ because regardless of what we do to these cars, they are gonna be slow.
even if you lost the weight to using an aluminum pan, youd gain it back by having more oil
Old 09-20-2011, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

OK so what i am understand is that for now i should just work on getting one thing at a time. I/H/E just for overall performance (only yielding 5hp max) lower my car for better handling and something like spacers for better traction and eventually buy a terbo charger (or duel turbo charger if these cars can run them) Can someone link me the toy box racing site? also what about Carbon Fiber to help lighten the load? Im just unaware of how to gain HP so even after that what else can i do to increase horsepower. Even if i am losing a few MPG.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Let me list a few things.

Exhaust, headers, air intake, weight reduction(removing interior, small racing battery, light weight wheels like enkie rpf1's, apr mirrors)

weight reduction will definitely make your ride accelerate alot better. Using higher end oils like motul and eneos will help better performance results. Spark plugs,

if your looking for serious numbers for your ride, you need to turbo or supercharge.

your not gonna be fast like a race car. your just gonna be a fast go cart with a little pep to it.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't get it? He won't even spend a grand but he's over here talking about a twin turbo and carbon fiber?

You want horsepower, that's great. All it is air. The more you force in and the faster you can force it out is all you need to do. That's horsepower for the most part. You aren't going to get the horsepower you want, trust me. Go for looks like I was saying. That xA can look good if you do the right things.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i do agree with the oil counterbalancing the weight loss. let that slip my mind! basically just drive the damn thing and quit worrying about how much hp you have. these are "economy" cars and werent made to run fast. thats why they are shaped like an egg and a brick
Old 10-21-2011, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Im new to cars, its not that I dont mind putting money into it. I just didnt know that there are not rly any standard things for hp increases. Horsepower = $$ so im finding out.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by samxa
Im new to cars, its not that I dont mind putting money into it. I just didnt know that there are not rly any standard things for hp increases. Horsepower = $$ so im finding out.
Yeah, I guess that's alright. I'm sorry I was hostile before, I guess at some point everyone really doesn't know how to increase horsepower. But honestly, don't come on here to ask that. Google.com is great. Type in "xA Performance Parts" and a new world will open up for you. After choosing a website, read all the descriptions of all the different parts and they will tell you 1. What they main function is 2. How much horsepower or general power it will give you and 3. Cost. After you do that, you won't need to ask anyone on here any questions like that. Now, if you have a question about a specific item, search for it on this website and see what people have said about it. If you can't find anything, then ask us.

I will say without dumping nearly 5 grand into speed for your car, you aren't going to get much. Honestly, as a tC owner, I love the xA. If you drop that thing on some springs and slap some rims on it or a little body kit, those things can look dang sexy. If I were you, I'd focus on sounding fast and looking good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What are standard increase HP/Performance in my xA?