Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

FYI on xD trailer hitches

Old 09-14-2007, 03:31 PM
Zoo
5 Year Member

Default FYI on xD trailer hitches

I just bought a U-Haul hitch which was supposed to fit the xD, according to their fit guide, Part Number #249060, just so you guys know this hitch does NOT fit the xD, the holes match up fine but there's something that hangs down in the middle (I think it's for the spare wheel) that stops the hitch from going back as far as it needs to go the brackets end up being too short. Curt also seems to have a hitch that was "custom fitted" to the xD but it looks like the same one as the U-Haul. Looks like I'll be forced to go with one of those strap one bike racks since there is also no roof option for the xD Guess I should have done a bit more research before buying it. Anyways, just wanted to give everyone a heads up so you don't go out spending $140 on a hitch only to find out that it doesn't fit.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 09-14-2007, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bet they'll make a roof rack if enough people want it. I bought the car knowing that there were very few accessories for it with the understanding that most of the accessories will be aftermarket.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:32 PM

The xD is NOT rated for towing.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Zoo
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by schaumburgscion
Which is why I'm not towing with it, I'm carrying a bike rack with it.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:13 PM

Well..I wouldnt think it would fit anyway..I mean it just came out a few months ago..and I would hate to put anything like that on my car..You have to have a tow hitch to use a bike rack? That sucks..good luck though
Old 12-06-2008, 08:05 AM

i put a trans cooler on my xd and pull a small trailer. if the load is heavy stay in 3rd with auto with stick 4th
Old 12-06-2008, 08:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

uh 4th is a pretty damn high gear to stay in on a manual...our torque band is pretty much restricted to 1st and 2nd gear, if youre on the freeway its different i guess..unless thats what you meant
Old 12-06-2008, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just found this hitch , cuz i've been thinking about investing in one in the future for my DJ equipment i hav eto lug around.

~~~EDIT:WHOOPS JUST NOTICED you already mentioned curt. Was moving the exhaust down abit like they reccommend in the instructions a pain? a pic or two of what was in the way caould be helpful.~~~~~

How close does yours look like this one? its mfg by CURT and its supposed to be specific for 08scion xd. PIC + LINK

http://www.redtrailers.com/ShowItem.asp?id=C11491

IF/when i get one for my car i'd like to add one of these type of cargo platforms that plug right into a reciever hitch. i'd LOOOVE IT.
[/img]
Old 12-07-2008, 02:32 AM
Banned
SL Member

Try to sell a xD with a hitch installed! Hahahaha! Ridiculous!

Originally Posted by Zoo
Originally Posted by schaumburgscion
Which is why I'm not towing with it, I'm carrying a bike rack with it.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What's wrong with having a hitch installed? No drilling required, so it would come out very easily. I found that the hitch on my Golf was a big selling point for a lot of potential buyers.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

on top of the fact that this thread (and one other) proves that there is a market for hitches on xD's....just because it doesn't interest YOU doesn't mean its not worth it...think outside the box. and if you've got a problem with it, just ignore it
Old 12-07-2008, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

True dat. The Curt hitch is on my Xmas wish list. Please, follks... you can ignore the fact that Scion does not rate the car for towing in the US. That just a CYA approach to sue-happy Americans. Look at most Euro cars and you'll see that they are rated to tow more weight in Europe than they are in America. Just a difference in the number they put in the manual. It is common in many European cars to tow trailers behind small cars. I'll be towing my teardrop camper behind my xD for sure. The Curt hitch is rated at 2,000 pounds and my teardrop is only 900 pounds. No problem at all... just drive smart and allow plenty of room for braking.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

althgouh in europe, a lot of cars are diesel, which gives them an advantage in torque, as well as the fact that many come with awd options (just like japan). but your point is still valid and true
Old 12-08-2008, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your manual says specifically states that this car cannot handle towing in any capacity and isn't designed for one, not that Toyota didn't want to be bothered. Max weight the car can hold inside is about 600 lbs which leaves little to what it could ever tow. Our trannies are also that found on the Yaris' 1.5 engine, its simply not designed for the task. Not trying to hate on the idea, Im just trying to help some of you prevent tranny/chassis damage.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, this came up in the last topic that was posted about hitches, and i agree 100% with you (as i did in the other topic on this)
Old 12-08-2008, 02:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your manual says specifically states that this car cannot handle towing in any capacity and isn't designed for one, not that Toyota didn't want to be bothered.
And is "Toyota cannot be bothered..." something they would normally say in the manual?
Max weight the car can hold inside is about 600 lbs which leaves little to what it could ever tow.
That's why trailers go on the outside.
Im just trying to help some of you prevent tranny/chassis damage.
There's nothing that specifically says the transmission/engine/chassis cannot handle this load. What you are saying may be true, but you can't go around claiming that it is a fact.

A lot of people use their cars for things that they are not designed or approved for. That doesn't mean it won't work. Car and truck manufacturers must make certain choices when they design a car and when they write the manual. They don't want someone towing something and losing control of it then suing them for it. This kind of thing happens all the time in the US, but not often in most European countries because they have legal systems that limits such abuses.

Saying that you don't recommend something is fine. Saying that it can't be done is another.

I don't recommend that anyone do anything unsafe with their cars. But saying that a car like an xD can't tow a 1,000 pound trailer is kind of crazy in my book. I have always had cars with trailer hitches because I never had (or wanted) a truck. I used to tow 4,000 pound loads with my 240D (which has all of 67 horsepower) for hundreds of miles. By the way, that car had over 600,000 miles on it when I sold it. The guy who bought it wanted it just to launch his boat.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mmm don't think he was saying its impossible, he's simply stating that its not designed for it. while you are right, people use cars for LOADS of thins they aren't designed for, i think what zefoxe is getting at is you're increasing your risk for damage by doing this (and since the transaxle is recieving the most stress from the load, that would most likely be the first to go).

this was the main problem in the last thread was that people were saying they were sure that even an xD can tow a small load. this may be true, and while it may do so seemingly efficiently, you're exposing the mechanical aspects of your car to greater load than necessary, and than they were normally designed for. given the right circumstances, maybe the xD can tow well over 1k lbs., but it's still not designed for it. if you feel that you have no problems with towing your small hitch, waverunners, dirt bikes, etc., then by all means, just do so safely and be sure to inspect everything before the trip, especially tire pressure.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, before towing, or even putting a cargo tray on the back, I would highly recommend putting AirLift bags int he rear springs. They do wonders for keeping the rear level when you have a load in the rear. Not just for towing, but also for carrying a carload of people and luggage.

Before I tow anything, I'll take measurements and talk to the people over at AirLift. They were able to find the proper lift bags for my Golf, and I wouldn't tow anything without them!
Old 12-12-2008, 01:25 AM

Default Bike rack/roof rack

There is a roof rack available for the Xd. It is maked by Yakima and you would have to purchase the roof rack of course plus attachments for what ever you are planning on putting up there. I have been thinking of getting one but it adds up. Right now I am using the that mounts on the hatch. If you would like to see photos of my current set up, just let me know.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member

Default Roof rack and hitch for '08 Xd

Hi y'all. New Xd owner here. Funny story, really. The Xd was not even on my car-hunting radar, but I got a deal on slightly used '08 that was too good to ignore. Once I drove the car a bit, my car search came to an abrupt end.

Anyways, I'm trying to convince my wife that the Xd will be just fine on a family road trip with 4 people on board, luggage and bicycles. To that end, I just ordered a U-Haul 24789 hitch (Curt 11491) and a Thule roof rack. I'll supplement the scant trunk space with a roof bag and have the bikes in my flatbed hitch-mount bike rack. I'm getting everything between now and Thursday. Will install on Saturday and should be able to report on whether this hitch fits the Xd. If everything goes well, I won't need to use my wife's '99 CRV. I really would hate to leave my new car at home during the Holidays. :-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FYI on xD trailer hitches