Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

xA Air Conditioner won't turn off..

Old 08-26-2010, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member

Default xA Air Conditioner won't turn off..

I have an 05 xA. When I turn on the air but not the A/C button, I still get ice cold air, indicating the compressor clutch is engaged. It's a pain when I just want fresh air,
but I'm wondering if the clutch is engaged when I am running the heater as well. The light on the A/C button does turn on & off.

Thanks for any comments...

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-24-2018 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr. Badge
Old 08-26-2010, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Make sure you don't have it on defrost!
Old 08-26-2010, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member

By defrost, do you mean where the air is being blown out (ie. under the windshield for defrost)? I have the air blowing straight out the grills toward the driver/ passenger...
Old 08-26-2010, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

even if the AC button is turned off, you have to adjust the air temperature...
Old 08-26-2010, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by RedneckwithanxB
even if the AC button is turned off, you have to adjust the air temperature...
If the A/C button is off, shouldn't the air coming in (w/ the temp dial turned all the way to its coldest) be the same temperature as the outside air? Currently, w/ the A/C button off, it is blowing air 10-20 degrees cooler than the outside temp...
Old 08-26-2010, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DenverXA
By defrost, do you mean where the air is being blown out (ie. under the windshield for defrost)? I have the air blowing straight out the grills toward the driver/ passenger...

Yeah that's what I mean . . . so if you just have it blowing from the front vents and not the top vents on the windshield then I would guess you have a stuck compressor clutch or a blown relay or transistor that turns the clutch on. There should be a wire that powers the clutch which you could disconnect. The real test is if it puts out really cold air with the fan turned off while you are moving. If the clutch is stuck on all the times then you will burn out the compressor pretty quick since it normally is not on all the time . . . watch the high rpms of the engine or you could really do some damage to the compressor until you get it checked. Remember that it is running on the same belt as the water pump and aternator so if the compressor locks up you are going to loose the belt and engine cooling.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:35 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jan06xB
Yeah that's what I mean . . . so if you just have it blowing from the front vents and not the top vents on the windshield then I would guess you have a stuck compressor clutch or a blown relay or transistor that turns the clutch on. There should be a wire that powers the clutch which you could disconnect. The real test is if it puts out really cold air with the fan turned off while you are moving. If the clutch is stuck on all the times then you will burn out the compressor pretty quick since it normally is not on all the time . . . watch the high rpms of the engine or you could really do some damage to the compressor until you get it checked. Remember that it is running on the same belt as the water pump and aternator so if the compressor locks up you are going to loose the belt and engine cooling.
Your first question was right on...

I've been driving all summer w/ the fan on defrost. What threw me a curve is that the front vents are still blowing at this setting (along w/ the windshield vents). Also, I didn't know that the A/C would turn on in defrost mode.

I turned the fan to front vents, A/C button off & had only outside air (temp) blow in. Seems like all is well (?), I just didn't know the Scion system (1st year w/ the car). I've owned a lot of Toyotas...

Thanks for your help & please respond if something doesn't seem right w/ my conclusion!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-24-2018 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr. Badge
Old 08-27-2010, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

YUP the vents on the side are for the side windows and the front vents center will also put out some air if you don't crank the dial all the way over as will the floor vents when on defrost. Glad we got that little problem figured out - they do that to dry out the air and clear the fog on the inside of the windshield - it clears in a few seconds on a rainy or cold day.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

I think in the manual it shows you that when you put that **** to defrost as stated it will turn the ac on.So as he stated put it to anything but that ans see what happens.,then turn it to to def and see if it kicks in or if the rpms change.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:22 AM
5 Year Member

Jan,

Thanks for your help. I see your URL is GasSavers.org. Should I be happy w/ the 31 mpg, mostly city, I'm getting w/ my xA?

Ralph

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-24-2018 at 01:18 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

^ 31 seems to be about right for an xA. Glad you figured out the defroster issue.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DenverXA
Jan,

Thanks for your help. I see your URL is GasSavers.org. Should I be happy w/ the 31 mpg, mostly city, I'm getting w/ my XA?

Ralph
Well I left Logan airport at about 2pm one day and drove around Boston for about 2 hours averaging 40mpg in my xB 2006 so . . . . you could do better. I get really low fuel burn rates at idle like 0.12gph which is why my city driving mpg is so high.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:12 PM
SL Member

Default Air Conditioner Won't Turn Off

Hi,
I have a 2004 Scion xB. The A/C is always on when the blower is on. (The A/C outlet is very cold) Even when I turn off the A/C switch. I did check to make sure it was not on defrost.
Do you think this is a switch/relay problem? I know the compressor does not have an A/C compressor clutch relay - I've read it has a magnetic clutch? I've scoured the web and the manual but nothing about A/C stuck on.

Thank you!
Danny

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-24-2018 at 01:19 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

What happens when you mess with the temperature...if it stays cold I would imagine there's an issue with the blend door. If you have the manual there is a section on troubleshooting, so did that give you any ideas as to where to start troubleshooting?

You could also yank the A/C fuse(s) and see what happens.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:20 PM
SL Member

The Temp dial does affect (gets warmer...)I opened up the glovebox and saw the vent doors properly at work.
Today I disconnected the wired connection at the compressor AND I disconnected the plug at the high pressure sensor. Still blowing cold!
I'm really bamboozled. Evidently the circuit is not so simple as the compressor operation directly dependent on the high pressure sensor connection (?)
Old 08-25-2018, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Did you get the wiring diagrams with your manuals? I hate chasing wiring issues but have found it's always much easier when you have some good references from which to work.

Only other thing I can think of is the compressor clutch is stuck/seized on...
Old 08-25-2018, 12:29 AM
SL Member

I'm clueless with wiring diagrams. I'm looking for a mechanic...