Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Rough idle finally gone (Dirty T/B)

Old 07-22-2011, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Rough idle finally gone (Dirty T/B)

Sup Scionlifigans,

I have an 06 tC with 59000 miles on it and I have been haunted by rough idling for a few months.

When the car's A/C is off its pretty good but with A/C it was in the 450-500 rpm range, as you can image that can be annoying.

I tried getting my injectors cleaned, Seafoam etc.

Then today I was ____I'm gonna have a check at my T/B and man o man it was a scary sight, allot of carbon and gunk.
Went to Napa bought their TB cleaner and went to town, sorry no pics but was a spur of the moment thing.

Anyways my car is running great now smooth idle very good feeling.

If anybody had an issue with rough idle it would be good to check out your T/B. Takes maybe 10 mins depending on the setup I have a short ram so it was very simple.

You'll need:
  • T/B cleaner
  • Clean rag
  • Qtips for those hard to get spots
  • A buddy to press the gas with the key on the ON (don't turn car on ) position else the valve wont open.
Spray a bit on valve when its in the closed position (don't go crazy just a few bursts) then spray on the rag and wipe everything clean
don't forget to let your buddy press the gas pedal after for you to be able to clean that whole butterfly valve (don't be too rough with it though).
After wards assemble everything back, start the car and let it run a while. If you throw a CEL it should go away on its own else reset.

Well I hope this will help I'm no mechanic so if i have made any errors please correct me.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-21-2018 at 01:38 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-22-2011, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is actually one of the survices we offer at our toyota dealership. Its part of the EFI service also known as the Fuel Injection service. It is recomended to be done every 30k miles. Part of the service also includes a BG 44k gas treatment that is used to clean the fuel injectors and entire fuel system along with a BG Intake treatment to remove all the gunk out of the intake system after the throttle body
Old 07-22-2011, 10:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

ive got the same problem... i will be doing this very soon!
Old 07-22-2011, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member

I had this exact same problem for over a year with my 07. I came here for advice but nobody had any. It was definitely a pain in the rear, glad its gone. And congrats on your problem solved!
Old 07-22-2011, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thnx and i hope to hear good news from the fellow member when you try it.

I mean i went thru new plugs new oil, air filter none of it helped, its was kind of silly to see it was such a simple solution to my prob. Should be around 3$ a can at napa if not less.

And if it looks clean id say dont mess with it though, have a looksee first to see if theres is any build up.

Conditions here are a bit rough on cars and our fuel quality is also so so, we have our own refinary here on the island but it doesnt bestil allot of trust. We only have one fuel source so not much option in fuel.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

p.s. fuel not the issue with a dirty t/b, im just stating that its very dusty, hot 82-90 degress year round. So conditions are tough on cars in general.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did the same replace the Spark Plugs, Seafoam but idle rough and bad gas milleage, and I didn't think of the T/B until the day I did a trade my RL for TRD setup and the guy told me that, I've been trying to look for a DIY. but I guess I gotta do this tune up this weekend. maybe take some pictures too of how it looks like at 77k 07 tC
Old 07-22-2011, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

very interesting,gonna check out mine
Old 07-23-2011, 07:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

PLEASE STICKY THIS!!!!

This is exactly how I cleaned mine. It was gummed up with carbon as well. This definitely needs to be sticky-ed.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe i didnt search well enough but couldnt find a clear answer for my rough idle. So i hope this simple cleanup will help others
Old 07-24-2011, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LostCause
Maybe i didnt search well enough but couldnt find a clear answer for my rough idle. So i hope this simple cleanup will help others
yup this was the issue of stumbling for my tC, the maf sensor dirty was the idle being rough. I was able to piece together what was wrong by a couple different posts but I like this to be a sticky, since all the info is in one post, simple! that's why I like it. good job!
Old 07-28-2011, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am not sure if it was the same issue I had before, but it seems like this might solve my current issue with rough and low idling. My car has died a couple times dropping below 500 rpm

Previously my throttle body has died twice during the summer and the dealership replaced it twice under warranty. My car is now out of warranty and I want to avoid my throttle body dying a third time. They never figured out why and were frustrated at having to replace it a second time. I had an injen air intake on my car until it died the first time and I removed it after that happened.

Just kinda an fyi on this post, and I just posted in another thread about it.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

found this on youtube. i am going to try it tomorrow.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I finally got around to clean my throttle body last week, and start using 93oct premium, my idle drop a little when I sit at redlight and A/C goes on I hear knocking noise everytime the A/C is pushing on ilde. Very enoying issue and I feel ashame when there's an older car next to me with their window down, they can hear the knocking noise from A/C. So there wasn't that dirty in my throttle body for a 63k 07, just lightly smokes dirt, but it was imazing! after that it threw 2 codes, clear it haven't comes back for 1week. idle kinda sit little bit higher 1-1.2k but it's getting better by time within 1k idle and that enoying knocking sound from my A/C I had when I was at around 20k about 3.5yrs back when my front end damage, has to replace the A/C condensor then I found out my A/C wasn't cold like before, and enoying knocking sound, though it coming from the engine. Just can't believe that's the TB the whole issue that I had for the whole time. also with 93oct now I can see I'm getting about 20-30mils more out of my whole tank!
Old 08-30-2011, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did this a while ago and my car ran clean for about a day. I guess I need to clean it way more than I did (only sprayed the rag a little and didn't really push hard or anything) Hoping this will clear up my idle problem I posted about earlier.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I didn't have the throttle body cleaner at the time so I just use the MAF sensor cleaner and clean both the MAF sensor and my throttle body, now about 10 days my idle kinda up and down between 1-1.4k, it'll stay high when I start the engine and driving it for 3-5min it will drop down to around 1.1k and staying between 1-1.1k
Old 08-30-2011, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by a-mendoza
This is actually one of the survices we offer at our toyota dealership. Its part of the EFI service also known as the Fuel Injection service. It is recomended to be done every 30k miles. Part of the service also includes a BG 44k gas treatment that is used to clean the fuel injectors and entire fuel system along with a BG Intake treatment to remove all the gunk out of the intake system after the throttle body
Good to hear from a professional!
Old 08-30-2011, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

started cleaning my throttle body...holy wall of buildup. It was extremely thick and I thought a rag would do. In a little im going to grab a tooth brush and get back at her. Thinking that BG intake treatment might be what my car needs if the TB is that bad. what do you guys think. I only sprayed the rag not the actual throttle body. Will this stuff hydrolock my car if i spray enough but let it sit?
Old 06-08-2014, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Still have rough idling.

06 tc w/ 67000mi. Cleaned T/B and map sensor, does ok at about 700 rpm's but turn on the air con and it drops to about 600 or 650 and starts to chadder. I thought they had an idle compensator for the air con. My 2000 integra idle doesn't change when air is on. Anyone know about this?
Old 06-08-2014, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Smile

Originally Posted by beach2916
06 tc w/ 67000mi. Cleaned T/B and map sensor, does ok at about 700 rpm's but turn on the air con and it drops to about 600 or 650 and starts to chadder. I thought they had an idle compensator for the air con. My 2000 integra idle doesn't change when air is on. Anyone know about this?
yes, you need to disconnect the battery for 10-20mins, reconnect the battery. This will help the computer re-learn everything, I've seen where the computer will learn a dirty MAF sensor and adjust everything else. Clean it, then the computer doesn't know what's going on, this is why you're getting a stumbling at idle when it's clean. It will re-adjust over time but quicker to unplug the battery and let the computer start from zero and learn.

your integra has the same thing, except with the integra the re-learn process is to unplug the battery, plug it back in, start the car, let it idle without touching anything for 10 mins.. the tC is different in that it will just re-learn.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rough idle finally gone (Dirty T/B)