Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

What is the Track Button on the xB for?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default What is the Track Button on the xB for?

I don't have a manual. Also, what is it for?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-02-2018 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Title in All Caps (Shouting)
Old 12-04-2006, 12:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

are ya for real? dude look in the owners manual. VSC, it'll keep your box fly'n right, lol
Old 12-04-2006, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't have a owners manual........that is why I'm asking here. I just got the cars few weeks ago.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:58 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

If it's the TRAC button you speak of, it is for the traction control. There is not a button to disable the VSC.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats what I was wondering too! When I turn it off it still doesn't let me slide around What the use off having it

Anyways, it turns off/on your traction control. So, when your going straight your wheels wont spin. If its off they will. It does not turn off the VSC (Vehicle Stability Control), which keeps you from spinning out of control.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

def not for vsc......it just lets the wheels spin
Old 12-04-2006, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so since i have an auto, and if i turn off the traction control, and i want to launch hard, i can spin my wheels ? is that the gist of it ?
Old 12-04-2006, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes
Old 12-04-2006, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually you more likely will spin one wheel. I had mine on at nearly the top of a really steep driveway and was spinning my way through the snow down to the pavement when it kicked in and nearly stalled the engine - I ended up rolling backwards down a 16 degree steep driveway lined with trees. When that happens you have to watch out for locked front wheels as the ABS doesn't deal with that too well and you end up without much steering control until you let off the brakes.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I shouldn't even mention it, because for those without off-roading experience this could get you in SERIOUS trouble, but for me anytime it snows I turn off the traction control.

Now, before you decide I'm completely psychotic, my last car was a '96 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4, and I took that truck screaming through terrain I'd be reluctant to attempt on foot, for fear of sinking up to my armpits and starving to death. As any off-roader will tell you, the first rule of off-roading is: NEVER LOSE YOUR MOMENTUM. So you do a lot of wheel-spinning. Traction control prevents this. Thusly...

I realize the xB is not exactly an off-road vehicle, but we here in Chicago just got 15 inches of extremely wet snow, and there were quite a few times where I've had to punch it and spin my way through deep slush.

In that respect, two-wheeling is a LOT like four-wheeling, except it's much slower, and your blood pressure rises about 400 points. @_@ Very nerve-wracking.

I probably should have stayed home.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it tracks down missing keys
Old 12-05-2006, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NeverBePeace
I don't have a manual. Also, what is it for?
Didn't you ever watch Speed Racer? You push that button and traction spikes pop out of your tires.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-02-2018 at 11:20 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-05-2006, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Location: 'Burbs Farmington Hills - go to school in Boulder, CO

/\
lolol

Anyways, while were talking about traction, or the lack of, what is the best way to keep traction in this Box? I'm getting snow tires, but anything else (besides stealing my cats kitty litter!) can I do to get traction?

p.s. I just started driving a few months ago, so this is my first battle with snow. spinouts freak me out in this Box, considering how it IS a Box. I KNOW it won't tip, but still...

- () doughnuts!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-02-2018 at 11:23 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-05-2006, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Really light throttle is best and you can rev the engine extra with really light throttle or lug it (low rpm) to control the max torque so you don't spin. Bigger problem is stopping - easy on the brakes and brake early - leave plenty of room between you and the vehicle ahead of you and watch the cars further down the road and watch what they are doing in case the vehicle ahead of you is not paying attention. If your ABS do not kick in then pump the brakes yourself if you feel a skid. Downshift and use engine braking and keep the front wheels turning so you have steering control is the most important thing. If you lock up the front wheels you can't turn. Snow banks are softer than trees or utility poles or other vehicles. More traction can usually be had in the breakdown lane since they are usually paved with a ruff surface. Black Ice put it in neutral or push the clutch in - better to be able to steer and go straight than to try slowing down and skidding. When going backwards down hill the front wheels will lock up easily since they have more braking power so keep that in mind should you need to turn - you have to let off the brakes so the wheels are turning.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does the box really have stability control?
I mean...I knew it had ABS and Trac contol, but stability control too?
Bonus.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:37 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by typhoonorchid
Does the box really have stability control?
I mean...I knew it had ABS and Trac contol, but stability control too?
Bonus.
Yes. Get it in some snow or ice and get up some speed and cut the wheel and it will beep and lights will flash to let you know the VSC is working. That loud beep is pretty alarming the first time it goes off. Then the car magically corrects itself to be aimed the way you steered. It's glorious.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Max
Yes. Get it in some snow or ice and get up some speed and cut the wheel and it will beep and lights will flash to let you know the VSC is working. That loud beep is pretty alarming the first time it goes off. Then the car magically corrects itself to be aimed the way you steered. It's glorious.
IT'S THE COOLEST FREAKING THING I HAVE EVER SEEN. It also saved my life once.

Yes, it is alarming on a level I can't adequately describe when the car starts beeping and then - seriously - STEERING itself, but when it stops 5 feet later it's truly amazing.

I used to tutor classmates at my school how to drive in the snow (we had people from all over the U.S, and I'm a born-and-raised Chicago driver), and I've never seen anything like it. Ours is one of the cheapest cars on the planet with standard VSC. It's the best thing evar. :D

Now then, the best bet for learning snow driving - and I recommend this for every single person this board - is to wait for it to snow, take it to a parking lot, and drive like a complete idiot until you have the hang of it. Slam on the brakes. Take turns too fast. Pull the emergency brake. Try to spin it. This is the only possible way you are going to learn how your Scion reacts.

The first time you slam on the brakes in your car should NOT be when a 12-year-old has wandered in front of your vehicle. Find out how it responds before a situation arises where that knowledge could save your life.

a few tips from a relative expert - know IN ADVANCE if there's any big potholes, parking barriers, or pieces of concrete that might be hidden under the snow. Leave PLENTY of room between you and trees, roads, and parked cars...plan on skidding three times as far as you think you're going to. If you're under 25 years old, take a parent with you - Mr. Fuzzy, you especially should take your mom. A 16-year-old doing donuts alone in a parking lot gets arrested. A 16-year-old with a 45-year-old woman riding shotgun gets commended for smart thinking.

We're in for a long winter, so good luck, everybody.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ZOMGXB
Now then, the best bet for learning snow driving - and I recommend this for every single person this board - is to wait for it to snow, take it to a parking lot, and drive like a complete idiot until you have the hang of it. Slam on the brakes. Take turns too fast. Pull the emergency brake. Try to spin it. This is the only possible way you are going to learn how your Scion reacts.
Couldn't agree with this more. My buddy has been buying Jeeps since he was 16, and one of the things the guy at the dealership told him, was to have fun with it when it got slippery and snowy. Obviously, his old man was with him and didnt quite understand it. The sales guy said that was the best way to get used to a new car and be able to safely drive it when the big crap hit.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

I'll never get to use that feature, whats snow look like, those of us down south get summer and a sorta winter where its not 100 anymore
Old 12-12-2008, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Back to the TOP.... I searched and this was the closest thread I could find, also thought it was funny...

But seriously....

Does anyone know how to disable the VSC on the xB1? Either by holding some button or manually removing a fuse from somewhere?

Quick Reply: What is the Track Button on the xB for?